Interweb Challenges!

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Interweb Challenges!

Postby GrahamB on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:37 pm

Pah! I challenged you all to do my horse stance and only Teshu could do it - rum soaked wimps! ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Stuff it you woman from bath....ie..bath...woman.....
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby inner_achievement on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:44 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:The best bagua person will walk the circle more times than the other person. Lets start a Guinness book or worlds record! Dave..John....start walking.

Man. I just started really searching the forums and I dont want to dig up the past, but I have to say.... I LOVE THIS DRAMA BETWEEN YANG GUO TAI"S STUDENTS!!! So good! I just grab some popcorn and a 45 oz diet coke and enjoy.

I only met Yang three or four times but I sort of think everyone should get together and show their forms, walk the circle and then spar. That way those with something other then quotes from a book or their teacher will be evident. As far as who trained the longest bla bla bla.. Just because you go to high school for 15 years doesn't make you the best. Anyways I've watched videos and seen some of Yang's students do their stuff and thus have my own opinions. To all though I guess its about being humble, training hard and living with honor. Just like Tom Cruise in the "Last Samurai", or was that "Far and Away"? Cant quite remember.
inner_achievement
Santi

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Back in the early 1990's I had a fairly sizable school in Maryland, and was co-founder of the North America Chinese Martial Arts Federation. I used to get phone challenges all the time (this was before the web). Sometimes these guys would show up, generally not. Never had anyone show up I could not handle. It got tiresome -one day I was busy teaching, and my friend Dan Miller was sitting in my office working on some material for an upcoming PaKua Journal. The phone rang and I let Dan take it - it was some schmoe calling with a "challenge". Dan's reply: " ok, but he's busy fighting off some other challengers - you'll have to take a ticket and stand in line". Dead silence, then "click".

Dan had the best dead pan delivery I have ever seen - I laughed my ass off.

Another chucklehead, alluded to at the very beginning of this thread, a guy with no social skills whatsoever, used to call about once a month and ask for advice and opinions, then bloviate interminably about his own skills, make anti-semitic and anti-black remarks left and right but mostly directed at me (which is incredible, considering that I am neither), then angrily challenge me before hanging up. It was somewhere between entertaining, annoying, and pathetic. Nothing ever came of it, and he was very cordial when we met briefly in Houston some time later.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby RickMatz on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:08 pm

RickMatz
Huajing

Postby gzregorz on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:36 am

My favorite challenge came on old EF.

Someone was asking about Matt Furrey and someone else didn't think much of Matt and said so.

Then Matt Furrey found out about it somehow, created an account and told the guy (who didn't like him) that if wasn't convinced of Matt's wrestling abilities he would happy to drop him on his head.

Needless to say the conversation ended there.
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:28 am

Anything beyond friendly sport challenges are asinine and juvenile no matter who is participating. We study this material to protect ourselves or others from real predators, not each other. Purposefully injuring another person for anything other than unavoidable reasons is immoral.
Chris McKinley

Postby Daniel on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:44 am

I agree on that one.

If people want to challenge someone else that´s up to them, but I think the time and energy could be spent doing something useful instead.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:00 am

Chris McKinley wrote:Anything beyond friendly sport challenges are asinine and juvenile no matter who is participating. We study this material to protect ourselves or others from real predators, not each other. Purposefully injuring another person for anything other than unavoidable reasons is immoral.

It just depends on the context.
Here and now, I would say yes, that is mostly true, especially because otherwise we stand a very real chance of falling prey to the krotty kid/kung fu wizard delusion that so plagues the world of TMA. On the other hand, one hundred years ago in China, dudes made their living at this stuff while using it in many different ways. Being successful at a challenge match could enable you to become very famous and rich later.
Now the sport platform allows that sort of thing to happen.
Groovy,
sport and the fact that Li Cunyi has been dead for ages allows me not to get cut down with his saber, unless I happen to meet a lineage descendent who owns it and tries to hack me to bits!!

life is good.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 am

Hmmm, Guo Yunshen´s baijiucup could still be around... Still sounds a bit risky, Mix.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Anything beyond friendly sport challenges are asinine and juvenile no matter who is participating. We study this material to protect ourselves or others from real predators, not each other. Purposefully injuring another person for anything other than unavoidable reasons is immoral.

Quite so. Right on. :)

Besides, I am an avowed pacifist, and I'll pommel anyone who says I am not! ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:48 pm

And hey, anyone wanna pm me who the Taiji dude is who is being discussed at the beginning of this thread, just so I can be sure to avoid him? Thanks in advance...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:16 pm

Doc Stier wrote:

Quite so. Right on. :)

Besides, I am an avowed pacifist, and I'll pommel anyone who says I am not! ;)

I'm a pacifist,
yeah, I'ma pass a fist through some hippie's face...

Ba-ding-qing! <-- humour drums in Chinese pinyin.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:31 pm

oh, geez,
just remembered,
I recently got challenged not to challenge someone on the net.

A fellow found my old youtube account after I made a post about my trip to Hebei,
called me a fatty (apparently either missed the memo or somehow found out about the ten pounds I gained in Sapporo by eating Kara-age kun with my girlfriend every day. kara-age kun is tasty!), said there was no way that any of the stuff I was saying was true, and told me not to be a bitch and try to throw down an interweb challenge against him.
He had pestered me and our school a bit in the past. Think he may have been a bagua flunky who studied with my teacher for several years and left in a huff because he couldn't have his way about some sort of lineage related thing.
If it is the same guy,
he actually once threatened me in an email too....
squeez louise!!
what a crazy!!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Mix, you get the award for Internet challenge by proxy. I'm counting twice or thrice drawing teacher into ridiculous web conflicts.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That