I'm retiring from martial arts

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: I'm retiring from martial arts

Postby nianfong on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:50 am

my bro says that often fitness and health do not go hand-in-hand according to chinese medicine. I've been working and training hard recently, and he said that my kidney was taxed heavily by it, so I need to tonify it. if you train hard, you have to make sure your nutrition matches to avoid health problems.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:11 am

Also, once you start giving up, it is harder to go back. I understand your decision, but if you can keep up some form of MA training it would be easier to go back to it, should you wish so later on.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:50 pm

nianfong wrote:my bro says that often fitness and health do not go hand-in-hand according to chinese medicine. I've been working and training hard recently, and he said that my kidney was taxed heavily by it, so I need to tonify it. if you train hard, you have to make sure your nutrition matches to avoid health problems.

Naw, you're kidney was taxed heavily 'cause of all the drinking & partying you do... ;D
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:05 pm

hahaha that taxes other organs more, man ;)
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Andy_S on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:49 pm

These are all good questions.

Personally, I think if you train as hard as the old masters did (ie hours daily) you are DEFINITELY going to injure yourself structurally unless your technique is perfect. Masters being masters, they may well have had perfect technique; for us mortals, this seems unlikely. For this reason, biomechanical structure is my key interest in training these days.

Likewise, if you do a lot of sparring, you are DEFINITELY going to pick up impact injuries. The question is whether your rest and treatment allows these to heal; if not, they will become chronic.

At 43, I believe (increasingly) in moderation and a broad exercise regimen, rather than focus on only one area (weights, MA, running, etc). Certainly, one's diet and environment is also a factor. If Yang Lu-chan trained like a madman but
(1) Had perfect technique,
(2) Ate quality, natural food sans the myriad additives we all have to live with;
(3) Lived in an environment without much air pollution and
(4) had good genetics, then he may well have kicked and flipped till his 90s.

It is worth remembering that we have much better medical conditions and wider nutritional and exercise choices than the old generation. I often think, however, that medical science concentrates too much on fixing symptoms not causes. That having been said, the fact that so many senior members of this very board have had to have replacement surgery is cause for concern: I am not arrogant enough to consider my technique structurally better than theirs.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:32 pm

So, Buddy, if you want something low impact but still kinda cool, there is the Beijing Yang 16 step hand form. No squats, no kicks. Qiphlow told me about it when I needed something for an elderly person to relearn some mobility and control stuff. The stances can be shorter and higher than those shown below, if you like.

When they put you under, you can dream about pretty girls in pink pajamas.
Last edited by klonk on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:42 pm

nianfong wrote:my bro says that often fitness and health do not go hand-in-hand according to chinese medicine. I've been working and training hard recently, and he said that my kidney was taxed heavily by it, so I need to tonify it. if you train hard, you have to make sure your nutrition matches to avoid health problems.

I always keep in mind that marathon runners don't live long lives.

But then I remind myself that a good life really is about the quality of your life and not the quantity.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Buddy on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:24 am

Thanks everyone. I suspect my training played a definite part of my current condition, I used to train pretty hard. I have never studied Dzogchen but am interested in it. And thank you in particular to those who are suggesting that I continue teaching at some point and I think I've reconsidered that part. I've always loved teaching the best. If I do, in the future, I've decided that I will teach for free, donation only. I was watching a little of "The Buddha" last night and felt so much admiration for selfless monks.
I'll still be around but no more controversy for me. See you on the lighter side. ;D
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:16 am

Buddy:

I know an intense martial arts practitioner who had to get a hip replacement at age 57 or so--he managed to get back into the art, run his school, and do full splits--there is always hope.

I know you are a no bullshit guy but give this clip a chance--not new age bs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc

This might be a good place to be while you are recovering--

You are a bagua player and perhaps a good place to continue is with static 8 mother palm postures and working up a routine with weighted training, zhan zhuang, and general walking.

Depression is what may be your deepest enemy--there is always hope in the sense that there is some aspect of martial arts you will be able to continue to practice--it just might not in a way you had always envisioned--

Best regards!
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:22 am

Shooting should be a safe martial activity. I am serious. Plus, you can try to combine with your own body method.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic