Supereme Court decision on Right to own guns

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Supereme Court decision on Right to own guns

Postby strawdog on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:31 pm

How many of your exercise the right to keep and bear arms?
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:32 pm

me, but I gotta sell things, because I am leaving this country. :(
Last edited by Muad'dib on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Mike Strong on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Nevada is a "conceal & carry" state.
Mike Strong

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:02 pm

strawdog wrote:How many of your exercise the right to keep and bear arms?

I do. I carry my sledgehammer around town and nobody even bats an eyelid. Woe betide the fool who crosses me and my primitive medieval fury.
Ian

Postby dragontigerpalm on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:24 pm

So does this ruling mean that no state, county, district etc. can restrict ownership of guns except by felons or the insane but can require licencing if the gun is kept in the home? Does this ruling apply to guns carried by/on a person whether concealed or not? Is every state now a 'shall permit' state?
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:29 pm

So is it OK to own RPG's now like in the Middle East or is the type of arms we can bear still restricted?
roger hao

Postby juz on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:10 am

roger hao wrote:So is it OK to own RPG's now like in the Middle East or is the type of arms we can bear still restricted?

only if you can conceal it on your person :P
What I really need right now is a montage....
juz
Anjing

Postby Iskendar on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:19 am

Darthwing Teorist wrote:So, let me ask this: how did you guys resist the present tyranny? By voting Bush for a second term?

;D You that's one thing I've always wondered about with the "guns for resisting tyranny" crowd: at what point do you intend to start shooting cops? Because that's the practical use for guns when fighting tyranny: to shoot the minions, and not much else (you can tie a banner to them and go demonstrating, but that's not the point...). Minions most likely to be ordinary public servants upholding the law. Ok, the tyrant's law, but still...it's a job, you know.

And when are you going to start shooting them? When they come for you? When they come for your neighbour? When they come to take away that gay couple in your street to the camps? Or are you going to be more proactive about it, and look for less overt symptoms of tyranny? When the media isn't impartial anymore? When the government lies systematically? When certain laws are passed? And in those cases: who are you going to shoot? Random cop on the street? Or are you going to assassinate a politician? Which one? Are you going to act alone, or join/form a group?...Questions, questions...

Weapons do have their place in the resistance vs. tyranny, but I really doubt the guns == freedom crowd has thoroughly thought this through.
I.
Iskendar
Wuji

Postby MikeC on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:25 am

Iskendar wrote:
Darthwing Teorist wrote:So, let me ask this: how did you guys resist the present tyranny? By voting Bush for a second term?

;D You that's one thing I've always wondered about with the "guns for resisting tyranny" crowd: at what point do you intend to start shooting cops? Because that's the practical use for guns when fighting tyranny: to shoot the minions, and not much else (you can tie a banner to them and go demonstrating, but that's not the point...). Minions most likely to be ordinary public servants upholding the law. Ok, the tyrant's law, but still...it's a job, you know.

When we become a dictatorship then we'll revisit this.

And when are you going to start shooting them? When they come for you? When they come for your neighbour? When they come to take away that gay couple in your street to the camps? Or are you going to be more proactive about it, and look for less overt symptoms of tyranny? When the media isn't impartial anymore? When the government lies systematically? When certain laws are passed? And in those cases: who are you going to shoot? Random cop on the street? Or are you going to assassinate a politician? Which one? Are you going to act alone, or join/form a group?...Questions, questions...

Which movie was this?

Weapons do have their place in the resistance vs. tyranny, but I really doubt the guns == freedom crowd has thoroughly thought this through.

Plenty of other uses besides Us vs. the Gubmint. Remember the LA riots and the Korean shopowners who defended themselves from the roof of their buildings from the incited crowd. Cops had all but given in that part of town. Peeps were left to fend for themselves.

Don'tcha worry Isk, law-abiding citizens have been successfully defending themselves for eons in spite of who watches over them. It's called personal responsibility.

Mike
MikeC

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:43 am

I agree with Mike's point about the riots. From the little details that I know about them, it sounds that they were lucky to have guns. That is part of self-defense.

But Iskendar is raising some interesting questions, that are on my mind as well. Besides, as it was pointed out earlier on eF, unless part of the armed forces turn against the government, there is not much that you can do with guns against tanks, stealth fighters, commandos, "smart" bombs etc. Unless, like Roger said, you can own RPGs and make IEDs.

The "resisting tyranny" part should give you access to the same hardware as the army. But I doubt that it is the case.

Now, maybe Canada and Europe are different - for example riots in these places did not really threaten neighbourshoods except for material damage, so maybe in the US guns are rooted so deep into the culture, that it will be difficult to remove them even if most people agreed that it was a good idea. I guess that they are to stay. They may be useful for self-defense (I don't buy into the whole resisting tyranny thing for the reasons explained above) but they also cause a lot of damage IMO.
Last edited by Darthwing Teorist on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:17 am

Darthwing Teorist wrote:I agree with Mike's point about the riots. From the little details that I know about them, it sounds that they were lucky to have guns. That is part of self-defense.

Well, but what if all the rioters had been armed? If everyone is armed, the mob will still win. But, I also agree that protection against "the mob" is a good reason to own a weapon. As far as protecting us from the police and military, stop making me laugh. It hurts. #1, The "police" and "military" already control the populace, especially when it comes to armament. #2 I can't imagine the reason that we'd start shooting police. Er, I admit that I learned about weapons during the 60s when I was a militant, and I sincerely believed that "the gov't" (i.e., Nixon, Agnew, and their "CoIntelPro" was out to get "us." And, I can still show ya'll the bullet holes where it happend between 1969 and 1971.

However, much of my family is in the military, and if it comes down to it, I'll probably be on their side. Funny what 40 years will do.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:38 am

I'm still curious and would love it if some of our members with legal expertise would chime in to know how far reaching the court's decision is. Would I, for example, be able to get a CCP for a registered gun and be able to cross county and/or state lines while armed without having to obtain a permit from every jurisdiction?
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby MikeC on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:59 am

dragontigerpalm wrote:I'm still curious and would love it if some of our members with legal expertise would chime in to know how far reaching the court's decision is. Would I, for example, be able to get a CCP for a registered gun and be able to cross county and/or state lines while armed without having to obtain a permit from every jurisdiction?

www.packing.org should be a good start for you. Granted, it's not a replacement for the $400-an-hour legal advice, but it can get you going in the right direction.

Speaking of CCPermits, it's funny when you compare them to driver's licenses. States allow licensed drivers from other states to operate a vehicle in their jurisdiction no problem. But if you get a gun permit in one state, you cannot bring a gun into another state, even a neighboring one, unless you have a permit for that state. Granted, some states recognize the validity of CCPs from other states, and they will allow you to carry. But here you have driver's licenses, which we readily hand out to 16 year olds and above like they were hotcakes. And this allows them to operate a 3000 lb. high-speed piece of machinery in all 50 states. Yet, I go through fingerprinting and background checks and waiting periods, and I can't even bring a gun across a state border???
What sense does that make?

Stoopid New York state takes it a step further than above, but I don't even want to get into that now.

Mike
MikeC

Postby dragontigerpalm on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:26 am

Thanks. Apparently the site is now called www.usacarry.com but at present has no info regarding the court's decision.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:48 am

IF a state like Wisconsin has a pretty easy to obtain CCW permit and a state like Ohio has a difficult to obtain CCW permit, a lot of times Wisonsin will accept the Ohio permit but not vice versa. Its the same with state contractors liscenses. Florida has the toughest exams in the country and its liscenses are pretty much accepted anywhere.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic