Taijiquan - RIP

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Taijiquan - RIP

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:28 am

martialrainbowtaichimagicpants....OK, I tried to read your blog post... but it was a bit rambling.... but I think the essence is...

... you wanted to prove Tai Chi works by fighting in an MMA fight... but instead of fighting in an MMA fight with Tai Chi you have written a book about how to fight in an MMA fight with Tai Chi.... you want somebody to read the book... then fight in an MMA fight using the techniques in the book.... and if it doesn't work you'll give them their money back?

errrrrr.... is that really what you just said?
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby MartialRainbowmagic on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:09 pm

A better summary might be: I have Taiji skills that work in MMA fights. I would like to share them with the MMA community, to make a contribution. Additionally, since my business is academics, I translated and compiled some of my teachers work into a book about MMA, based primarily on his ideas not mine. After I'm satisfied with my accomplishments in the MMA department, I'll publish my own take on the subject. Definitely, look for a sequel to the documentary on the blog btw.

Just to be clear. If you use one of my teachers techniques in an MMA fight and you lose Fang Mountain Martial Arts Training Center will give you double your money back. There are a lot of Kungfu teachers trying to move products on the internet these days. How many actually encourage students to test what they learn, and take responsibility if it doesn't work? Only one that I know of.

MartialRainbowmagic
Anjing

Postby GrahamB on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:45 am

MartialRainbowmagic wrote:A better summary might be: I have Taiji skills that work in MMA fights.

But how do you know this? Have you actually entered a proper mma fight and used taiji technique?

I would like to share them with the MMA community, to make a contribution. Additionally, since my business is academics, I translated and compiled some of my teachers work into a book about MMA, based primarily on his ideas not mine. After I'm satisfied with my accomplishments in the MMA department, I'll publish my own take on the subject. Definitely, look for a sequel to the documentary on the blog btw.

Just to be clear. If you use one of my teachers techniques in an MMA fight and you lose Fang Mountain Martial Arts Training Center will give you double your money back. There are a lot of Kungfu teachers trying to move products on the internet these days. How many actually encourage students to test what they learn, and take responsibility if it doesn't work? Only one that I know of.

That's all very well, but I think you're going to need an MMA career with several wins before anyone takes you seriously
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby MartialRainbowmagic on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Did you master prove to you that Qi existed before he started selling you Qigong dvds? It's no more outrageous to say that Taiji works in mma than to say that boxing does. It's just that there are not as many crap boxing teachers out there making boxing look weak. RIP applies only to the fake TCM out there, now that China is opening up, the power of Chinese martial arts is going to naturally reemerge.
MartialRainbowmagic
Anjing

Postby bartekb on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:43 am

It's no more outrageous to say that Taiji works in mma than to say that boxing does.

Actually there are boxers turned MMA quite succesfully, there are MMA guys admitting they train boxing - Anderson Silva is thinking about switching to boxing, I think Kimbo Slice did - just shows how close boxing is to MMA. NEVER heard of any Taiji talk from any of bigger MMA stars, actually the only martial art not beeing bjj/wrestling/thai/boxing/judo/mt is Machidas shotokan when you look at the top guys.
As for the qigong dvds - I personally been training MA for some time - never bought any dvds and never tried to learn someting form someone unless they could prove they can apply what and how they teach.
Last edited by bartekb on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:19 am

Over the rainbow, my teacher (who is not my "master") doesn't sell qigong DVDs.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby rob2 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:47 am

-
Last edited by rob2 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob2
Anjing

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:51 am

rob2 wrote:Graham - didn't Stand Still Be Fit get a DVD release? I vaguely remember seeing it years ago when I was trainig Karate (sorry, Karotty) and not Tai Chi

I think it was a VHS of the TV series, but Master Lam is not my teacher anyway. Frankly, I don't think I could afford him ;D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:33 am

double your money back isn;t much of an incentive if you have just had your body returned to as a collection of bones in a bag of mashed up skin.. and that applies to MMA dvd's and qigong dvds too :)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:35 am

Martialrainbowmagic,

Go make that same offer to SOCOM, your local S.W.A.T. team, or even your local beat cops and I'll be impressed.
Chris McKinley

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:22 am

MartialRainbowmagic wrote:....now that China is opening up, the power of Chinese martial arts is going to naturally reemerge.

Actually, Chinese martial arts did reemerge....outside of China....in many lands, about 60 years ago! ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:06 am

Wow, haven´t looked at this thread for a while. Impressive what you guys did with the wallpaper and curtains.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:13 am

Yeah, but there's mold in the ductwork, so we really shouldn't stay too long.
Chris McKinley

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 am

MartialRainbowmagic wrote:

MartialRainbowmagic:

Just out of curiosity, is the gentleman on the right in sunglasses, who appears to be lighting a cigarette in this photo, your teacher?

Doc :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Well, some of the pictures on the walls are a bit...well, you know what I mean, right? And...pastels? Seriously? Who did the interior decoration here?

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That