romanian deadlift 1-leg vs. other?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

romanian deadlift 1-leg vs. other?

Postby everything on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:54 am

See this exercise: http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledg ... rbell.html

Now what traditional CMA exercises might be similar but better? I think johnwang often posts one where the rear leg also pushes a heavy pole up.

I'd like to combine them all or something to get more benefit in less time. Otherwise, the one in the link above is general but pretty good for leg lift type throws.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: romanian deadlift 1-leg vs. other?

Postby David Boxen on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:09 pm

I don't know about a traditional CMA version, but I like to do it with one dumbbell (e.g. stand on left leg, weight in right hand) and then rest the dumbbell on the knee as you bring the knee up in front of the body.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby everything on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:59 pm

ah cool so you do a sort of knee raise after the hamstring exercise?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Brady on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:58 pm

I'd do it with a sandbag over shoulder, add a twist to the front leg, and make it more ballistic. I don't know how much help your throw is going to get from the deadlift exercise . . . pretty different muscle recruitment involved.
Brady
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:19 pm

I don't know but it seems to coordinate upper and lower well for something like osoto gari or similar
everything
Wuji

Postby fuga on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:50 pm

I am with Brady. It seems like the idea of combining them might not make the most sense. I hear you on wanting to get a single exercise that meets multiple purposes but some times it does not work that way. There are some exercises that are great for building overall strength (such as squats and DLs) but other ones are more specific to a skill set and usually seem best at lower weights.

Why not just do some of the exercises that John Wang has been so kind as to share with us? There is also a youtube channel that has a bunch of other chinese wrestling apparatus that look like they would help build explosiveness in throws. How are other judoka training for throws? Might be worth seeing what others are doing.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Brady on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:58 pm

everything wrote:I don't know but it seems to coordinate upper and lower well for something like osoto gari or similar

To elaborate a bit, it is a pretty good exercise, and is useful for training the hamstring eccentrically (the way we can overstrain our hamstrings) if that is something you are weak with.

I don't think that it "coordinates" upper and lower is similar to a throw. Changing the exercise to make it a quick bottom up motion with a twist, and putting the weight behind you is probably more task specific.
Brady
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Brady wrote:
everything wrote:I don't know but it seems to coordinate upper and lower well for something like osoto gari or similar

To elaborate a bit, it is a pretty good exercise, and is useful for training the hamstring eccentrically (the way we can overstrain our hamstrings) if that is something you are weak with.

I don't think that it "coordinates" upper and lower is similar to a throw. Changing the exercise to make it a quick bottom up motion with a twist, and putting the weight behind you is probably more task specific.

Yes, like doing brush knee with the leg lift added. That is what I mean that it "coordinates" upper and lower - you are doing a turning push/pull motion while twisting and lifting the leg. The reason I don't do the pole thing is I don't have a pole.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic