Madoff ass-kicked in prison - anyone care?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Madoff ass-kicked in prison - anyone care?

Postby meeks on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 pm

http://www.everydaymoney.ca/2010/03/madoff-beat-up-in-prison-does-anyone-feel-bad.html

What’s that they say about karma? It’s a (blank) … something with a ‘B’, right?

Indeed, the hits keep on coming for everyone's favourite pariah, Bernie Madoff, who can’t stop making headlines despite his current 150-year vacation in a North Carolina state prison.

On a day when the debut of March Madness featured a buzzer beater upset and no short supply of thrilling finishes, it was a report in Thursday’s Wall Street Journal about the disgraced financier that had many people talking.

According to the story, Madoff was viciously beaten inside his federal prison last December by a “beefy man” who used to be a body builder and hold a Judo black belt.

“The dispute centred on money the assailant thought he was owed by Mr. Madoff,” the article reads, noting one inside source alleged Madoff was treated for a broken nose, fractured ribs and cuts to his head/face after the assault.

Of course, no details of the beat-down can be 100% verified – the local Bureau of Prisons denied it took place, inmates admit the attack happened but only under a cloak of anonymity and Madoff’s lawyer says his client’s trip to the jail medical ward was simply for “high blood pressure and heart palpitations” – though maybe such authentication is beside the point here.

If we presume the assault is a hoax, one question stands out: wouldn’t some people wish something like this on the 71-year-old Ponzi king?

Probably, which raises the second query on the topic: if it did happen, would anyone feel bad for the guy?

Let’s go back over the facts here. Seventy-one-year old banker gets pummelled by young, fit martial arts beefcake. Old man, already paranoid for bilking $65 billion from investors worldwide, has to live the rest of his days apart from his family and constantly looking over his shoulder.

Come on, we live in a forgiving society! Someone, somewhere has to empathize with Bernie, don’t they?

Let’s turn this thing over to two readers of the New York Daily News, who’ll surely offer an unfiltered take on what would (and should) happen to Madoff in prison:

“Aint (sic) no justice like prison justice,” writes robkinnjusa.

“I knew that his fellow inmates would take care of this POS,” adds melloca. “He better not drop the soap next time.”

Well, then!

By Jason Buckland, MSN Money
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Re: Madoff ass-kicked in prison - anyone care?

Postby Fu Mei on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:43 pm

I don't, but maybe some one else should. I remember reading that Madoff had been hanging around with Carmine Persico. Who knows, maybe "The Snake" turned on him. If so, then it sure would seem to validate the Fable of the Snake.
Fu Mei
Huajing

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:55 pm

Not me! LOL! Funny how the prison officials were trying to cover it up at first with the line "he fell out of his bed".
Chris Fleming

Postby Interloper on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Crook without conscience he may be, but I still can't stand the thought of an elderly person being beaten up.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:38 pm

I can't stand the thought of beating old people either, but then, I think we all shall stand before the judgement seat of God. There is no particular need to exact vengeance for yourself, or for another; it's "on the house." So whoever did this is shameful.

People misunderstand the concept of "Vengeance is mine, I shall repay, saith the Lord." The intent is not to draw a picture of a horrid vengeful entity in the sky ready to smack down the transgressor, it's to tell the believers to lay hands off and let HIM do his job. It was probably a bit like hell for old Bernie to have that gorgeous yacht sold off for fines and taxes. Now someone he wouldn't have shaken hands with in his former life has smacked him around. Hello, heaven to Bernie, are you listening awready?

Of course, I don't suppose you find many theologically educated people in the pokey. Someone with a better understanding of the issues than the assailant seems to have had would find no need to smack an old con man.
Last edited by klonk on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:25 am

No, I could care less what happens to someone who injured countless people and perpetuated a system of economic slavery. It's not my problem what happens to Madoff, I just hope knowledge of his case will be a warning to those considering investing in the NYSE.

Madoff founded the Nasdaq and was convicted for stealing $50 billion, and yet was somehow still walking around NYC without getting vengeance from someone. Considering how many people out there would kill for very small sums of money, how is it one man ran such a huge racket by himself and is still alive? He's a fall guy. The entire stock market is one big Madoff-esque racket.

Last story about Madoff was how he was having heart troubles. If the guy was protected before trial and could stroll around Manhattan, why should we think he's not protected now? If he is still protected, what to make about this news story? Perhaps a precursor to a more serious "accident" so he can hurry on down to Paraguay and play pinochle with Ken Lay.

And get off my lawn! -oldman-
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:02 am

Mr. Madoff is as capable of redeeming himself and is as worthy of forgiveness as anyone.

Money is money, it comes and goes. It is not the determining factor in whether or not one's life is ruined.
financial ruin has nothing to do with the ruination of life or soul.

When we make money more important than the life and well being of another human regardless of their stripes, we have failed in that aspect of our own humanity.
I don't like to be stolen from any more than anyone else. But I can regain that which was lost if need be. Or perhaps I can live without it.

Forgiveness is a greater act than revenge.
Revenge is born of a weakened mind to begin with.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:21 am

Well, though I admit to having a difficult time finding too much sympathy for him, I don't think he needs to be terrorized & beaten while in prison. But then, he also hasn't harmed me or mine, so I have some distance from the matter. If he'd ruined my grandmother's life (for example) by decimating her retirement, well.... I'd probably want to kick his ass myself, but I guess I feel the appropriate people should be kicking his ass for the appropriate reasons...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:42 am

He deserves no more or less than the average prisoner.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:48 am

Violence is a primitive form of retribution. There are more appropriate forms of punishment for an elderly swindler than getting beaten.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:28 pm

don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.

enough said.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic