Why do we hate Iran

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Why do we hate Iran

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:15 pm

I feel sorry for the people of Iran. From what I have heard they were a country that had made great strides for womens rights and other issues before the current group came to power. The recent elections were fiascos and anything but fair. The people deserve better than that.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Sprint on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:09 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:I feel sorry for the people of Iran. From what I have heard they were a country that had made great strides for womens rights and other issues before the current group came to power. The recent elections were fiascos and anything but fair. The people deserve better than that.

From what I've been told by a friend who was, until just a few years ago, a regular visitor to Iran a lot of the younger better off generation of women are very Westernized. Iran is a very civilized society - far more so than you might believe. This notion of women's rights is a smokescreen - not because they are totally free, but because those who would see Iran under the Western yoke once again don't really give a flying f*ck about anyone's rights but their own.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby zenshiite on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:I feel sorry for the people of Iran. From what I have heard they were a country that had made great strides for womens rights and other issues before the current group came to power. The recent elections were fiascos and anything but fair. The people deserve better than that.

Iran, under the Shah, was more repressive and dictatorial than it has ever been under the Islamic government established by Ayatollah Khomeini.

It's not a "great stride" for women's rights when the government actually bans the wearing of Islamic modest dress and the Iranian traditional take on it, the chador, and that leaves most women who wanted to continue wearing that form of dress with no recourse but to never go out in public. It kept women from going to schools at all levels. Since the Islamic Revolution more women have gone to and graduated university than ever before in the history of Iran. One can say the same for women's presence in the government. There are more women as representatives in Iran's parliament than there are in many Western governments', especially the United States. About the only place in Iran, now, that you'll see the majority of women wearing the chador(the black cloak that covers from head to do, but leaves the face uncovered unlike the Saudi niqab or Afghan burqa) is Qom... the most important religious learning center in Iran and perhaps the entire worldwide Shia community.

Like Sprint said, women's rights is a popular smokescreen used by people who wish to impose cultural and economic imperialism over Iran. That was the whole reason they got rid of the Shah in the first place, his so-called "White Revolution" where he attempted to force everyone in Iran to Westernize. They didn't want it. Most still don't, not even the young people. Until the recent heavy-handedness of Khamenei and especially the Revolutionary Guards, most of them still wanted to keep the Islamic government but with a bit more personal freedom.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic