The Hobbit begins filming in July

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Hobbit begins filming in July

Postby klonk on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:59 am

BBC - Hobbit filming to begin in New Zealand in July http://bit.ly/aadMP7

Shooting of the long-awaited film version of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit is set to begin in New Zealand in July.
Actor Sir Ian McKellen, who reprises his Lord of the Rings role as Gandalf the Grey, revealed casting is taking place in LA, London and New York. [...]

We'll see how that goes. IMHO, the LOTR movies did not quite capture the feel of convincing otherworldliness that is the best part of the Rings books. Will The Hobbit, the movie, retain the often light and sometimes whimsical tone of the original? Stay tuned!
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: The Hobbit begins filming in July

Postby Dmitri on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:01 am

"Guillermo del Toro will direct the film and its proposed sequel"

Oh hell yeah. 8-)

Never read LOTR books so I did like the movies, but I've read 'The Hobbit' as a kid (in Russian) and absolutely loved it and I know exactly what you mean re. capturing the spirit of the book... But I wouldn't worry too much about this one; if movies like Pan's Labyrinth are any indication, this is going to be a really good one.
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:34 am

Tolkien must be a difficult writer to film, because he uses digressions and asides to round out his stories, and it's hard to imagine how to script that kind of thing. I will hope for the best!
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:25 am

While the movies may not have been 100% successful in capturing the books, I pose the question: What film ever does? Truthfully, I thought the LOTR movies were amazing, and far exceeded my rather low expectations.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:40 am

I am unable to appreciate Guillermo Del Toro as much as I try and thought the tone of the LOTR was pretty much like a Star Wars ep., meaning obviously produced for the widest possible audience, meaning lowest common denominator. There were so many scenes where the original dialog from the book would have been better than what it was changed to. Douriff as Saruman's lacky was the best thing in the three films from my POV along with McKellan's Gandalf. You know, the original Aragorn quit. Not surprised. The 80's rotoscopes were better as far as story.

Hope the Hobbit kicks butt, will definitely see it.
Michael

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:48 am

The original aragorn was fired because he was a) a pretty boy who obviously did not fit the role and b) a slacker who injured several people due to his lack of diligence in the weapons practice section.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:03 am

Good heavens, I'd have fired his butt too. Theatrical fencing is the art of missing, and you had best do it every time. Even a bated movie prop sword is no joke.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:35 am

I should say "is rumored to have" injured several people... Also, the lord of the rings was not the only film he has been disinvited from.
Last edited by Muad'dib on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:43 am

Ah, okay. Innocent until proven clumsy. Gotcha. Rumors concerning the movie business are notoriously unreliable and I suppose Internet movie rumors are... like that only more so! :)
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:14 am

See PM.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:34 am

I can't wait for the Hobbit. Or the sequel, which really isn't a sequel so much as it is a telling of what Gandalf was doing while Bilbo was with the Dwarves. Which means Gandalf, a good Saruman, and the White Council doing battle with Sauron in the Mirkwood. That's a story that Tolkien only briefly glossed over in the Silmarillion, the Hobbit and LOTR.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby klonk on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:57 am

It will be interesting to see what they do with the story of the necromancer & Mirkwood. The Hunt for Gollum also takes up a matter Tolkein only described briefly in passing. Of course it's unfair to compare an amateur production with the other sort (and I do not say it is amateurish.) But I thought Tolkien was right to give that episode a quick once-over.
Last edited by klonk on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:11 pm

I'm with dan here. I loved the books as a kid and thought Jackson did as good a job as anyone could Looking forward to Bilbo.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:42 pm

I would really like them to have the Dwarf songs, but I doubt it'll happen seeing as Jackson wanted to cut those out.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:53 pm

They *have* to have the songs. Jackson didn't want them? It wouldn't even be The Hobbit without, "Break the dishes, chip the plates, that's what Bilbo Baggins hates..." :) And of course the song the Orcs sung when they were up the trees. How can they leave out the songs, ferchrissakes?
Michael

Next

Return to Off the Topic