Fucking Hell!

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Fucking Hell!

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:32 am

Like I said, rape and murder are vile, despicable, immoral etc. Even accusing someone wrongly of rape can be vile. But, saying "fuck" or "fucking" is not vile, just vulgar. It's what the "common" people say, --and I even explained where the perception that good old Anglo-Saxon words were vulgar came from. It's true that, to those who considered themselves the elite, that those words were low class. Me, I think they're fine ... but are inappropriate in some contexts. I wouldn't name my food "shit," yet I had a cat named "pussy" and scratched my "dick" all the time. Alls I'm saying is that feces, vagina and penis are not less (or more) vile. They're just a bit more classy.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 am

new product idea: coitus intereptus automobiles... For when you just got to pull out (of that parking spot). ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:13 am

this thread makes me think all the participants were trollyed when posting...

:)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:04 am

this thread makes me think all the participants were trollyed when posting

Well, the one thing I loved about London pubs was that I could get pissed and then say "I'm gonna take a piss." I just love good 'ol Anglo-Saxon shite --and farts, burps, etc. Ok, I can appreciate when a lady prefers to say "I have the vapors" but ... c'mon, it's just "passing gas", which is still boring and much less ... expressive than "fart." I don't think one can even say "I'm gonna take a piss" in French :) Ya gotta say something like "ramasser les herbes pousser" or some crap like that --which can be fun, too. Personally, I think a disgusting name for beer would be "Porcelain Goddess."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:33 am

Never thought I'd see the day when classy, reserved Steve James started bandying around the playground potty talk! :D

Anglo-Saxon vs. William the Conquerer's classy Norman-speak pervades every facet of English language, not just the "naughty bits." Lake (lac) vs. pond, beef (boeuf) vs. meat, etc. The French just naturally outclassed the Brits in everything anyway, including cuisine... er... cooking. Even now that they are a fallen empire, France still sticks to its guns, banning Anglo-American words from its official lexicon (although the gentry... er... folks... use them, "babysitter" being one that's popular).
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:10 am

Ah, well, before I took classes with William Alfred and Derek Pearsall, I was a dockbuilder. M-f and c-s were in every single sentence. Anyway, a guy gots to have lots of codes to get by. They're all equal and equally useful. Besides, scatology is a noble science.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

You're right, Steve. It's just the argot of the particular trade/socio-economic circle one travels in. All dialects and usages are equally valid as long as they are understood as the lingua franca ( ;) )within the circle in which one abides.
Last edited by Interloper on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Chris Fleming

Previous

Return to Off the Topic