1979-80

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: 1979-80

Postby cerebus on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:54 pm

LOL! Whoah! Trip down memory lane there. Nice!
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:01 pm

More fromage
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 pm

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:06 pm

Surprise
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:08 pm

And on that note:
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Dayum Steve! You trying to post every song ever recorded in that era or what? ;D :D
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Actually, I've run out of my favorites ... the ones I could think of off hand :)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:35 am

Steve James wrote:I've been listening to lots of songs from these years. It's interesting. I like these songs, too; but primarily because they were dance songs. Some are really good, but I wouldn't say that many were very influential. The major exception is first up. Most of the rest are are almost trivial in comparison, as this would be if ... but no one can explain popular music. To me, this was the decade of pop.

I wouldn't say the top 40 hits was where much of the long term musical change was going on at that time, at least from a British perspective. I'd look at: 1.the start of the electronic scene: Joy Division, The Cure, the Heaven 17 & Human League shake up, Gary Numan along with the start of the New Romantic/synthpop scene like Duran Duran.
2.There was the transition from punk to Ska driven bands like The Specials, The Beat and Madness, (as well as The Clash, Patti Smith etc and other punk continuing in fine form).
3.Lastly there was some still fine British Heavy Metal with some great stuff from Iron Maiden coming out with Killers and "Iron Maiden" albums. It was also around then when Dio started the fine art of throwing up the horns at a concert!

Maybe some of those would be a better collection to look at as far as influential.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Well, other than The Cure and Duran Duran, I really wouldn't remember those you mentioned ... at least as being able to identify or hum a tune. I didn't listen at all to Heavy Metal. Most of all, I don't think I listen to much music that has been influenced by it. Arguably, KISS was influential in ways that other bands can't hope to approach, but I didn't listen to them. Oh, I'm not suggesting that the ones I listened to were better, only that I have been working from memory.
Post some of those tunes that you mentioned.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:05 pm

How about Queen? Whoops, I'll keep it in, but I meant to post another ...

...Though it belongs in the other thread
Last edited by Steve James on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:14 pm

I have to admit. This time I just threw "1980" into the youtube engine. There's some connection to Freddie Mercury, too.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:16 pm

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:31 pm

Steve James wrote:Well, other than The Cure and Duran Duran, I really wouldn't remember those you mentioned ... at least as being able to identify or hum a tune. I didn't listen at all to Heavy Metal. Most of all, I don't think I listen to much music that has been influenced by it. Arguably, KISS was influential in ways that other bands can't hope to approach, but I didn't listen to them. Oh, I'm not suggesting that the ones I listened to were better, only that I have been working from memory.
Post some of those tunes that you mentioned.

79/80 was about the peak of Ska revival/Two Tone which was kind of British version of Jamaican post reggae. Given there was still a whole lot of racism going in England particularly focussed on Jamaican immigrants during the high unemployment times of the 70's, black & white people getting together to perform Jamaican based music was fairly controversial. It also led eventually to acts like the Cherry Poppin' Daddies a decade later who were in the forefront of the swing revival music in the 90's....

The Specials
- Gangsters

- A Message To You Rudy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVcD1xAMTo8

The Beat - Can't Get Used to Losing You

Madness - They were way more than just "Our House"
- The Prince

- One Step Beyond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-uyWAe0NhQ&feature=related
- Embarrassment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PybDUOJmWow&feature=channel
- Baggy Trousers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xghaOXnnBHo&feature=channel
- Night Boat To Cairo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSTHMxBttlU
- My Girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1IpBD8i2I

Then there was the punk/ska end of the genre:
The Jam
- Going Underground

- Eton Rifles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEOz7U-LVNI&feature=related

The Clash
- Guns Of Brixton

- Armagideon Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAM7dnEcptg
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic