I love taichi, i just don't like to practice it.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: I love taichi, i just don't like to practice it.

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Steve Rowe wrote:I don't get this 'fighting' thing with Taiji, I don't 'fight' or 'spar' with it because then it wouldn't be Taiji, it is however a highly effective form of self defence and extremely good for arrest and restraint.

Duck! ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Could this thread be the reincarnation of test no topic?
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:43 pm

I have gotten a lot of wonderful material from taiji, both the classics and the forms. But I have the feeling--and it's been recurring for years--that it has been a matter of doing archaeology on a former fighting art that has turned into a qigong.

This may owe to my lack of exposure to taiji teachers who think it's fisticuffs, of course. A great deal of what has been meant by taiji, when I have encountered it, has not been combat practical, but more of a cultivation practice or a health and wellness deal. Which is okey-doke. It has somehow become the world's most popular qigong. Hard to argue its success there.

But, no, I don't greatly enjoy doing it either. To me it is more a library of neato ideas than a matter of dedicated ongoing practice. The categorization of eight jins is very good, but can serve as a starting point for a more general view of energy generation...eight seems to be one of those arbitrary Chinese numbers.
Last edited by klonk on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:13 pm

It's hard to enjoy doing tcc. However, imo, either one "needs" to do it or one doesn't. If you need it, there's the enjoyment comes what it gives or enables in your life. Tcc became popular because of the "health" benefits, specifically post Yang Cheng Fu. Many of the most respected masters after that period wrote that they were on death's door or grew up sickly until they discovered Tcc (Yang style, that is). Anyway, the only way to understand that argument is to be in that position, or in a condition where Tcc is one of the few things you can do. If you can run sprints, jump hurdles and do splits, doing a form can get to be boring.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve Rowe on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:24 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:
Steve Rowe wrote:I don't get this 'fighting' thing with Taiji, I don't 'fight' or 'spar' with it because then it wouldn't be Taiji, it is however a highly effective form of self defence and extremely good for arrest and restraint.

Duck! ;D

I think it stands up extremely well as both a health and martial. I've worked in and taught in the security field since 1971 and teach people from law enforcement to night club doorman, many of my long standing students (20 yrs plus) now hold senior positions in law enforcement and security and my system is taught in some European forces and companies. I've practiced many years in kickboxing and karate (40 years and 8th Dan) with Dan grades in Ju Jitsu, Iaido and Jodo as well and fully understand what 'fighting' and 'sparring' and 'groundwork' etc mean, but the skills of Tai Chi are extremely good for self defence and different, I don't try and convert my other martial arts 'applications' into Taiji, but I do put the 'internal' from Taiji into the other arts.

Put on the gloves and you won't be doing Taiji, 'fight' means that two people are struggling to do the same thing, that's not Taiji. Push hands, dynamic pushing and apply the principles and then the technique of Taiji and there is no fight.

Just my tuppence worth.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:31 pm

good to know your experience. :D

I just said duck because I can see where your original comment could end up with some of our more "colourful" posters :D

And of course YMMV :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Quotes from Chungliang Al Huang:

You often see people practicing tai chi quite concentrated. There is a hush and everything stands still except the moving body.

Don't make it an antiseptic, sacred, exotic oriental thing.

Is your body moving like the sound of the ocean? Like the crackling of the fire log? The wind? The space between leaves on a tree?

Or are you moving like arranged pieces of furniture, very consciously put-together?

-----

As we work, we use the form as a guide. It is something we work with, not something you learn to show off.

The form is a process that serves you, not an adornment you bring back to hang on your wall.

-----

One of my friends studied judo for years and years. She was waiting for a chance to use it, but for a long time nobody tried to attack her. Then one day somebody grabbed her in a parking lot - and she slugged him with her purse!

And then she thought, "Oh! What happened to my judo?"

She must have been practicing judo as if it were an isolated thing. We should always practice to let the immediacy of the moment come through. Then you always have a sense of what you are doing now.

------
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby chimerical tortoise on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Not intending to make fun of the guy, I like the quotes... but what a name! Chungliang al Huang... I just snorted coffee.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby everything on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
I think the height of it these days is push hands that gets protracted as soon as someone falls on their ass.

lol perfect for soccer/football players :) you get pushed a little tiny bit, fake fall, then complain about it.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael Babin on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:17 am

I have always enjoyed the interactive side of taiji much more than the solo side of it though I have "forced" myself to practise solo forms with greater or lesser success over the decades that I have been studying this discipline/art.

Perhaps how much one enjoys the solo stuff depends partly on one's basic nature as the meditative, solo performance side of it tends to attract individualists [aka "loners"] while the martial side of it tends to attract those interested in exploring relationships. Preferably martial interaction during class, not as foreplay with your cuter class mates. :-)

There's also the masochist side of those who swallow the nonsense of having to study the solo form inside out in super slow-motion as a way of somehow magically living to be 117 or being able to transcend all human needs.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:18 am

chimerical tortoise wrote:Not intending to make fun of the guy, I like the quotes... but what a name! Chungliang al Huang... I just snorted coffee.

You can call him Al.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby ShortFormMike on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:02 pm

I was quoting what my buddy said about woody Allen on taichi. But I don't like doing the form one tenth as much as I like push hands so I have to force myself to do it everyday. I like rooting better even. But I like knowing I can always intellectualize about taichi instead of practicing and still get the same benefit.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:48 pm

ShortFormMike wrote:I was quoting what my buddy said about woody Allen on taichi. But I don't like doing the form one tenth as much as I like push hands so I have to force myself to do it everyday. I like rooting better even. But I like knowing I can always intellectualize about taichi instead of practicing and still get the same benefit.

Funny, I like rooting too.... ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Some of you guys are crazy. I love taiji AND love to practice it.
Chris Fleming

Postby brennanos on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:55 am

I started by learning the 150 posture T.T. Liang Yang form. I really had to force myself to practice. I honestly grew to hate it, so I quit practicing taiji. Recently I started learning Chen style, and I enjoy that quite a bit. It's definitely a better fit for my personality and training goals.
brennanos

Previous

Return to Off the Topic