Obama

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Obama

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

shawnsegler wrote:We need to change the system dramatically.

Only happens in the movies...

Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:48 pm

shawnsegler wrote:This only two options thing sucks a fat dick. I don't know anybody who's completely a democrat or completely a republican and the people I know who are are crazy fuckers who shouldn't be allowed in on the decision making process anyway. This in itself paint the system as incredibly flawed.

One guy gets in and everybody complains about how shitty they are and how we're really going to show them by voting for the other side and then that guys sucks too and we bounce back and forth and nothing ever changes.

We need to change the system dramatically.

S

Agreed. The two party system no longer works. When a Democrat like Obama gets elected, none of the Republicans will vote for any of his legislation. Why? Because they want him to fail so that in the next election the Republicans will be voted back in, but when they are voted back in then none of the Democrats will vote for their legislation, so they too will fail and the Democrats will get back in. This will go on forever, and nothing of significance will ever get done. This is Washington, DC grid lock and it's what pisses off most Americans. We elected Obama to change the way Washington works, but it is impossible because of this stupid, broken two party system. The Republicans will never support him because that would show everyone that the Democrats are doing a good job, and the electorate would then continue to vote in Democrats, so in our system of government it would be political suicide for the opposite party to support any meaningful legislation of the party in office. We are thus condemned to put up with this shit forever, unless we change the two party system.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:36 pm

shawnsegler wrote:This only two options thing sucks a fat dick. I don't know anybody who's completely a democrat or completely a republican and the people I know who are are crazy fuckers who shouldn't be allowed in on the decision making process anyway. This in itself paint the system as incredibly flawed.

One guy gets in and everybody complains about how shitty they are and how we're really going to show them by voting for the other side and then that guys sucks too and we bounce back and forth and nothing ever changes.

We need to change the system dramatically.

S

yeah , we want a representative democracy up here too.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Ron makes a good point: there's party gridlock. However, that is Exactly what the Framers intended. The system is designed so that change will be slow. The Presidency is just an office; he's not a dictator. It's a two-party system, but there are all sorts of Dems and Repubs. The problem is imo stupid party loyalty. That is: when someone votes for or against someone because of his or her party affiliation. That is compounded by misinformation and disinformation (i.e.: lies and damn lies) promoted by individuals purely based on party affiliation. It's very true --too true to say-- that the American people voted against McCain-Palin. It's ok to complain that there were only two choices; but, it's just whining. People who have really been oppressed have had to suffer through it, and they made it somehow. The system didn't change them; they changed the system.

As for Obama: first off, the "he is the Second Coming" stories about peoples' beliefs is just a myth, started during the campaign by the people who carried signs in protest demonstrations. Most of the people I spoke to said he was just another politician, but way better than the choice. They did think, however, that he represented something they felt was important enough to vote for. I said it then, and I'll say it agin. It's just rhetoric; but, that's how they get people to vote for them. It's what makes them popular. As for disillusionment, no one is more dissatisfied than the left (just listen to NPR) because he is too far to the right.

When the Dems had the super-majority, if they acted as a whole, the entire health care plan would have been settled. So, removing the fillibuster-proofing was/is unnecessary. However, it's being touted as a referendum. I remember when the Repubs controlled the House, Senate and the Presidency. It wasn't "better." I'm an Independent --cause I have to register. I don't vote because I think a party or a person will make my life better. Anyway, it would really be nice if we could find a way out of the Afghan jam; but, as in all cases, imo, it won't be a military solution. In the meantime, I'm glad the emphasis has finally been put on jobs --but not public works jobs. It's not about taxes; it's about how the taxes are spent. They're closing schools in NYC because of budget worries.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic