Interweb Challenges!

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Interweb Challenges!

Postby yusuf on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:11 am

williamwilson666 wrote:Back when I was 13 a girl my age kicked me ass.

Then again, bearing in mind what I asked her to do, I can't say I blamed her.

have you figured out what to ask them for yet?
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 am

BaguaKicksAss wrote:I'm going to start pasting quotes from my Facebook friend the Dalai Lama here soon.

BKA

Wow, you´re Friends with the Dalai Lama... ;) ...can you persuade him to join RSF? Is that possible? Or maybe he´s already here, under a handle?..

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby williamwilson666 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:27 am

yusuf wrote:

Well, it's essentially the same thing- just phrased differently.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby yusuf on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 am

williamwilson666 wrote:
yusuf wrote:

Well, it's essentially the same thing- just phrased differently.

pervert :)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Rabbit on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:34 am

BT & Yak? I remembre a very funny exchange between them after they met - would love to see it again

Does BT post on here - he must have had 'challenging' moments?
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:16 am

StanTheMan wrote:
I've never had any internet challenges, but when I was studying Baguazhang with Yang Guo Tai one of his students kept trying to show me really stupid stuff. I finally told him to just go away because I only wanted to learn what the Shrfu was teaching. Then I said I didn't think his stuff would really work anyway (silly me I guess.) Then he challenged me to a fight to prove that his stuff would work. Then I said ok, lets fight. Then he started crying and ran away to tell the Shrfu that I was causing trouble. Yeah sure, I was pissed after that. To this day he keeps trying to cause trouble between me and anyone who will listen to him. I feel sorry for the RSF members (and other innocent people) that don't know the real background on this.

I saw this same guy challenge a 13 year old girl at Xu Gong Wei's class too, and the funny thing is she kicked his ass in about 3 seconds flat. Apparently that's news to him too... how could it not be?

uuhhhh... I guess Lianhuan is trying to say he made meeks cry and that a little girl kicked his ass? meeks... I sure don't envy you for knowing this guy - what a douche. but I guess his videos that everyone (myself included) thought he was a complete newb speak volumes about his skill. Lianhuan.. I don't know what to say man, other than I'm glad you don't live in USA. I've been reading your posts and you seemed to have a head on your shoulder (at first glance) - although you're quick to dismiss everyone's helpful advice. But from what I've read in the posts meeks was trying to be helpful/friendly to you and you told him to essentially fuck himself and smacked his hand away. Then you started attacking your old classmates and who were ALSO trying to share some helpful advice and you whipped out the name calling and 'go fuck yourselves' without even knowing who which classmate you were talking to. That there says it all for me about what happened, regardless of the fact it seems your classmates all have pretty much the same story about what events have occurred.

But this shit about meeks picking a fight with you? Meeks seems to roll pretty smooth when shit hits the fan and all I've experienced from your posts is 'fuck you I'm right and you're wrong' mixed with patronizing compliments and 'cheers!'.

And making shit up about kids....your just trolling on meeks now. I thought you were better than that. Look at that - you've proven me wrong.

And maybe, just maybe, if I'm lucky someday he can show me just how much an... er... cough cough.... a "black belt" like him really knows about Baguazhang.

whoops there it is - our first real interweb challenge on the interweb thread...

So...
Meeks=Dave
Lianhuan= John

You guys studied from the same Baguazhang teacher, you should be brothers of the same system and not in-fighting. Get over it, bury the hatchet, and stay out of each others way for a while. it might be the teachers fault for allowing drama to get this far and not let everyone else know who is teaching in the same system. You ought to Collaborate on projects to classify and preserve your teachers system of Bagua similar to what other teachers are doing. If you cant collaborate, at least compromise. my early Bagua teachers were huge on wisdom, respect, sincerity, benevolence, and most importantly Brotherhood.

I'm going to have to go with baguakicksass and turn towards compassion. I been angry at someone from the same lineage who doesn't want to meet for push hands, and so I'm dropping the negative energy from my consciousness TODAY.

" Compassion can help us overcome disturbances and let us return to a calm state of mind. Compassion is not just being kind to your friend. That involves attachment because it is based on expectation. Compassion is when you do something... good without any expectations – based on realizing that “the other person is also just like me”.-Dalai Lama
neijia_boxer

Postby bailewen on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:22 am

My read on that episodes is that "brothers" isn't exactly the right word.

One of them was there for like a decade or something and was sent of with his teachers blessing to start teaching.

The other kind of passed through for a short spell and all the long timers kind of breathed a sigh of relief when he moved on.

Just my read on the thing.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:24 am

I thought this thread was about people's own experiences, not those of others... In which case I thought Omar might have had something to say... or maybe not. ;D :-X

But in case I was wrong... I was an eyewitness to the infamous Sigman-Miller debacle (complete with Uncle Bill's presence), that was pretty bad no matter how you look at it -- except that Mr. De Thouars ended up being a real gentleman and a very nice guy, in the end... 8-)

But my most favorite of all time would have to be the Yellow Bamboo folks vs. a couple of MMA guys from Australia (or it may have been from New Zealand, don't remember now...) I remember following the entire development of it online, it started when someone posted one of YB's demo videos on RMA, something along these lines:

and everybody, for some strange reason, started making fun of them and calling them frauds... :) So one of the YB guys comes on the forum and politely invites anyone to come and see the tremendous effectiveness of YB powerz for themselves. All one was required to do to "win" the challenge was to simply be able to run up to the guy and touch them/make physical contact. Wasn't really about "fighting" per se... So these two guys (a teacher and his student IIRC) were the closest ones geographically, and so they went there and then posted this clip, showing how it went down (plus some other written details, about how those guys attempted to "prepare"/pre-brainwash them prior to the test, so that it would work on them):

Sanity - 1, Chi Balls - 0

AND, nobody got hurt... (Other than maybe their feelings...) Gotta love it. 8-)
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:29 am

A "challenge" can also take many shapes.

I´ve heard of one system that had a system for it to avoid bloodshed: blocking - the one who can take the most power wins. If you are not happy with that, blocking with shins. Not happy with that, a strike to the abdomen. Not happy with any of that - fighting.

I like the "catch if you can" idea.

Another is of course also Wang Xiangzhai´s version he tells of in one of his books. Don´t know if it was objectively reported, but sounded like it. A guy wanted to fight him and when they shook hands the day before, the other master "stumbles" and Wang catches him. Only they knew what had happened, but after, the other master praised not only Wang´s skill, but his good manners and compassion.

These days, it seems that prerequisite materials are videocamera, release papers and shouting skills...

D.

Daniel
Great Old One

Postby BaguaKicksAss on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:39 am

neijia_boxer wrote:
So...
Meeks=Dave
Lianhuan= John

You guys studied from the same Baguazhang teacher, you should be brothers of the same system and not in-fighting. Get over it, bury the hatchet, and stay out of each others way for a while. it might be the teachers fault for allowing drama to get this far and not let everyone else know who is teaching in the same system. You ought to Collaborate on projects to classify and preserve your teachers system of Bagua similar to what other teachers are doing. If you cant collaborate, at least compromise. my early Bagua teachers were huge on wisdom, respect, sincerity, benevolence, and most importantly Brotherhood.

I'm going to have to go with baguakicksass and turn towards compassion. I been angry at someone from the same lineage who doesn't want to meet for push hands, and so I'm dropping the negative energy from my consciousness TODAY.

" Compassion can help us overcome disturbances and let us return to a calm state of mind. Compassion is not just being kind to your friend. That involves attachment because it is based on expectation. Compassion is when you do something... good without any expectations – based on realizing that “the other person is also just like me”.-Dalai Lama

*like*
Are you the only unbiased person on this forum? ;)

BKA
BaguaKicksAss
Wuji

Postby BaguaKicksAss on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:41 am

cloudz wrote:challenge match!! ;D

BKA,
please.. no more...can't take much more...i feel weak...herbal tea....nooooo...fdjnjevkn

Is this another all you can eat sushi challenge? Awesome! :) I'll have you know I was eating sushi while you were still in diapers grasshopper! ;D It's on!

What, you are saying Vancouver is a little far?

BKA
BaguaKicksAss
Wuji

Postby BaguaKicksAss on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:42 am

Daniel wrote:
BaguaKicksAss wrote:I'm going to start pasting quotes from my Facebook friend the Dalai Lama here soon.

BKA

Wow, you´re Friends with the Dalai Lama... ;) ...can you persuade him to join RSF? Is that possible? Or maybe he´s already here, under a handle?..

D.

Yeah, him and I are really close, just like my 1000 other facebook friends ;).

Sorry, he said we have to meet him halfway on the campassion bit at least first... LOL (this is a joke, I don't know him)

BKA
BaguaKicksAss
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:43 am

OK! I'm in but Wasabi must be used in abundance ;)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Rabbit on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:33 am

CG: The Gracie challenge started with my father Carlos Gracie in the early 1920's. When my father first started teaching Jiu-Jitsu, people questioned his ability as a fighter because he was small and not very muscular. There were fighters from other styles, such as Greco-Roman wrestlers, who looked much more powerful. My father fought with these other stylists to prove the superiority of his style of Jiu-Jitsu. He was so successful as a fighter that he began to have trouble finding opponents; no one wanted to lose. That's where the challenge came in. Eventually, my father put an advertisement in a newspaper that went something like this: "If you want to get your face beaten and well-smashed, and if you want broken arms, look for me at this address." ...an open challenge to all fighters and tough guys to test our system of fighting.
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:45 am

Dmitri wrote:I was an eyewitness to the infamous Sigman-Miller debacle (complete with Uncle Bill's presence), that was pretty bad no matter how you look at it -- except that Mr. De Thouars ended up being a real gentleman and a very nice guy, in the end... 8-)

I've read multiple conflicting accounts of this-- as the official RSF representative at the scene, clearly you are the only one qualified to make an objective assessment. What happened? My sense was there was some blustering then Mike pushed Don around a little bit. Is that about it?
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That