GRE

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

GRE

Postby Strange on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:39 pm

Heya, anyone here took the GRE General Test before?
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Re: GRE

Postby affa on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:08 am

yup... but i think it's changed quite a bit since i took it in '99 ???
16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:50 pm

i see... i think i'm having a go
anything to look out for?
cheers
Strange
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:59 am

I took it about 4 years ago. If you need to get a very high score in the quantitative/math section (>760), be warned that most books and practice tests give mostly much easier questions than you'll face on the computer adapted test. I found shortage of time to be a problem for that part - most questions were fine but there was one that was a real time hog! Stuff that is covered only goes up to Intermediate algebra, but you can save a lot of time if you notice some of the tricks and shortcuts for questions.
The verbal stuff - the books and practice tests were more representative of what showed up on test. Just need to work through a lot of these if that section is important to you. The tricky thing for the x is to Y as A is to B type questions is they go with the root meaning of the word rather than its general usage, So "catholic" for instance is taken to mean inclusive.
Depending on your goals, leave yourself plenty of time to study for it. Like 3-6 months. Practice timed tests and see how quick you can knock out math/verbal questions rather than without time pressure. Preferably take it early so you have time to retake it if necessary. The old score gets reported too, but it's only the latest one people care about (unless you've obviously retaken it a lot of times!). Most help /study books will give you the same advice: due to the computer adapting method of generating questions, the initial questions will be easy, so you could answer them quickly, but if you screw them up it'll drop your score a huge amount, from which it's difficult to bring it back up. Make sure to double check what the question is asking for since often it's phrased in a tricky way.

There's a bunch of assorted info on this forum:
http://www.urch.com/forums/gre/
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:02 am

really? ... thats not good
i'm weak in the quantititaive parts, and if the questions are tricky, its gonna be bad for me.
3-6 months? i'm planning to book for december.

gonna give it a go
thanks for the input
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:24 am

If you have the option, you may also consider taking a practice GRE first, then coming back for the real thing next year. Local community centers and certain online services offer practice runs. Here's an example:

http://www.princetonreview.com/grad/fre ... -test.aspx
Chris McKinley

Postby Father_Jon on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Strange: I took the test in 2008. I hadn't taken a math class since high school, so that was a big concern for me. I bit the bullet and purchased the Princeton Review study guide, and got really good results with it. At a very basic level, the guide is teaching you how to take the test, instead of just focusing on the material to be covered. It took me a while to get my head around that concept, and during that time I focused solely on the raw skills being taught. That said, I feel as though I did learn quite a bit about math over the course of my study. I even ended up passing the math section with a 710. So, I'd recommend the guide highly. Also comes w/ a cd that has some practice tests you can take. Good luck
Father_Jon
Santi

Postby Strange on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:23 am

wow 710! i think that's very very good.
Thanks all for input, my friend brought me a barron's test prep book
so far i think its quite ok, and rather in line with what you all say about the princeton one.
think i'll have to really concentrate for a period of time.
thanks again :)

S
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Return to Been There Done That