Falun Gong

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Falun Gong

Postby northern_mantis on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Has this subject been discussed at any point?

For some reason it came to mind today when I met a Falun Gong member a few years back when they were doing a demo in Bath in the Uk. Had quite a disturbing conversation with him, I'm happy to share if this subject hasnt already been over done.

Mantis
northern_mantis
Huajing

Re: Falun Gong

Postby Bär on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Not on this iteration of RSF/the real EF, but back on the old version this topic had been done to death. And it attracted some real loonies.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Azer on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Yeah, I bet it did. Had some chats with them on one of their forums a few years back. They are mental. I checked out some of their texts too, proper insane BS. Can't say my interactions with them have not had comic value, but it is also quite sad.
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby jasonf on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Someone asked me to read a Falun Gong book years ago, I got to the part where this "Grandmaster" leader guy is explaining that his words are so powerful, some followers could only absorb them in an unconsious state...basically lots of people were falling asleep at his speakings. I stopped reading the book.
jasonf
Huajing

Postby Azer on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Lol... How convinient! :D
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby northern_mantis on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:04 am

I'll give you the short version of the story then.

Basically I came across a group doing a demo in bath and talked to one of their followers who was a guy from Wales who was the only one not of Chinese origin. Apart from him talking a bit of nonsense about levitation etc. it was clear that he had serious mental health problems. He then revealed that once they reach a certain level in their practice they 'no longer need to see their family and only need the falun gong'. I was quite shocked and it was a very sad situation. I told him that he needed to get in contact with his family and hoped that they would realise there were problems. In retrospect I wish I had confronted somebody else from the group about it.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby zenshiite on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:51 am

I read parts of one of their books years ago and I was like... "wait, did this dude just say he was Maitreya, Jesus, Saoshyant and the Mahdi?"
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:07 pm

I remember reading that Qi Gong came from Aliens, David Copperfield was a high level Qi Gong master and race mixing was bad. Oh and Chinese people are the strongest, most intelligent, pure race.

Enough said.

JB
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:46 pm

also, they would be a lot cooler with klingon bat'leth sets.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby jkuo on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:37 pm

northern_mantis wrote:...He then revealed that once they reach a certain level in their practice they 'no longer need to see their family and only need the falun gong'...

My wife had a similar experience with the falun gong (or I guess more properly a closely related group "falun dafa") while we were in grad school. The people were generally friendly and warm... until they had their periodic viewing of the falun gong propaganda media. Then they became adamant about how wonderful the falun gong was and that it would transform you in ways that your friends and family wouldn't be able to understand. The transformation would set you free but estrange you from everyone close to you in your life (except for the other falun gong members). I can't think of a more obvious warning sign for a cult than that.
jkuo
Mingjing

Postby Finny on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Yeah what disturbs me the most about falun gong is the way they masquerade so successfully as an innocent, holistic qi gong group ruthlessly persecuted by the Chinese govt.

Not that they AREN'T persecuted by the chinese govt, but they seem to be quite accomplished (at least here in Oz) at covering the loony-ness with a generic TCM aura. I remember when my gf and I went to Melbourne at the end of last year we passed a large group outside Federation Square with posters and pamphlets pleading for public assistance for the poor innocent folks who just want to practise qi gong and be left in peace but the evil chinese govt is harvesting organs and outright murdering these poor folk.

I had to point out to my gf that what little research I'd done kinda hinted that these folks believe some crazy wacked out shit - she was so moved by their plight, and intrigued by the all very vague language and handouts they had.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:23 pm

Don't know much about them except the following:
1) They meditate w/ their speakers turned up really loud.
2) They have the crappiest lyric writer: an entire song consisted of only this lyric "falun dafa is good".
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:53 pm

falun gong = falun dafa

same same

ee yawn duh

PS—I know my pinyin sucks, so don't reply and quote me saying, "yer peenyeen sux" 'cause it won't be funny at all since I already told you it suxs
Last edited by Michael on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby grady on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:45 am

On multiple occasions, when I've told taxi drivers that I'm American (they usually think I'm Russian), I've been asked if I know where Li Hongzhi is, because "we're looking for him ..."

Sometimes they laugh when they ask me this, sometimes they seem deadly serious.
grady
Mingjing

Postby Michael on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:43 am

That's friggin' hilarious. Beijing taxi drivers are looking for Li Hongzhi? At the moment, I have no conspiracy therapy response for that ailment. The only thing taxi drivers in Guangzhou ask me is if I can use chopsticks and if American men's cocks are relatively larger than Asians as the respective women's tits are. This is all done through body language. Sorry, I don't have video.
Michael

Next

Return to Off the Topic