Interweb Challenges!

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Interweb Challenges!

Postby Dmitri on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:41 am

I got into some email exchange with a very well-known "tai-chi-is-for-fighting" guy (I won't name any names here), he was quite obnoxious online... I replied in-tone to one of his tirades and he considered that "a challenge". ::) In a private email exchange that followed he offered to buy me a ticket to fly to where he lived -- ya know, to face the music. (I'm pretty sure that was a puff of hot air, plus he was not exactly known for being in a good place financially, back then.) I told him I had much better ways to spend my time, and that if he's so interested in seeing me, he could easily spend that very money to buy himself a ticket and fly over here -- I'm extremely easy to find, and our little push-hands group was going every Sunday back then... all one would need to do was show up there at the park.

Naturally, as with 99.9% of those things, nothing ever happened. We've maintained a reasonable level of online neutrality since then. (I never "challenged" him in the first place, anyway...)

That was about 10 or so years ago. Don't think I ever had any other "incidents" of this sort -- and I know I never will.

Those "online challenges" are, IMO, one of the most idiotic ways to show the world that your ego is out of your control.

P.S. A whiff of the good ole' times... the immortal RMA's "online challenge guide" :)
http://kuntaosilat.com/deathmatch.htm
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby BaguaKicksAss on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:58 am

You can be anyone you want to be online since most people don't know you personally. So those who are really insecure feel it's the only way to have someone fear or respect them (in their minds only).

I received a death threat once from someone who lives at least 1000 miles from me. I sometimes disagree with people, I guess that bothers some folks.

BKA
BaguaKicksAss
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:34 am

I'd be curious to know what Erle was teaching pre-Dillman as his entire "fighting method" - "First you poke him on this pressure piont with this hand. Then you pull his hair with this hand. Then you slap him on that pressure point with this hand" - seems to be incredibly convoluted. Off the top of my head, I don't think I have ever seen a more unlikely looking way of fighting.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Iskendar on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:55 am

shawnsegler wrote:He's a jackass who can't keep his aura of superiority unless he's preaching to peeps who don't know anything.

Oh, and he's got 0 percent social skills.

All around not worth spending any time on.

FWIW :)

QED ;D
I.
Iskendar
Wuji

Postby meeks on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:52 am

Apparently I attended a fight that I was never aware of - according to my own personal Yak we got into it 1 time and he sent me packing. the way he wrote it on RSF it sounds like he handed my ass to me in a hand2hand situation, although none of the other students there ever recall anything of the sort happening. There was an incident where he had one of his mood swings and yelled at me from across the park after our shifu told him to leave (they had gotten into an argument) but that was the nearest we had to anything real going on. Apparently he's started teaching bagua now that my shifu has moved back to China which is the equivalent of being taught by a yellow belt simply because he remembers a couple of forms - actually had been retaught them by other students quite recently because he had not practised bagua in so many years.
Funny in one way, sad in another since there is a student of his on this forum as we speak.

On the flip side, I don't remember the guy's name, but there used to be a member on RSF back when it was called EF.com that took a few of my comments too personal and told me 'fuck you' on a few occasions (to which i said get in line...). We met each other at a San Fransisco EF brothers with beers event (met Nianfong and Cerebus there too) and he was actually a really cool guy in person who I was glad to have met.
Last edited by meeks on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby liokault on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:21 pm

I have had ton's of interweb challenges over the years, hell, I have had one on here just in the few months and not many posts since I joined.
I also had one from one of Middleways students over on MAP after I pointed out how crap he was ;D . The one thing they all have in common is that they never come to anything. Even Middleways student (I forget his name) failed to show after many threatening posts and PM's, even after we established that he spent all week at the same collage as we rent a room from for training, so location need not be a factor.

The best interweb challenge I had was from Sami "the Hun" Berics brother, who tends to do lots of promotion for Sami. I was watching Sami (who I know a bit and have always liked after fighting on the same san shou circuit for a while) on youtube being grounded and very pounded by some guy, then for some odd reason the film disapeared just a few days latter. Sami's brother pops up on MAP with some promotional reel of a recent fight and I asked him where the film of the defeat went.

He goes mad, and challenges me to a duel(!) and tells me that if I'm "man" enough he could get the fight on to a Cage Rage (UK MMA promotion) and possibly on TV! I'm thinking great, I have always wanted to try giving and this guy is giving me a great way in. Of course, as soon as my teacher started sending email's that sound like we are up for it the guy just fades away.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Ha, I remember that thing with Sam over on MAP.. he occasionally posts here as s roberts, he's a nice guy in person.. I remember the thing with Samis brother too, he acted like such a jerk off..

I'm feeling a bit left out, despite my best efforts I've never really had a proper internet challenge, there's was that dude on MAP "wailiquan", but it hardly even got going and we were fine after a day or too. bummer, what am i doing wrong!
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:09 pm

lol i used to practice shaolin do (still practice the parts of it i found of value) this made me a target for many online challenges. lol no takers though. i met with a few, all nice in person and wanted nothing to do with fighting me when they met me. maybe its because i am a nice guy or maybe it is because i am a 280lbs 6'2" guy.... dont know. but i really find it funny when people type things on the internet they would never say to you in person and when you do meet them they back pedal and try to retract or revise their statements.

brian what ever his name is yak guy that stole the old name this forum was called he was maybe the worst shit talker to me ever and he challenged me on several occasions to fight him (with what ever level of force i wanted) he was a total dick to me!
i do not hold a grudge though i find his situation very sad and pathetic actually.

oh yeah how can i forget the green dragon guy. he would never meet me when i was in his area but constantly challenged and insulted me.
one of the times he was talking all of his shit about how bad he would and could beat me up i was on our tour bus rolling down the highway (while surfing the net) i said i have time right now to pull over in your city and let you have a go but he came up with excuses about how he could not do it. another online coward.

there have been many more too...
bruce
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:26 pm

I can't remember if I've ever had any online challenges. Have I ever challenged any of you? Filepie? Graham? Dmitri?

But I throw down an online challenge to anyone of you right now: I challenge you to come eat sushi with me. Heck, I'll even buy you a beer or some sake or whatever. Are you man enough*? ARE YOU SCARE?

*or woman. Wouldn't mind having a bite with BKA, Gretel, Snow, Interloper or any of the other lovely ladies of this board
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:03 pm

Word to the wise: Stay away from Snow. She's got a tough boyfriend....
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby BaguaKicksAss on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:17 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:I can't remember if I've ever had any online challenges. Have I ever challenged any of you? Filepie? Graham? Dmitri?

But I throw down an online challenge to anyone of you right now: I challenge you to come eat sushi with me. Heck, I'll even buy you a beer or some sake or whatever. Are you man enough*? ARE YOU SCARE?

*or woman. Wouldn't mind having a bite with BKA, Gretel, Snow, Interloper or any of the other lovely ladies of this board

Sure, next time you are in Vancouver send me a message ;). Hey it's too cold in... I think it said Montreal? I challenge you to who can down the most sushi at the all you can eat place! Yeah that's right, you better be scared!

BKA
BaguaKicksAss
Wuji

Postby BaguaKicksAss on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:38 pm

meeks wrote:Apparently I attended a fight that I was never aware of - according to my own personal Yak we got into it 1 time and he sent me packing. the way he wrote it on RSF it sounds like he handed my ass to me in a hand2hand situation, although none of the other students there ever recall anything of the sort happening. There was an incident where he had one of his mood swings and yelled at me from across the park after our shifu told him to leave (they had gotten into an argument) but that was the nearest we had to anything real going on. Apparently he's started teaching bagua now that my shifu has moved back to China which is the equivalent of being taught by a yellow belt simply because he remembers a couple of forms - actually had been retaught them by other students quite recently because he had not practised bagua in so many years.
Funny in one way, sad in another since there is a student of his on this forum as we speak.

On the flip side, I don't remember the guy's name, but there used to be a member on RSF back when it was called EF.com that took a few of my comments too personal and told me 'fuck you' on a few occasions (to which i said get in line...). We met each other at a San Fransisco EF brothers with beers event (met Nianfong and Cerebus there too) and he was actually a really cool guy in person who I was glad to have met.

I heard about it only being a verbal exchange. Also the amount of training mentioned by each party seems to have a discrepancy of about 10 years (I read the old posts one day I was bored). Anyways, I do not wish this to go into some long online debate. I will just pm you. I was sort of hoping things had calmed down a lot. <-- idealist :P.

BKA
BaguaKicksAss
Wuji

Postby Walter Joyce on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Bhassler wrote:Word to the wise: Stay away from Snow. She's got a tough boyfriend....

LOL True dat.
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:05 pm

BKA: ok, its on. I can eat a lot of raw fish.... fuck... just got the euphemism... arrrggghhhh!!!!!!!! sorry about that :-[
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:07 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:BKA: ok, its on. I can eat a lot of raw fish.... fuck... just got the euphemism... arrrggghhhh!!!!!!!! sorry about that :-[

You say you're sorry-- yet you still posted it. Yeah, that's right, I quoted it, so you can't even edit it away, now! Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!!!!
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That