young child vegetarians

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: young child vegetarians

Postby zenshiite on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:12 am

Bär wrote:I have no concern over what people decide to eat whether "good" or "bad" especially since those labels change very frequently. What I do care about is smugness & self-righteousness which exists on both sides of this issue but is frankly more of a veggie/vegan trait, although not here in this thread.

I love watching veggies & vegans eat. Lots and lots of practically non-food carbs & cheese and they're clearly missing some animal protein and trying to make up for it with the cheese, which is a major nutritional step down from any "dangers" of eating real meat. They're picky about what veggies they do eat and a poor diet overall. They should call themselves "starchatarians." My observations don't apply to traditional veggie cultures, religions & countries who can really cook some veg, like India, etc....

I'm an unabashed carnivore and I eat way more real vegetables (not just "things that aren't meat") than most of the "veggies" I've encountered here in 'Merca. They're not sincere vegetarians. There are control issues - mommy & daddy issues - bound up in the way some people eat restrictive diets and certainly those with anorexia/bulimia. Not to mention the fad of eating no meat and calling yourself a veg. If you really want to make diet the focus of your life, knock yourself out. Have fun eating outside the home if you don't live in a large-ish city. It's crappy pasta primavera, that limp veggie tray with factory-made ranch dressing or yet another green salad for you.

One thing is clear - absolutely everyone could stand more veggies in their diet. A whole head of broccoli is less than 150 calories - you sure can't get fat eating that unless of course it's drowned in cheese & butter.

My wife was a veg when we got together. She started eating meat after watching me eat it for a few years. Her real issue with meat was the way it was cooked by her mom, who learned to cook from a paranoid Irish-American woman (her MIL) who cooked everything about an hour longer than it needed. And even if she didn't overcook it, it wasn't going to be good. One she got some well-prepared chicken, fish & meat she was converted.

Just to be really nitpicky... you're not a carnivore. That's literally impossible for the human digestive tract to handle. You're an omnivore.

On to other things, I'm raising a child vegan. He's pretty hefty, super active kid. His development intellectually is beyond many of his peers, and athletically he's pretty darned advanced. He's never had a drop of dairy, not an egg and never meat. Dairy, eggs, none of that is necessary to raise healthy kids. What's necessary? Actually putting together a wholesome and diverse diet.

As for needing to live in "large-ish" cities in order to eat well out on the town... I find this is increasingly unnecessary. I grew up in a small town in northern Indiana, when I first went vegan there was hardly anything but stripmall Chinese food. I go back now, there's stuff like Panera Bread who are guaranteed to have a vegan soup option every day. All the grocery stores are carrying more and more vegetarian and vegan products as well as more and better produce. Almost any pizza place can make a vegan pizza with plenty of vegetables. A no cheese pizza with a ton of veggies is probably a much better option than the meat n cheese pizzas most people get. My eating patterns have expanded so much since I started the vegan thing 10 years ago. When I first went vegan I was coming off the typical middle American diet... meat & potatoes for the most part. Canned veggies most of the time. Now? I eat way more leafy greens than most people usually do, and better richer leafy greens than folks that eat a lettuce salad. Tonight I had collard greens, mashed potatoes and homemade seitan nuggets.The greenest vegetable I had as a kid was canned green beans or lettuce on a sandwich or burrito. Now I like to eat and juice collards and kale. Most nights we try to make certain we've got our reds, greens and yellows covered in the veggie department.

As far as the kids that have chosen to go vegetarian or vegan on their own at young ages, more power to them. These parents are going off the rails when they set up a situation where they aren't accepting of their children's independence. Rather than try to force their children to eat some meat or pester them about it, they should educate themselves about vegetarian and vegan diets so they can be certain they are feeding those kids the best possible diet. It sure as hell can't hurt anything for them to incorporate more veggies in the whole family's diet AND keep things seperated enough to allow their sons or daughters to eat their meals with a clear conscience.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:59 am

Ian

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:41 am

nosword-

in regards to eating meat/tendon and sinew.

here's a wiki on the god who instructs the original shaolin to do so in order to "become strong"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajrapani

;D

meat consumption has been attributed as a huge factor in the power of teh shaolin martial arts from about the tang dynasty (700ce approx)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:43 am

IN particular this:

n his book The Shaolin Monastery (2008), Prof. Meir Shahar notes Vajrapani is the patron saint of the Shaolin Monastery. A short story appearing in Zhang Zhuo's (660-741) Tang anthology shows how the deity had been venerated in the Monastery from at least the eighth century. It is an anecdotal story of how the Shaolin monk Sengchou (480-560) gained supernatural strength and fighting ability by praying to the Vajrapani and being force-fed raw meat.[5] Shaolin abbot Zuduan (1115-1167) erected a stele in his honor during the Song Dynasty.[6] It reads:

According to the scripture [Lotus Sutra], this deity (Narayana) is a manifestation of Avaokitesvara (Guanyin).[7][8] If a person who compassionately nourishes all living beings employs this [deity's] charm, it will increase his body's strength (zengzhang shen li). It fulfills all vows, being most efficacious. ... Therefore those who study Narayana's hand-symbolism (mudra), those who seek his spell (mantra), and those who search for his image are numerous. Thus we have erected this stele to spread this transmission.[9]
— Stele re-erected (chong shang) by Shaolin's abbot Zuduan
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Guys -

On the raw meat and the Shoalin issue?

Get back to me in 10 years or so and tell me how it worked out for you.
I mean I have eaten orchic in the past mountain biking and just about
zoomed to the top of the summit like a brave bull but just keep that up
and let's see what happens.
roger hao

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:36 pm

roger hao wrote:Guys -

On the raw meat and the Shoalin issue?

Get back to me in 10 years or so and tell me how it worked out for you.
I mean I have eaten orchic in the past mountain biking and just about
zoomed to the top of the summit like a brave bull but just keep that up
and let's see what happens.

lol. powdered testicles anyone?

I'd switch to a bowl of stew...personally. :)
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic