What styles of taijiquan have you studied?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: What styles of taijiquan have you studied?

Postby johnrieber on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:25 pm

hey!

anybody remember that frank miller story where the kingpin used yang style 'brush knee and twist step' on daredevil?
johnrieber

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:35 pm

Phrost wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:
Anyone can post here as long as they are respectful and aren't trolling. If you stick around you might learn something. However seeing as how you resurrected a dead thread to troll it I wonder if you can even make it here. Being respectful can be hard sometimes. So why do you feel the need to ridicule things you are ignorant about? Being ignorant isn't something to be shameful of, we are all ignorant about something.

Trolling is such a subjective term. Have you seen Phil Elmore's forum? Trolling there is defined as "disagreeing with Phil Elmore".

I'm being completely respectful. I haven't ridiculed anyone, quite the opposite. I'm simply pointing out why we feel the old man's performance was awesome.

By the way, are you related to Hermes?

Ah yes but there are several classic trolling behaviors. Here you go http://www.curezone.com/forums/troll.asp.

Never seen Phil Elmore's forum. I only post in a few forums. It takes a good moderator to make a good forum and each forum develops its own personality and acceptable behaviors. Obviously someone who mods people for disagreeing will not make a good mod.

You are being sarcastic and no one believes that you actually think that was a good break dancing lesson or whatever. So you might as well drop that act. But seriously though when you learn a move in juujutsuu does your teacher ever break it down into steps? Then you might practice the sequence stopping at each step to get a good feel for your body position and correct any mistakes?

I am not related to the greek god hermes.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Daniel on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:41 pm

The answer to the original question is

1) Yang, Dong-family style

2) vague vague vague recollections (thankfully) of doing Beijing 24 when I started out at 16

3) Old Yang, a little

4) lots and lots of chanzigong , classical as well as some completely free versions of this

and 5) huge amounts of Grasp Sparrow´s Tail for hours, combining standing practices, moving practices, different internal form-work, different speed-work, then working the four energies combined and later, in rou shou and, later than that, fighting. And later still, going for more coffee. But slowly. With panache. And verve.

And further, for some reason I feel inclined to include this -violin- which in no way should be taken as a comment on anything in particular.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Last edited by Daniel on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby kungpao on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:41 pm

to answer the original question:
yang style from chen wei ming's lineage and bits from other yang variations
kungpao
Santi

Postby The Leopards Paw on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:04 pm

I don't think this Phrost gentleman has the discipline to takes to commit himself to an internal style of training.

He would rather his progression be evident to outsiders then be confident and secure in his own knowledge of progression on the inside.
The Leopards Paw

Postby JessOBrien on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:15 pm

Phrost and bullshido have a job to do, which is to attack frauds and smash the strip mall dojos that teach the "deadly art of invincible" whatever. I've been lucky to have instructors who recognized their own strengths and weaknesses, and never made absurd claims. But a lot of people get suckered into outrageous marketing claims, and bullshido is doing good work in attacking such frauds.

As for clowning on various stuff that they don't understand, I try not to get offended. They gotta lotta meatheads on their boards that feel the need to pounce on people weaker than them. It's childish and lame but, whatever, that's the internet for ya. Their work in exposing frauds is admirable. I wouldn't go to the trouble, but I'm glad that someone does.

I also read some comic books by guys like Alan Moore, Grant Morisson, Bill Wellingham and Neil Gaiman.

I also did some Tai Chi within Cheng Man Ching, Wu, Yang, Wu, and Chen Pan Ling systems. Tai Chi is cool, but it's too hard so I stick with Ba Gua.

-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:25 pm

In the interest of friendly, adult exchanges of ideas and the brotherhood of all "Martial Artists" I'd sincerely like to know what you mean. Are you a member or representative of the EF staff? Are you challenging me to Gong Sau? Would you like to grab a beer at Chez Jose Mexican Restaurant and discuss comic books?

Wow you have access to the internet.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Lezzie McBean on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Dear "S",

Go eat a bag of dicks and lie down. Maybe you'll be less crabby.

Also, to answer the OP, just Wu.

Also, why does that cool guy SubZero keep getting banned? If I wasn't a lesbian, I'd be all over him.
Last edited by Lezzie McBean on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lezzie McBean

Postby Bär on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:57 pm

Here we fucking go again.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Lezzie McBean on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Another intolerant facist.

Are there any women on this forum, or is it just a bunch of robotting fat guys circle jerking each other about how x form is so practical or awesome and y style is FOR SUPER DUPER SECRET BADASSES ONLY, while trying to "release" their "chi" onto someone's "face"?
Last edited by Lezzie McBean on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lezzie McBean

Postby The Leopards Paw on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Great more trolls.

At least this one is a "lesbian"....at least an internet lesbian.

And what style of "wu" do you actually practice Lizzy?
The Leopards Paw

Postby Lezzie McBean on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:02 pm

I train with Fei Guo Qing in Wu style Tai chi.
Lezzie McBean

Postby Daniel on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:03 pm

Some people just have slow friday nights, don´t they. What IMA´s do you do yourself, by the way, Paw?

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby The Leopards Paw on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:04 pm

So what is your opinion then of the mocking video this Mr. Phost has made?
Would you appreciate it if that was your Sifu being mocked?
Have you done this form before?
The Leopards Paw

Postby Lezzie McBean on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:06 pm

I've never done a form like that. My instructor would bend me over his knee (as if I'd let him) for doing things without fluidity. I wouldn't have to worry about my sifu being mocked; he's a man, and like all men, he reaps what he sows.
Lezzie McBean

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That