Supereme Court decision on Right to own guns

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Supereme Court decision on Right to own guns

Postby klonk on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:54 am

Several people, including Justice Scalia, have raised the question of what good small arms would be against modern forces, and this is a good point, but it overlooks something. Citizens with small arms might not be able to best a technologically sophisticated force, but they could certainly make themselves ungovernable, and that's a good start.

As for where to go from there, it seems to me the matter would hinge on appropriating the sophisticated weapons and persuading your opponents over to your side. Mao was good at these tricks. I detest the politics he stood for, but he had some good ideas about how to wage war. (He lifted a number of them from Sun Tzu.)

God grant this question forever remains a hypothetical, in America, and no need to test the theory arises. And yet the Second Amendment may head off the possibility of domestic tyranny by its mere existence. If the tyrant wannabe knows Americans are able to shoot back, it may complicate matters sufficiently to make him reconsider his plans.

A more likely scenario for widespread militia action is in cooperation with the "regulars" (U.S. soldiers) in case of some kind of internal emergency. I hope that doesn't happen either, but in such a case, the citizens' small arms could do a whole lot of good, for you can never have too many riflemen.

Back to the Chinese revolution; I wonder if the thing would have happened at all, if China had posessed a robust tradition of the kind our Second Amendment reflects. But I'm sketchy on the details here. Can somebody fill me in on private arms ownership in the Republic era (1912-49)?
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:28 pm

:D ... sorry i couldn't resist.
Last edited by middleway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Ben on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:40 pm

Some of the above made me think of this:
http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/tennessee.htm

I'm happy to hear the courts decision but sorry it was only 5-4. 9-0 would have been about right.
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:14 pm

Its a good call by the court but don't celebrate to much- the political will continue to push fourth private weapons confiscation and control... its not about crime control- its about power and controlling the serfs....

I enjoyed reading ole Diane " lady Smith" Fienstien's horror about the supremes call on hand guns-

She loves to shoot her yap off about gun control blah blah blah but kept a 38 in her purse for years until she was caught by the media....

Its Ok for her to have a weapon you see-- she is a elite political and special while you are just a working slob trying to protect yourself

U.S. Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) on terrorism and self-defense:
The following comments were made by U.S. Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) during U.S. Senate hearings on terrorism held in Washington, D.C. on April 27, 1995:
"Because less than twenty years ago I was the target of a terrorist group. It was the New World Liberation Front. They blew up power stations and put a bomb at my home when my husband was dying of cancer. And the bomb didn't detonate. ... I was very lucky. But, I thought of what might have happened. Later the same group shot out all the windows of my home."

"And, I know the sense of helplessness that people feel. I know the urge to arm yourself because that's what I did. I was trained in firearms. I'd walk to the hospital when my husband was sick. I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out, I was going to take them with me."

http://www.stentorian.com/2ndamend/dianne_f.html

Thats they way they think "ok for me I am special- but not you- you can just throw rocks at a attacker or something"
Last edited by Chanchu on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:30 am

I know, it's the staunch elitism and double-standard that gets me too. The Kennedy's, Clintons and whomever parade around in the their limos with an armed personnel who are carrying automatic weapons, BTW. And then they go on to yap their trap about gun control and getting guns off the street.
What a joke.

Mike
MikeC

Postby gryphonz on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:59 am

Posted this in the car shooting thread, too. I was 1 building away at Vtech on 4/16. Trained ex-military, but no gun, no knife, no nothing. Never again.
gryphonz
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:19 pm

The fight for gun rights is far from over. The Heller decision is only the beginning of taking back our rights from various infringements. I would suggest anyone concerned about the matter join the National Rifle Association. It is an organization with some warts, but it is squarely on the front lines of this business.

The dues may seem a little steep, but I would point out that a Life Membership costs less than a high class target rifle, and will do you more good in the long run.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention the website: http://nra.org/
Last edited by klonk on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:56 pm

Already a member.
MikeC

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:19 pm

klonk wrote:
The dues may seem a little steep, but I would point out that a Life Membership costs less than a high class target rifle, and will do you more good in the long run.

Perfect example how social measure are often better than weapons.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic