Liver, liver pills, etc

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Liver, liver pills, etc

Postby chud on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:13 am

nianfong wrote:yeah I love eating liver too. chinese people cherish the internal organs of animals.... as do europeans. the organs have way more nutrients than muscles. it's mostly americans that disdain the good stuff.

My mom told me that when she was pregnant with me her ob-gyn doc told her to eat liver-n-onions once a week. My mom hated it, but she dutifully had it once a week for dinner. Fast forward to a few years ago and my wife was pregnant with our first child; her ob-gyn doc told her to take iron supplements.
I think the old-fashioned method is better.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:35 am

You have to be careful with liver because it is a rich source of vitamin A. Too much causes serious problems. Bear liver, as an example, has so much vitamin A in it, that if you were to eat one in one sitting it would kill you. I think the thing about vitamin A and also D is that your body can store them in fat tissue, so that the levels can build up over time to toxic levels. Other vitamins as far as I know are water soluble and are flushed out of the body and can't build up to the same extent.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:10 am

Azer wrote:I would be interested in giving these a go, but the potential Hypervitaminosis A is kinda off-putting.

Some other anecdotal info I came across was that predators always eat the liver of their prey first, and it is usually consumed by the alpha male. Dont know how true this is, but interesting.

Nianfong , how long have you been taking these?

Unfortunately they don't list Vitamin A (Retinol)
http://www.nutritionexpress.com/supplem ... blets.aspx
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42 am

How come nobody has posted a picture of Hannibal Lecter on this thread yet? He liked liver.... but only with a fine Chianti.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42 am

I just started taking them last week and I already feel a difference. it's pretty great!
nianfong
Administrator

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Glutathione is the most powerful antioxidant in the body, it's manufactured in the liver. There's an enzyme in the body that breaks down Glutathione in the gut so it can't be absorbed from the diet.

N-AC is one of the building block amino acids for the liver to manufature Glutathione. It's a good supplement to take.

If you overdose on acetaminophen you would likely be given an I.V. form of N-AC to build up the glutathione and prevent liver failure.

Milk Thistle/ Silymarin is an herb that protects and preserves glutathione.

MRM brand Silymarin is the most potent yet cheapest brand.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:11 pm

what are you saying Devlin, liver pills are no good?
somatai

Postby Bill on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Wow, that drowning rat study is old. I first heard about it from my wrestling coach back in the early 70's.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:19 pm

That's the problem with all the organ extract pills- you don't know what's in them or where they came from. It's a shot in the dark.

Just taking a guess that some of the glutathione in the raw extracts passes through the intestinal wall, maybe 10%, so 3000mg of liver pill would maybe be giving you 30mg worth.

Men should have blood levels of iron checked before they take iron containing supplements.

Also, how's that ionized water treating you, good?

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:22 pm

it is great......seeing amazing things for myself as well as clients...highly reccomend it!

have you checked out http://www.dragonherbs.com/
somatai

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Dragon Herbs has some great products but it's like buying Dit Da Jow by the bottle. Gets really expensive if you're a serious iron palm practitioner. Same thing with the herbs. It's more efficient and cost effective to know how to mix formulas yourself or at least know where to buy an herb pack of what you want to make.
Chris Fleming

Postby Dale Dugas on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:03 pm

I have both tonic internal formulas as well as dit da jow.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:41 pm

I doubt vitamin A toxicity is that common.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 am

I still need to get me an ionizer.

The dragon herbs--just looking through that real quick they all seem pretty hot or yang.

Look at it like Yin is the oil in a dark lamp, Yang is the flame running of the oil, the flame makes us feel good and alive, we can fan the flame with tonic herbs and it burns bigger and we feel even better. The problem is we only have a finite amount of oil in the lamp, we can't see in there so we don't know how much we have, we'll only know when it's gone, we can burn a bigger flame but it's only going to burn our oil up faster.

If you feel low Yang/energy/vitality it's a sign that the body is naturally lowering the flame to preserve Yin. It's better to supplement the Yin rather than the equivalent of squirting lighter fluid on the flame.

Many people will not have a problem with them, it's just taking it off the end of their life so they'll never really know, so you have to ask yourself "Is it better to burn out? Or to fade away?"

:D

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic