Starbucks Sticks to Its Guns

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Starbucks Sticks to Its Guns

Postby gzregorz on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:01 am

Starbucks Guns Debate: Coffeemaker Says It Will Stick To Its Gun Policy

SEATTLE -- Coffee chain Starbucks says it's sticking to its policy of letting customers carry guns where it's legal and is asking not to be put in the middle of a larger gun-control debate.

The statement stems from recent incidents when gun owners have walked into Starbucks and other businesses to test state open-carry gun laws. Gun control advocates have protested.

Starbucks is asking both sides "to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue."

Businesses can choose to ban guns from their premises. But Starbucks says if it did that, it would have to turn away "law abiding customers."

Starbucks's decision flies in the face of a growing campaign by gun control groups, the Seattle Post Inteligencer reports on its blog. The Brady Campaign has collected some 25,000 signatures to get the Seattle company to reverse its policy, and will present the petition to Starbucks execs today.

Peet's Coffee and the California Pizza Kitchen chain have banned guns from their locations. SFGate.com passes this statement along from Peet's:

While Peet's Coffee & Tea respects and values all individuals' rights under local, state and federal laws, our policy is not to allow customers carrying firearms in our stores or on our outdoor seating premises unless they are uniformed or identified law enforcement officers. Like most other private businesses, particularly retail establishments, we believe this policy is in the best interests of all of our customers, regardless of their personal beliefs. In no way does this policy conflict with or discriminate under the law, and it does not take a position on the law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/0 ... 83685.html
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Re: Starbucks Sticks to Its Guns

Postby jasonf on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:29 am

Anyone that is banning customers carrying guns is really cutting out all customers who carrry guns...If someone's already carrying a gun you can't expect them to just leave it by the door on the way in or stick it in the glove compartment...I don't own a gun, but I respect Starbucks for not cracking under the pressure of liberal petitions, at least so far...
jasonf
Huajing

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:37 am

jasonf wrote:Anyone that is banning customers carrying guns is really cutting out all customers who carrry guns...If someone's already carrying a gun you can't expect them to just leave it by the door on the way in or stick it in the glove compartment...I don't own a gun, but I respect Starbucks for not cracking under the pressure of liberal petitions, at least so far...

I am for gun control, but I also respect a business not giving in to pressure.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:41 am

"liberal petitions"?

why the fuck does there have to be division?

law is law, period. If it is within the law, then so be it. end of story.

there is only Americans. period. This whole libs vs reps vs cons vs whatever is crap and nonsense and serves only to divide the people into smaller and smaller voiceless and powerless groups.

I think the first thing taht needs to stop, besides all the attention Sarah Palin gets, is the divisional speech that is rampant.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:47 am

I avoid declared gun free zones when I can. They are inherently unsafe.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby jasonf on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:57 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:"liberal petitions"?

why the fuck does there have to be division?

law is law, period. If it is within the law, then so be it. end of story.

there is only Americans. period. This whole libs vs reps vs cons vs whatever is crap and nonsense and serves only to divide the people into smaller and smaller voiceless and powerless groups.

I think the first thing taht needs to stop, besides all the attention Sarah Palin gets, is the divisional speech that is rampant.

Deep breaths...deep breaths...now count to 10
jasonf
Huajing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:50 am

Petitioning a private business is like asking your drill instructor for a break.

Since I have my CCW I avoid posted no carrying places also. Here in Ohio I know when the law first passed there was all kinds of places that posted. Now almost no one does, because the places that posted were targeted by the criminals.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby KEND on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:01 am

I am also for gun control but if the customers obey the law I have no problem. I undertand in general the person carrying has an empty gun, but carries shells, this would hopefully preclude a drunk or angry person from pulling out a gun and cutting loose with a hail of bullets. If it was possible to remove all guns from civilian hands I would agree to not carry but due to the mindset of the US population regaring right to bear arms this is not going to happen, so a certain degree of pragmatism is necessary.
This should not be a decision for Starbucks to make and if people dont go to their cafes so be it, if they feel uncomfortable with guns how do they feel around cops
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:45 am

carries an empty gun?
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:35 pm

Frankly, unless you're in a war zone or equivalent (like the Mexico-US border, East St. Louis ca. 1980, etc...), you've got some issues if you feel you need to carry a gun into a Starbucks or anywhere else. It's legal, but you're a jackass and you're inviting a challenge from some other small-dicked asshole with a pistol with something to prove. If you want to play war or cops & robbers, become a soldier, a cop or a criminal. Shit or get off the pot, but don't play macho bringing your 45 into the grocery store.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:41 pm

I deleted to remove sarcasm
Last edited by Michael on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Bär wrote:Frankly, unless you're in a war zone or equivalent (like the Mexico-US border, East St. Louis ca. 1980, etc...), you've got some issues if you feel you need to carry a gun into a Starbucks or anywhere else. It's legal, but you're a jackass and you're inviting a challenge from some other small-dicked asshole with a pistol with something to prove. If you want to play war or cops & robbers, become a soldier, a cop or a criminal. Shit or get off the pot, but don't play macho bringing your 45 into the grocery store.

I suppose some people feel macho with their guns the way a teenager might feel important driving their first car, but well-trained, responsible gun owners don't fall into this category.

Look at it this way:
Frankly, unless you're in a war zone or equivalent (like the Mexico-US border, East St. Louis ca. 1980, etc...), you've got some issues if you feel you need to study martial arts or otherwise protect yourself. It's legal, but you're a jackass and you're inviting a challenge from some other small-dicked asshole with a black belt with something to prove. If you want to play Bruce Lee, become an actor, or go mess with the triads in Hong Kong. Be a total pacifist or continually assault everyone you see, but don't play macho bringing your gong-fu into the grocery store.

Guns, like gong-fu and other older weapons, are basic technology that can not be put back into Pandora's box, but can be used responsibly. They serve a legitimate purpose, and historically those who tried to prevent their acquisition by commoners either weakened their own society unwittingly or specifically wanted people to be unable to protect themselves from those who had weapons.
Michael

Postby Kato on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:53 pm

I think the first thing taht needs to stop, besides all the attention Sarah Palin gets

A fucking Men.
Old wood to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old books to read
Kato
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Chuck Baldwin: ‘Hooray For Starbucks’

And should there be any doubt in the minds of sincere men regarding the advantages and appropriateness of an armed citizenry, the research of John R. Lott, Jr. is more than sufficient to dispel it. Lott is a senior research scientist at the University of Maryland, College Park. He was previously the John M. Olin Visiting Law and Economics Fellow at the University of Chicago Law School. His book, “More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws,” is the most authoritative and thoroughly researched volume on the subject. And the title of his book is exactly what his research proves: More guns, less crime!

Lott’s analysis “is based on data for all 3,054 counties in the United States during 18 years from 1977 to 1994.” Lott said carry laws reduce violent crime because “victims who have guns are in a much better position to defend themselves.” DUH!

See a University of Chicago-sponsored interview with Mr. Lott at:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html
Michael

Postby zenshiite on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:26 am

I'd understand it if you know Peets Coffee & Tea regularly had problems with gun fights breaking out over who gets dibs on the Wi-Fi, but why is it they don't let customers carrying guns in the store? Furthermore, how the hell are they going to know? If you've got a concealed carry permit you've got a concealed weapon... it's not like people are wearing six shooters on their hips anymore, and it's not like a coffee shop is an old West saloon where a couple desperados are going to get in an argument over a hand of poker and start shooting at each other. You might as well ban people coming into the store with fists because a fist fight could just as easily break out in the store and hurt people and property as a fucking gun fight would...
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic