Starting 'em early

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Starting 'em early

Postby Dmitri on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 am

Think he's gonna be a boxer when he grows up? ::)

I was gonna say something along the lines that, to me personally, that's just too much/too specific for that age; he's going to "form into" a boxer whether he likes it or not, physically and mentally; why not let him develop naturally a bit more?

But then I thought, what if he's like this girl (or Emily Bear, or ...)?

Daddy (mommy, etc.) knows best I guess. :-/

But however you turn it, this is incredible skill/talent.
One of the great things about the internet is that prodigy discovery process is now quite different, compared to the time before the internet was around. (Which is only what, some lousy 15 years ago...?)
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: Starting 'em early

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:47 am

Pretty impressive. I never saw a small child be that good at martial arts. The "Army Now" song brings nostalgia.

I am reading a book called "Creative Play for 2-5s". It does not speak of martial arts directly, but it gives tips on how to spot talent in your child and help them play in ways that are fun but also make them become good at something they like. It`s not about making geniuses out of kids, just help them develop their potential.

If the child is forced to do sports/art/science, it is no good. But if he finds it fun, while still having a social life, I see no problem with it. The key is to find the balance between letting them have fun and mess around the field they like and give them technical advice to help them become better.

For me, it depends on the child. Let them do something they enjoy and give them guidance and support but also let them play with other children. IMO, playing with others develops not only social skills but empathy too.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:06 am

the more you develop a child in their very young years, the more hands on and aware you are, I believe that will be a huge factor in determining the kids value as a citizen overall.
The more you leave a child to their own devices, the more they will not learn and not grow because they are empty slate absorbing everything, especially the self gratifying and the easy things.

Children that are left alone tend to grow up unmotivated, low self esteem somewhat and not very good at contirbuting.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:22 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Children that are left alone tend to grow up unmotivated, low self esteem somewhat and not very good at contirbuting.

I've also seen the same qualities in children who were, on the contrary, never left alone (had overbearing/over-caring/over-praising parents.)
It's always about balance, IME...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:28 am

Dmitri wrote:
Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Children that are left alone tend to grow up unmotivated, low self esteem somewhat and not very good at contirbuting.

I've also seen the same qualities in children who were, on the contrary, never left alone (had overbearing/over-caring/over-praising parents.)
It's always about balance, IME...

Overbearing and Overacting without a growth activity attached can be counterproductive for sure, I agree.

But when there is a goal and a process and a method in use, it is a whole different enchilada.

spending time with kids and investing time in them are two different things.

and yes, balance is key. There is zero wrong with education be it physical or mental though.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:43 am

There was a commercial that aired on the radio, it said something like: "1 out of 100,000 children are prodigies while 1 out 150 children have autism. Have your child screened for autism to begin early treatment."

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic