The Tai Chi websites and the kind of people they attract

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

The Tai Chi websites and the kind of people they attract

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Discuss. :P
Chris McKinley

Re: The Tai Chi websites and the kind of people they attract

Postby Daniel on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:20 am

Yes, I think this is an important topic to be aware of. If we can´t divide it up in further segments and discuss them, it´s difficult to understand just how utterly pointless it truly is.

I think that a good Tai Chee Website should have (at the very least) the following ingredients. Other factors would intervene, but I would humbly present a general list to start off with.

1) Chinese characters on the first page
2) Picture of people in pajama on the first page
3) Picture of the teacher or master teaching or giving smiling corrections to students in pajama on the first page.

Other things to be expected are:

4) positive statements from students, maybe even endorsments from other teachers and masters
5) a video-section of people teaching, but the master only stepping in rarely to give a single, smiling correction whereupon everybody lights up like little karmic lights and bells just went off in their heads
6) pictures of other chinese items - masks, taoist temples, bells, walls, cigarette packages, smog - no, hang on, those last two are from actual China, we don´t want to flag that in the middle of the dream.

7) Class schedules, listing several qigongs as well as the Taiji-classes. For extra points, Taiji Fan, or Taiji sword done with composite or wooden swords in a gentle way that has nothing to do with martial arts.
8) Q&A. Helping to figure out such questions as what to wear to practice (in my own class, combat boots or whatever, and any kind of clothing, if we´re practicing outdoors, remember gloves and scarves in the winter), if you can take prescribed drugs or hallucinogenics before class etc (yes, it will help). Is Taiji a martial art? No, not at all, but it was once upon a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It has now outgrown this. Push hands? Done in a non-competative, non-challenging way. Here we gently dissolve our egos, not bruise them. Quoting the Witches Tao Te Ching: "Heavy Rains don´t last long under a Lunar Eclipse".
9) Lineage chart or pictures of teacher with teachers/masters. NB: THERE MUST NOT BE LISTED AMOUNT OF TIME SPENT WITH ANY OF THE TEACHERS, ESPECIALLY IF THE LIST IS LONG. It´s the little details that are important. The teacher/master has, however "been to China".

Optionals: Colour scheme should ideally be something new agey. Simple and stark colours don´t belong here; for full and optimal effect, please include light pastels. Reiki treatments often bring more students, so keep those in mind. Or the teacher can do all the Reiki training and then do treatments him- or herself, most people can spare one weekend of their busy schedule to learn this.

Well, that´s a first introduction. Maybe other people can add things I have missed, I am very humble in presenting this list, but it seems like the above formula is working very well out there.

Re Mr McKinley´s original question - what kind of people would a website like this attract? Everybody.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Last edited by Daniel on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:34 am

The marketing fu is strong in this one.
Chris McKinley

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:49 am

good summary, D, but you forgot one thing: misty rain body touching practices. The site has to have a section devoted to doing tai chee in the nude, preferably with a partner. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:34 pm

What I find amusing is the surprisingly reliable pattern where posters who are least likely to train in a combat-realistic manner are also the most likely to reference other people's statements rather than posting their own original thoughts. ;D
Chris McKinley

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:54 pm

I think I read this over at the "Menstrual Moon Womyns bookstore and Vegan-Lesbian Anarchists Collective." (It's where I pick up my latest copy of tai chi magazine :) )

Quoting the Witches Tao Te Ching: "Heavy Rains don´t last long under a Lunar Eclipse".
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:What I find amusing is the surprisingly reliable pattern where posters who are least likely to train in a combat-realistic manner are also the most likely to reference other people's statements rather than posting their own original thoughts. ;D

You'd be surprised how often I'm punched in the face ;D

mix- takes the rough with the smooth.
Last edited by mixjourneyman on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:12 pm

I believe that you take the rough with the smooth.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:32 pm

festering filthy minded little trollop! ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby karlson on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Here's the lot:
karlson
Huajing

Postby meeks on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:35 pm

or was it 'taking the rough with the gentle' ?
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby RobP2 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:48 am

Chris McKinley wrote:What I find amusing is the surprisingly reliable pattern where posters who are least likely to train in a combat-realistic manner are also the most likely to reference other people's statements rather than posting their own original thoughts. ;D

You know that's so true, it's like my Master used to say if you have to use it then you don't know it, but if you never use then you might know but could use it if you had to - but you wouldn't have to cos you, like, know it and I remember when he said that we were all like "OMG, Sifu is so wise" it's kind of sad cos he was hit by a truck the next day but you know I guess that was his tao.....
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:57 am

shawnsegler wrote:I think I read this over at the "Menstrual Moon Womyns bookstore and Vegan-Lesbian Anarchists Collective." (It's where I pick up my latest copy of tai chi magazine :) )

Quoting the Witches Tao Te Ching: "Heavy Rains don´t last long under a Lunar Eclipse".

Brilliant, Shawn, so we can talk about this openly now? Good for you. About time. ;D

And thank you kindly for the words, Master McKinley: it has taken much study, much hours, eating bitter, very hard, long time, to get marketing fu this strong, this solid. My Santi has got it´s own AD.

Mix - are you telling us that Master Yang´s school doesn´t include misty body practices? What kind of a dump are you training at anyway? 8-)

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:45 am

Bwahaha ROFL thanks for the laughs
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:30 am

Daniel: naw, we are just low level. We haven't gotten past the whole punch him in the spare rib and throw him on the floor thing. I guess we will never be ultra enlightened Boddhi Dharmas of the western kingdoms.... ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Next

Return to Been There Done That