Knife Attack Footage from China

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Knife Attack Footage from China

Postby AllanF on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:16 pm

gzregorz wrote:In the States we'd just shoot the nutter...problem solved. ;)

LOL hadn't thought about that!
gosao wrote:Not helping out people in need is common all over the world. Let's not jump on.. oh this is typical of Chinese people or whatever. Just a short while ago around my parts in the SF bay area there was a girl that got gang raped out in the open while tons of people just walked on by and didn't give a crap. I think some even joined in!

Now that is fecked up!
AllanF

Postby gosao on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:20 pm

^yep pretty messed up...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/27/cal ... stigation/

"Based on witness statements and suspect statements, and also physical evidence, we know that she was raped by at least four suspects committing multiple sex acts," Gagan said.

"As people announced over time that this was going on, more people came to see, and some actually participated," Gagan said.
gosao
Huajing

Postby gzregorz on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:24 pm

gosao wrote:Not helping out people in need is common all over the world. Let's not jump on.. oh this is typical of Chinese people or whatever. Just a short while ago around my parts in the SF bay area there was a girl that got gang raped out in the open while tons of people just walked on by and didn't give a crap. I think some even joined in!

Every country does things differently and we have to understand that.
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:34 am

Steve James wrote:
I'd like to think that a few of us on here would have smashed a monitor on that kid's head who lead that one outside to his death.

Not going to watch the video, but it's true that "most" people will not act. But, it's because most people aren't trained to act or taught how. Some would argue that such incidents are the reason some people study martial arts. Of those, some imagine themselves as the victim, and others imagine themselves as the bystander.

Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day. I noticed that I almost never imagined myself as an attacker. But I try it from now and then, it's interesting. I balance it all at the end by imagining myself surviving the attack. BTW, I am not watching it either. At least not now.
Last edited by Darthwing Teorist on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:36 am

Not to be insensitive, but look at the "crazy" gunman on the military base: lots of weapons around, no one shot him. I am not sure that having weapons changes much. Proper training, mental and physical, does though, no matter the weapons at hand.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby DaDa on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:38 am

Welp, American people don't help, they just sit around watching. I wouldn't expect anything more from Americans.
It's just different there.

Yup~
Last edited by DaDa on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
動靜無始
自然而然

虛虛實實
變化無端
DaDa
Huajing

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:53 am

Mas Judt wrote:
Darth Rock&Roll wrote:People for the most part will not act when these situations occur.

In virtually every single circumstance that has ever arisen and been filmed, the behaviours of the bystanders is unchanged.
It's not that they don't care, it's that they are relieved it's not happening to them. This is how people are preyed upon and how predators know they can continue these behaviours.

As a society, we have not conditioned our thinking towards good samaritan/ protector roles. We condition ourselves to remain aloof. Don't talk to strangers, avoid avoid, hide, run away, be quiet, etc etc.

Not in the neighborhood I grew up in. When we got our first gang, they finally begged us to stop terrorizing them. They could not operate when EVERYONE fucked with them. We never saw a gang again while I was in school.

I think that this is the exception. If only we would all do the same, there would be less gangs.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:02 am

Well, intervention is a cultural thing. If you do wrong in some places, the people around will "correct" you. The idea is not so foreign, either. When I was growing up, adults felt free to correct the bad behavior of any child. Nowadays, people would worry about being sued or having the child's parents go berserk. Imo, it's the cult of individualism that creates the problem. Though, people who come from highly 'socialized' countries often act like idiots when they leave their homelands. Shucks, that's why lots of them come/came here. The desire to "stay out of it" in the States is purely a product of culture. However, self-preservation is basic human nature that can be overcome by training or instinct --or simple anger.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 am

Righteous anger. ;)
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:52 am

Darthwing Teorist wrote:Righteous anger. ;)

Indeed, and truly, there is such a thing.

See; Jesus and the moneychangers. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:27 am

Darthwing Teorist wrote:

Not to be insensitive, but look at the "crazy" gunman on the military base: lots of weapons around, no one shot him. I am not sure that having weapons changes much. Proper training, mental and physical, does though, no matter the weapons at hand.

Actually he was shot.
Last edited by gzregorz on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:32 am

DaDa wrote:Welp, American people don't help, they just sit around watching. I wouldn't expect anything more from Americans.
It's just different there.

Yup~

Really?
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:41 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
Darthwing Teorist wrote:Righteous anger. ;)

Indeed, and truly, there is such a thing.

See; Jesus and the moneychangers. :)

Yes. There is a time and place for anger and a proper ass-whoopin'.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:02 pm

This is truly scary footage,there have been a number of occasions when I have come to the aid of victims being preyed upon, and I must admit each time it was on second thought that I realized what I HAD to do. I have also come to realize that predators are bullies, and have been fortunate that my show of physical presence alone many times have been enough to defuse a situation, again fortunate that the times action was necessary, I was qualified. And i have been smart enough to recognize criminal on criminal crime , and STAY TF OUT OF IT.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic