VIRUS

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: VIRUS

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:53 am

I don't think I've ever been infected by a virus or trojan except when I've downloaded or accepted something to "run" on my machine. I think all the anti-virus, spyware, malware programs work. Some work better than other in identifying and removing them; but none can prevent "dumb mistakes" on the end user's part. Not to mention at if there's stuff that you should back up, you should back it up.

I do have a linux box ready to go if something messes up on my windows machines. I rarely need it. However, if I were paranoid about getting offline --which really isn't as relevant as it was even 5 years ago-- I would keep my essentials on a usb drive. I used to use "puppy linux" because it had everything I needed and was fast. Nowadays, though, I can get online with my phone, and all of my info is backed-up on multiple drives. (Now, a fire at my house and job would screw me up big time --but so would an emp burst :)

I guess my general point is that information security is more important nowadays (to me) than information or internet access. Years ago, if my computer were infected or put down I wouldn't be able to do anything computer related. Now, between the relative stability of windows, the portability of linux and wireless access, I worry most about hardware failure.
I do think that soon we'll be just using memory cards/sticks and accessing a network for applications. Yeah, sorta like the google idea.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: VIRUS

Postby Bär on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:33 am

Bär
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic