Got Beer?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Got Beer?

Postby Methods on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Hahaha - I missed those posts by Dale, I love that stuff...
Nothing is wrong with Dale quiting, heck I have two friends that dont drink anymore - good for them.
Its the posting of its bad for you on a beer thread that set me off, I would have the same reaction if we were talking about carne asada tacos and some ass of a vegetarian spoke up on how meat will kill you - its just annoying.
Last edited by Methods on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:45 pm

O dont know what this ere thread is about but I am drinking me some sum rum and I am mighty happy wit it. Salude!
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Mut on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:58 pm

personally I like Tasmanian beer... particularly coopers pale ale. Bwediful!

ohhhh.... and I have lost 7 kgs (15 or so pounds) so far this year without giving up beer( that would be a sin)
Last edited by Mut on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:34 am

stiegl...austrian beer .. absolutely smooth, refreshing and a very delicate flavour
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:13 pm

http://www.livescience.com/health/beer- ... dline+Feed)

If you downed one too many while watching the Super Bowl, here's at least one reason to hold your head high: Drinking beer can be good for your health.

But seriously, a new analysis of 100 commercial beers shows the hoppy beverage is a significant source of dietary silicon, a key ingredient for bone health.

Got beer? ( hmmm syncronicity???) ;D

While the researchers are not recommending gulping beer to meet your silicon intake needs, their study does add to others on the potential health benefits of this cold beverage.

The type of silicon in beer, called orthosilicic acid, has a 50 percent bioavailability, meaning that much is available for use in the body. Some foods, like bananas are rich in silicon but only 5 percent is bioavailable. This soluble form of silica found in beer could be important for the growth and development of bone and connective tissue, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Past research has suggested that moderate beer consumption may help fight osteoporosis, a disease characterized by low bone mass and deterioration of bone tissue.

http://www.grapesandgrainsnyc.com/wp-co ... t-girl.jpg

Seems beer is good for mens bones... :o
Last edited by Chanchu on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Chanchu wrote:
Seems beer is good for mens boners... :o

incorrected :)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:58 pm

I use beer to bring my testosterone levels down to that of mortals. Plus I was getting tired of the back zits, insatiable sex drive and constant raging erections.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:14 pm

One of my local breweries is bringing together Chinese medicine and beer.

http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/marin-brewing-releases-e-s-chi/
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:09 pm

This thread needs a song:

Chris Fleming

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:32 pm

A little more traditional, but still a great beer song.

Charlie Mops
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 pm

Tom wrote:
Bär wrote: I was getting tired of the back zits, insatiable sex drive and constant raging erections.

Oh you poor thing.

It's a burden, but someone's got to use all of this chi for fun instead of fightin'.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:46 am

I have never understood why someone likes beer ;)
Last edited by Patrick on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:26 am

Dale gives up ale? Huzzah! More brews for the rest of us!

Next, he needs to go gay: That will be one more heteto male competitor out of the way...
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby QuaiJohnCain on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:43 am

Dale Dugas wrote:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1852439/

Hops are scientifically shown to contain potent estrogenic compounds. Not BS as professed by Methods. Methods, you really have to do some more research before you rant. It makes you look stupid.

I posted up photos to show that a simple subtraction in beer has caused a significant shift in both my weight and overall general health. Yes, I let myself go a bit as I sit in classes 20 + hours per week working towards my Masters in Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine. Seems this Chinese Medical practitioner seems to have a better handle on what you call BS.

be my guest gentlemen to risk your health imbibing herbs that contain highly estrogenic compounds that could contribute to your health declining and your hormones being affected.

better to drink wine than beer anyday. The chemicals in wine are shown to be good for you whereas hops are good for menopausal women.

Dale,

Provided is information from actual medical research.

In studies using mice, oestrogenic effects of hops did not kick in until concentrations exceeded that of beer by 500 times. http://www.reproduction-online.org/cgi/content/abstract/123/2/235

8-PRENYLNARINGENIN is the phytoestrogen in hops... It is almost completely metabolised into other, non estrogenic substances by the liver: http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/content/32/2/272.abstract ... you will have to do your own homework on the metabolites, it would take dozens of pages here. Furthermore, there is not one study- repeat- not one, that has proven a link in any case. (Try and find one) Nor with soy for that matter. What has been proven is that the individuals genes and general level of health determine the reaction to exogenous oestrogenic compunds, rather than the compounds themselves.

....and you might want to rethink your stance on the prostate issue... It turns out that xanthohumol, another substance found in hops, is one of the most powerful anti-prostate cancer substances as thus found yet... http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/285909

The fact that you lost some weight after dropping beer is likely more related to the reduction of the intake of excessive levels of sugar found in beer. Higher sugar intake leads to higher insulin levels, as well as insulin resistance, which are the strongest antagonists to oestrogenic effects in men known.

As a side note, for five years up to last summer, I drank COPIOUS amounts of the hoppiest beers on the planet. No man boobs. Genes.

Just sayin'... ;)
Last edited by QuaiJohnCain on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
QuaiJohnCain

Postby Andy_S on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 am

QJC:

Thank fuck for that!

I drink the best ale I can find whenever I find it as often as I can, and can reassure everyone that my man boobs are rippling slabs of chappish muscle.

Please search for, analyse and post further scientific research issue discounting that old shibboleth, "brewer's droop."

While you're doing that - I'll head over to the pub, where I'll hoist a pint to ye.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic