Taijiquan - RIP

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Taijiquan - RIP

Postby cerebus on Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Hey man.....I just noticed that, like, Whataburger is, like, saying......What a burger? Ya know, like, it's asking the question. But is it, like, what a burger, like....this burger is so good that I'm taken by surprise.....or is it more like.....What, a burger? Like, are we having burgers yet again for the third meal in two days? And what about Jack-in-the-Box, man? What's that about?

;D ;D
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 pm

But wait, like, if you just "have it your way," like on TV, what have you got? It's still just your way.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby GaryR on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:51 pm

shawnsegler wrote:
GaryR wrote:
shawnsegler wrote:After many, many years GaryR finally moves up from nutriding on other peoples whiney threads to verbally masturbating on his own.

Here's to ya, Gary....

Thanks Shawn! Cheers! Actually the verbal masturbation is more on the reversal of thought I've had over the years...

Your still quick to add little of substance to a thread I see ;)

Hope all is well...

G

It was late when I posted this last night. Now it computes...you are just nutriding Chris's point from the "why hadn't bagua??" thread. Doesn't surprise me that nothing has changed.

But, as always, Here's to ya Gary....

ummm, sorry haven't read or seen the thread, but again, quick to add little to negative substance, cheers..

G
GaryR

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:48 am

As Gary knows, in the sense of putting to rest hopes that Taijiquan will be taken seriously as a combat art enough to be public about teaching it, I said RIP to that notion many, many years ago. I decided to do then what I think people are realizing is the only thing that can really be done today if one believes in the art, and that is practice on your own for your own reasons and occasionally talk shop about it in private with those interested. Hanging out a shingle that reads "Taijiquan" and then teaching an art for combat is just a confusing uphill battle and ultimately a losing proposition in terms of public perception.
Chris McKinley

Postby cerebus on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:30 am

The only thing that needs to happen for Tai Chi to become "known" as a combat art, is for those who practice and teach it as such to make "combat Tai Chi" very public and very visible.

This means fighting and winning in full-contact matches and posting the pics/ vids of it, writing articles for the MA magazines about Tai Chi for combat, putting out advertisements in magazines emphasizing Tai Chi as a combat art, putting out videos and books on the subject, and finally... someone producing a Hollywood movie on the subject. And VOILA! Hundreds of years of bad rep gone in just a few years. If enough people want to do all that.

Personally, I don't have the connections or know how for much of that (advertisements, producing videos, Hollywood movie connections), though I hope to contribute to at least some of it (fighting some more matches & showing them publicly, maybe writing some articles).
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby GaryR on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:18 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:As Gary knows, in the sense of putting to rest hopes that Taijiquan will be taken seriously as a combat art enough to be public about teaching it, I said RIP to that notion many, many years ago. I decided to do then what I think people are realizing is the only thing that can really be done today if one believes in the art, and that is practice on your own for your own reasons and occasionally talk shop about it in private with those interested. Hanging out a shingle that reads "Taijiquan" and then teaching an art for combat is just a confusing uphill battle and ultimately a losing proposition in terms of public perception.

Exactly
GaryR

Postby GhostPalm on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:20 am

With shit like this http://www.flowingcombat.com/demos.php being shat out onto the world wide web i would agree with the OP - Taiji is dead.
GhostPalm
Santi

Postby Dmitri on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:15 am

GhostPalm wrote:With shit like this http://www.flowingcombat.com/demos.php being shat out onto the world wide web i would agree with the OP - Taiji is dead.

;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:37 pm

GhostPalm wrote:With shit like this http://www.flowingcombat.com/demos.php being shat out onto the world wide web i would agree with the OP - Taiji is dead.

I actually thought (despite his old man, robotic structure) he was doing a better job than most guys that play the "aha! you moved your foot! I'm the bad-ass-iest!"
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby GaryR on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:49 am

meeks wrote:

I actually thought (despite his old man, robotic structure) he was doing a better job than most guys that play the "aha! you moved your foot! I'm the bad-ass-iest!"

Those are 5+ year old clips of teaching footage, pasted into product demos, the structure/motion is exaggerated and broken down at times for teaching purposes, perhaps instead of music I will leave the narrative next time.. Also its not "taiji", and its actually a little insulting to my "flowing combat" brand be associated with the majority of tai chi teachers / practitioners (martially speaking). So since you went after me, who are you? What is your name "ghost palm", experience, and opinion on the state of taiji martially?
GaryR

Postby GhostPalm on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:59 pm

GaryR wrote:
meeks wrote:

Those are 5+ year old clips of teaching footage, pasted into product demos, the structure/motion is exaggerated and broken down at times for teaching purposes, perhaps instead of music I will leave the narrative next time.. Also its not "taiji", and its actually a little insulting to my "flowing combat" brand be associated with the majority of tai chi teachers / practitioners (martially speaking). So since you went after me, who are you? What is your name "ghost palm", experience, and opinion on the state of taiji martially?

Haha - Gary we have actually met. And you are as much of dick on this forum as you are in real life. And your "flowing combat" is as shitty now as they are in the useless vids on your website. In fact i am just a web-troll following you to this forum to give you shit on the pathetic posts and opinions you voice.
Last edited by GhostPalm on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GhostPalm
Santi

Postby xxxxx on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

GhostPalm wrote:And you are... And your "flowing combat" is...
In fact i am just a web-troll

Change your tone or begone.
xxxxx
Global Moderator

Postby RobP2 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:56 am

GhostPalm wrote:
Haha - Gary we have actually met. And you are as much of dick on this forum as you are in real life. And your "flowing combat" is as shitty now as they are in the useless vids on your website. In fact i am just a web-troll following you to this forum to give you shit on the pathetic posts and opinions you voice.

I don't know Gary from Adam but I'm 99% certain that you didn't call him a dick to his face when you met him
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby GaryR on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:18 pm

I don't recall anyone in a martial art context (in person anyway), ever saying I was a dick, or that my stuff was "shitty" to my face. If Mr or Mrs "ghost palm" is actually telling the truth that he/she met me (which I highly doubt), perhaps they could say when/where, and what his/her real name is? I'm more likely to think palm is just a troll, and the last sentence of their post is sadly more accurate than the rest of the post.

I am in Los Angeles ghost palm. If your ever in the area perhaps you can personally demonstrate for me how I suck and show me how its done (in a friendly non-dick way of course)? If so, I will be pleased, as there is always something to learn. I won't hold my breath, but feel free to PM me if you want to discuss details. You are also free to bring your current tai chi teacher (if your not the teacher obviously), I am always happy to compare notes with a fellow Neijia instructor. :)

Best,

G
GaryR

Postby MartialRainbowmagic on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:30 am

Keep the faith!
Taiji is back!
MartialRainbowmagic
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That