Appalachian Trail

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Appalachian Trail

Postby jasonf on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:11 pm

Has anyone done the trail?
I wanted to let everyone know that my Dad has recently turned 60 and decided he wanted to do something big. He is planning to through hike the appalachian trail.
Just got back from dropping him and his dog Doyle off at the start near Springer Mountain, Georgia, he plans on getting up to Maine in about 6 months. Its a real testament to the kind of shape he is in, probably because he was always active growing up Marathon running, MA, Ironworker by trade...He will be keeping a journal along the way and raising money for the Jimmy Fund (helps children diagnosed with cancer) I know how much he and everyone involved would appreciate anyone who could forward this along in an email or post a link up on Facebook to help spread the word.

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=10263

Here is the first journal entry, if the link doesn't work:
Randy Faulkner 's 2010
Appalachian Trail Journal

First Previous Next Last
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Springer Mountain, Georgia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WELCOME

Randy and Doyle's

"WALK FOR THE KIDS"

This being my 1st entry, I would like to thank all of my friends and family for their words of encouragement. " WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY "........." YOUR OUT OF YOUR MIND "........" WHEN YOU SAY YOUR DOING THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL YOU MEAN YOUR FLYING OVER IT, RIGHT? "......." ARE YOU ****ING NUTS" The more research I do and the closer I get, I realize that they may be onto something.
People constantly obsess about turning 30..40...50.....60 .....70 years of age. On my 60th birthday I made a comittment to not worry about what I cannot do and make an adventure with what I can do. I will be starting the "AT" with my dog Doyle on March 17, 2010 at Springer Mountain, Georgia.
When I first told my wonderful wife of my plans, her first response was that it was a "great idea". Then she realized the scope and time involved and she contributed one of the quotes near the top of the page. I am a retired Ironworker from Local #7 Boston. I enjoyed my 30 + years as an Ironworker but not as much as I am enjoying my retirement. One of the reasons I am able to enjoy it is a result of the kind of shape the job will keep you in. After retirement I have kept active and get to the Gym quite often. That in itself was nowhere near the kind of shape I need to be in for the AT. I Have been doing a daily routine of the gym {walking, stretching, and weights) and putting weight in my pack, as well as Doyle's pack and walking 2-3 hours daily. The trail will either put me in the best shape of my life or.......Yeah yeah the best shape of my life. The title Randy,s "WALK FOR THE KIDS' Is in reference to the JIMMY FUND. There will be information on how to contribute in support of myself and Doyle. For anyone interested in joining Doyle and me on the trail I will be setting up 3 different beautiful and historic locations you can join us. You will be in areas where you can walk for an hour, a day or a week. All I ask is that you have your family and friends sponsor you by contributing to the JIMMY FUND through my trail journals page. The meeting locations will be:

Shenandoah National Park, Virginia

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

Mt Katahdin, Maine I will be adding approximate dates and details in my future journals. I have been fortunate to have Danielle Grossman from the Jimmy Fund helping me with the fundraising for the walk. This will be my adventure of a lifetime although Doyle might never talk to me again. And I invite you to join us on the trail or through the journal on our "WALK FOR THE KIDS" Thank You
Randy and Doyle

Danielle Grossman
Jimmy Fund Walk
10 Brookline Pl West
6th Floor
Brookline, MA 02445

You can send checks directly to Danielle...Payable to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. You may call her to donate by credit card. 617-632-5029
[email protected]
jasonf
Huajing

Re: Appalachian Trail

Postby Alexander on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Very cool, he should have a good time hiking and full of reflection :)

I've hiked portions of the AT near MA/CT, but the only long-term backwoods hiking i've done was the PCT which goes from Canada to Mexico, through California. I did about a month on that with some people.. was a lot of fun. About 3 weeks in we met an older guy who smelled terrible and was a little creepy, however, I decided to prompt him on what he missed most after 6 months on the trail. Direct quote , "It used to be the lack of sex.... but now I just want a big ass cheeseburger."
Alexander
Huajing

Return to Off the Topic