Knife Attack Footage from China

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Knife Attack Footage from China

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:40 pm

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjc2MDQ3OTY=.html

Pretty gruesome stuff. Precisely why I train.
Ian

Re: Knife Attack Footage from China

Postby PartridgeRun on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 am

Twisted bastards.

They'll bite the bullet...can't say I've got a problem with that.
"The bank was saved, but the people were ruined."
- Henry M. Gouge, circa 1830
“No civilization can survive the physical destruction of its resource base.”
- Bruce Sterling
PartridgeRun
Anjing

Postby Areios on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:17 am

wow... anyone can translate what are they saying?
Areios
Wuji

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:54 am

The gang members were stalking the internet cafe looking for rich kids to mug. The fat kid had a slightly more expensive drink with him, so he was picked as a target. All gang members came from poor, rural families. Said they treated it like a game.
Ian

Postby gzregorz on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:38 am

As much as I hate to say it I'm not surprised people aren't doing anything.

I think this public reaction is more common than we'd like to think.

How many people were murdered?
Last edited by gzregorz on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby AllanF on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 am

I think the reaction from people is one of pure fear and is expected anywhere in the world.
Pretty brutal attacks!
AllanF

Postby gzregorz on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:55 am

AllanF wrote:I think the reaction from people is one of pure fear and is expected anywhere in the world.
Pretty brutal attacks!

It's easier to just look the other way.
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:47 am

People for the most part will not act when these situations occur.

In virtually every single circumstance that has ever arisen and been filmed, the behaviours of the bystanders is unchanged.
It's not that they don't care, it's that they are relieved it's not happening to them. This is how people are preyed upon and how predators know they can continue these behaviours.

As a society, we have not conditioned our thinking towards good samaritan/ protector roles. We condition ourselves to remain aloof. Don't talk to strangers, avoid avoid, hide, run away, be quiet, etc etc.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:People for the most part will not act when these situations occur.

In virtually every single circumstance that has ever arisen and been filmed, the behaviours of the bystanders is unchanged.
It's not that they don't care, it's that they are relieved it's not happening to them. This is how people are preyed upon and how predators know they can continue these behaviours.

As a society, we have not conditioned our thinking towards good samaritan/ protector roles. We condition ourselves to remain aloof. Don't talk to strangers, avoid avoid, hide, run away, be quiet, etc etc.

True that.
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:38 am

I'd like to think that a few of us on here would have smashed a monitor on that kid's head who lead that one outside to his death.

Not going to watch the video, but it's true that "most" people will not act. But, it's because most people aren't trained to act or taught how. Some would argue that such incidents are the reason some people study martial arts. Of those, some imagine themselves as the victim, and others imagine themselves as the bystander.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby chimerical tortoise on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:01 pm

If memory serves (has been a few days since I saw the clip), there are two 'bystanders' near the victim who get assaulted too.

Steve James is absolutely right though. I was in a net cafe last time in Shanghai when two women got into a rather violent tiff, and nobody even craned their necks from behind the monitor. The staff were trying to get them out of the establishment but they didn't dare do anything physical. Others were just smug/glad that it wasn't them.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby AllanF on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:48 pm

I don't think China is different to any other country in that regard. I remember as a 18 year old out on a night out with my mates and a fight broke out about 10m ahead of us in the line. It escalated and knives and bottles are introduced. Everyone scattered and left them to it.

It is all very easy to sit in the comfort of our homes and tell the world that we would do something about it, that we are 'hard as nails' and 'not on my watch' etc. But when a machete welding nutter walks in and starts hacking away, i think 99% of people will first think of themselves. [Of course i'd be in the 1% cause i'm hard as feck...he says sitting behind the comfort of his computer screen in the safety of his home!]
AllanF

Postby gzregorz on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:38 am

This is why the police always say don't try to be a hero.
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Mas Judt on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:People for the most part will not act when these situations occur.

Not in the neighborhood I grew up in. When we got our first gang, they finally begged us to stop terrorizing them. They could not operate when EVERYONE fucked with them. We never saw a gang again while I was in school.
Mas Judt
Santi

Postby gosao on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Not helping out people in need is common all over the world. Let's not jump on.. oh this is typical of Chinese people or whatever. Just a short while ago around my parts in the SF bay area there was a girl that got gang raped out in the open while tons of people just walked on by and didn't give a crap. I think some even joined in!
gosao
Huajing

Next

Return to Off the Topic