CBC Documentary-Global Warming Doomsday Called Off

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: CBC Documentary-Global Warming Doomsday Called Off

Postby bailewen on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:52 am

That study is pretty retarded. Of course, I can't tell from the article what the actual study concluded and how much is just sensationalist reporting. It's about as obvious as an Elephant in a china shop. Correlation does not equal causation. That's often a cop out on a lot of studies like the old pro-tobacco arguments. But it would seem to me that it doesn't take a genius to conjecture that maybe...just maybe....lol....the article got the cause and effect backwards.

It's seems WAY more likely to me that people who are socially responsible, less likely to cheat or steal etc....are more likely to "go green" in their purchasing habits than the rather absurd proposition that it was their purchasing habits that made them more ethical. :p duh!
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:55 am

I haven't read it yet, so I don't know, but it's been reported that it says self-labeled environmentalists are six times more likely to lie, cheat, steal, etc. The argument is that died-in-the-wool political environmentalists do not consider clean living a priority, but simply a cover for political power, and use environmental causes as excuses to ignore private property rights.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:28 am

The argument is that died-in-the-wool political environmentalists do not consider clean living a priority, but simply a cover for political power, and use environmental causes as excuses to ignore private property rights.

How does one differentiate between a "dyed in the wool political environmentalist," an "environmentalist" and someone who is just concerned about the air, water and earth? The most active environmentalists I know spend months at a time in the field and never run for office.

It's like arguing that "pro-life advocates do not really care about babies, they're just using the issue as an excuse to gain political power." Maybe, just maybe, some of them are sincere. Though, for "some" of them, the claims are true.

I think those sort of "particular to general" fallacies are really promoted to suggest "innocence by association." I.e., the ones who are "really" for the environment are those who are not "political environmentalists." In itself, it is a political tactic.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 pm

Recently read a study which said that if all cars, small boats, planes, etc, basically everything that moves off oil were to be shut down, never to move again, that would only reduce C02 "pollution" by something like 16%. And yet "the experts" are calling for more taxes on the average person who is usually just trying to go to work each day with their car. Perhaps then it really isn't about "saving the earth" and rather taxing the shit out of people, taking just a little bit more out of what we are still allowed to keep.

Hey maybe the ocean, which gives off the most C02, should be banned or regulated in some way. That makes a lot more sense. Sure. I tell ya, the more I read about this "green revolution" and "climate change" stuff, the more I see its total bullshit.
Chris Fleming

Postby Chanchu on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:49 pm

I told you before its Bullshit.. ;D

Like all big guvment power grabs total bullshit

Big mommy wants your money and more power that's it..
Last edited by Chanchu on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic