resting HR?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: resting HR?

Postby everything on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:59 pm

forgot to test it out after coffee.

but got the HR going. immediately after working out 3 sets of Tabata around 160. 1 minute later: around 130. 7 minutes later, still around 100. did a little form work. dropped it to 90 or so. So my recovery rate isn't great. In fact that wikipedia article says it should drop 30+ bpm in 1 minute after stopping. So I suppose the better my recovery gets (closer to 50+ bpm drop) the better I'm gonna feel about my overall cardio health.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Alexander on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:20 pm

bailewen wrote:Whenever this topic comes up I always freak out and figure I am doomed to die of a heart attack at 45 or so.

My resting pulse has always been scarily high. Right now it's about 85 and all I'm doing is sitting in front of a computer. When I wake up, that's before the first of several cups of coffee I drink through the day, it's still like 75 or so. I train 12-15 hours a week, I run 2k (1.25 miles) about 3 or 4 times a week and I am not overweight and my blood pressure is totally normal.

I'm just speedy I guess.

There was a point in the past where I was running maybe 3 times a week for like half an hour to 40 minutes at a time and my pules only sank to the mid 60's. My wife is completely sedentary and her resting pulse is about 60. I train all the time and it's in the mid 80's? I dunno. I've tried all sorts of stuff to bring it down and my endurance seems fine. It's not great compared to yer average athlete but compared to all the average Joe's around me who are huffing and wheezing when I have not yet broken a sweat it seems ok.

I also have never been able to bring it up above about 140 or so. Lap swimming for an hour....even running 5 miles. I have to be seriously sucking air to get my pulse up above 120 even so none of these figures really make sense to me.

Bailewen,

what is your body type?

Larger people sometimes have lower resting pulse rates than smaller people, sometimes even if one is healthier than the other.

I've got that bloody lemur metabolism -- I used to be thin as a rail and a little shrimp in high school. Regardless, my resting HR doesn't reflect that of an athlete, even though I train a lot.

I guess it depends on the person too -- so don't go killing yourself over someone else's HR compared to yours.
Alexander
Huajing

Postby Michael on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:52 am

Kicking coffee, alcohol, and anything else that hits the kidneys: too many real sweets, any artificial sweeteners 蔗糖素:人工甜味剂, diet soda aspartame 阿斯巴甜, MSG 味精, High Fructose Corn Syrup (made with mercury, don't ya' know) 高果糖玉米糖浆, heavy metal laden water, melamine laden milk (all Chinese milk), chocolate, etc., for a month and see what happens. Probably wouldn't take a month if your system is relatively clean, more like 1-2 weeks. This is just a guess on my part, but according to ye olde wu xing theory (water-kidneys control fire-heart), there could be a measurable change in your heart bp & resting rate. Although you know I'm not speaking from experience, just a guy on the Internet. Of course the melamine and heavy metals don't really dissipate, so you get the long-lasting effects even after reducing intake.
Michael

Previous

Return to Off the Topic