bagua footwork in sports

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

bagua footwork in sports

Postby everything on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:49 am

just wondering if you've tried to use bagua footwork in sports or found yourself doing so. if it's as good as claimed it should help with various activities besides bagua and other martial arts. i am especially interested in seeing what i can do with it in soccer/football, though it's obviously even more complicated by dribbling.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: bagua footwork in sports

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Bagua footwork is great for all kinds of dancing, as well as for basketball, tennis, and volleyball, which are the only sports I ever play. :)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Having used bagua footwork for several years while waiting tables, I can pretty much say I use bagua footwork 24/7.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:19 pm

have used ba gua stepping and hand movments many time when raving.. sort of allows one to get enough space to get funktastic...however I've also seen my training brother doing dragon circle walking on a dance floor... not a pretty sight :p
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:56 pm

shawnsegler wrote:Having used bagua footwork for several years while waiting tables, I can pretty much say I use bagua footwork 24/7.

So you're saying you have the bagua-foot? The finesse of the strike!
Chris Fleming

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:43 pm

I've got decent footwork. I've practiced real hard with it.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:36 pm

basketball and some in handball
Areios
Wuji

Postby meeks on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:12 pm

I don't really look at bagua stepping as a technique where you can turn it on or off as you please. To me it's more of a natural way of moving that gets ingrained into your body as you practise it - so then it's either there or not all the time.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Mr_Wood on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 pm

I practice sometimes when walking through crowded spaces. I guess it can be applied to anything that requires moving, whether or not it would actually benefit a sport like football or tennis im not sure :-\
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:56 pm

meeks wrote:I don't really look at bagua stepping as a technique where you can turn it on or off as you please. To me it's more of a natural way of moving that gets ingrained into your body as you practise it - so then it's either there or not all the time.

makes sense it should be ingrained, but not because it's natural but rather through long training. toe-in, toe-out seems very unnatural to me (but very smart). pivoting is usually taught in sports like basketball and also seems much more natural. I think the toe in toe out after long practice would help with even better agility but have no anecdotal evidence/experience yet...

seems like the overall skills should help in (American) football. Not sure of (rest of the world) football.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby meeks on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:43 am

I meant "it becomes natural"
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Alexander on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:09 am

In general, simply sinking your weight a bit, not letting your head bob, and walking smoothly is immensely useful if you're walking through a busy crowd, or need to change directions, or are waitering somewhere. It's much harder to lose your balance. I frequently practice this centered stepping when I hear my tea kettle go off from upstairs -- I run down the stairs, sink, and then quickly snag the heavy tea kettle off the burner without losing balance. I can easily see how the story of Dong Hai Chuan getting recognized while waitering in the Prince's palace would be possible.
Alexander
Huajing

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:15 am

I spent several years honing my bagua footwork as a waiter and it's amazingly useful for moving through large amounts of people at speed while balancing things.

S- knows that walking stuff pretty well.
Last edited by shawnsegler on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 am

seems like the overall skills should help in (American) football.

The more I do this stuff, the more I'm convinced that the proper cadence for fighting where you have multiple opponents and room to move around is pretty much the same as that of american football.

You want to be agile and impacting.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:17 pm

shawnsegler wrote:
seems like the overall skills should help in (American) football.

The more I do this stuff, the more I'm convinced that the proper cadence for fighting where you have multiple opponents and room to move around is pretty much the same as that of american football.

You want to be agile and impacting.

S

lol almost makes one want to go find out, armed servicemen in a bar a little drunk against the locals style, but I take your word for it on the waiting tables thing
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic