More Road Rage Murders

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: More Road Rage Murders

Postby bigphatwong on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:03 am

- since John F. Kennedy was assassinated more Americans have died from gunshot wounds at home than died in all the wars of the 20th century

I have no way to DISprove their accuracy, but yeah, my BS meter definitely went off on that one.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Kevin_Wallbridge on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:49 am

"Every 2 years more Americans die from firearm injuries than the total number of American soldiers killed during the 8 year Vietnam War."

(CDC National Center for Health Statistics Report 1999)

That seems plausable. A quick search and simple math =>

American dead from WW I, WW II and Vietnam is about 583,000. Over a span of 40 years at 14575 per year... pretty close.

I absolutely agree with the sentiment that underlies the argument of individuals who want their freedom. Makes perfect sense to me. However, I am baffled that otherwise lucid and compassionate people (as most Americans I have ever known tend to be) can not see the tragedy of of a society flooded with deadly weapons. I've never had a friend who was shot to death and I hope I never do.
拳中龙象本能之学
Kevin_Wallbridge
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:55 am

MikeC wrote:
Ian wrote:
CaliG wrote:being a man who stands up for himself takes more than just owning a gun.

Is that even possible?

Mike, back me up here.

Duck, I'm trying to get a good shot.

::)

You better get that shot because your gongfu is weak.
CaliG

Postby MikeC on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:10 am

CaliG wrote: ::)

You better get that shot because your gongfu is weak.

Not that you'll ever know... ;)
Last edited by MikeC on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeC

Postby CaliG on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:24 am

SNAP! :)
CaliG

Postby CaliG on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:27 am

CaliG

Postby Ian on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:29 pm

Here are the stats for Hong Kong, with a population of 7 million.

Get this Mike. You'll love this!

2008 (Jan - May)
Robbery with Firearms: ZERO!
Robbery with Arms (Stun Guns): ZE-RO!
Robbery with Pistol Like Object (e.g. airsoft pistols): 9!

Question: when the bad guys have airsoft, what sane human being wouldn't want airsoft?

Let's make a comparison between where I live and where you live :)

The number of gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in 1994
USA: 14.24
Hong Kong: 0.14

Conclusion?

a) Hong Kong citizens don't understand REAL freedom (the right to bear arms). They only understand FAKE freedom (never having to worry about getting shot).
b) We're a group of peace-loving fags. Real men only exist in countries with guns, plain and simple.

U
S
A
!

USA!

Tell me if I've gone too far, Mike. I know you're the bigger man because you could shoot me if you wanted to.
Ian

Postby strawdog on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:16 pm

-ghey- hooray for Hong Kong.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:29 pm

Finny,

Quote all the google stats you have, I live here. Where are all the guys running around with AK 47s? You need another view of reality. I grew up between East L.A. and Compton. I now live in Long Beach. WTF? Where are all the gangsters running around with their assault weapons and handguns? -loco-

Oh, I get it, I just happened to live the past 25 years completely shielded from the violent crimes happening all around me.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:41 pm

strawdog wrote:-ghey- hooray for Hong Kong.

A Queer Nation smilie? I had no idea! :D

The new EF is truly fabulous.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:09 pm

strawdog wrote:Finny,

Quote all the google stats you have, I live here. Where are all the guys running around with AK 47s? You need another view of reality. I grew up between East L.A. and Compton. I now live in Long Beach. WTF? Where are all the gangsters running around with their assault weapons and handguns? -loco-

Oh, I get it, I just happened to live the past 25 years completely shielded from the violent crimes happening all around me.

So, what, You're saying that because YOU have never been shot, these stats I found are wrong?

The "guys running around with AKs" were mentioned in that article about youngsters being shot in Chicago.

I'm not exactly sure what your beef is, I'm not against the responsible ownership of guns - I've considered getting one here, and I probably would if I had the spare cash to throw at getting a license and a gun - I'm just saying you can't argue that freely available firearms in a society is 'good' for people - because it plainly isn't.

Just think about it - If you add the numbers up, you've got roughly ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND folks being shot in america each year - about a quarter of which are fatal.

Just because it ain't you, doesn't mean it ain't happening.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:26 pm

What I'm saying is the stats and the reality of my experience and the experience of people I know does not reflect the stats. The fact is guns is America is like the proverbial Pandora's box. They're already every where since the time of the founding of this country. What's the point of restricting new owner ship when there are hundreds of thousand of guns already floating around? The best thing to do is to develop armed and responsible citizenry for those who are inclined to protect their right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness with the most power personal weapon, the gun.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Gotta admit, it's really too late for gun control in the US. No gettin' the toothpaste back into the tube on that..... :-\
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:48 pm

I absolutely agree with that.

I'm not trying to say gun control would work in the states - as you guys rightly point out, there are just way too many guns already in circulation for that to work.

My only point was that when Mike says "guns make you safer" - he's clearly wrong.

I really hope your experiences in America continue to defy the stats Meynard - all the best.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:32 pm

Finny wrote:I absolutely agree with that.

I'm not trying to say gun control would work in the states - as you guys rightly point out, there are just way too many guns already in circulation for that to work.

My only point was that when Mike says "guns make you safer" - he's clearly wrong.

No I'm not. I know personally of people who have defended themselves and their homes with guns. Ne'er a shot was fired. And no one was hurt. I know that's hard for you to comprehend but there is actually life beyond the propaganda you spew.

Have a nice day

Mike
MikeC

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic