So many Grandmasters appear!

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: So many Grandmasters appear!

Postby klonk on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:47 pm

c_xlong:

I think America's tendency toward skepticism is managing to sort out this kind of thing, slowly but surely. I speak of the general run of people. There are always those who want to be deceived. You can do nothing for them, in martial arts or any other area.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Scott P. Phillips on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Chinese martial arts are the best at training people not to fight. That's because historically they were rooted in a system of social power and negotiable alliances which gave priority to harmony, not breeding champions. Being a grandmaster means you are good and managing challenges to your skill or your high status.
Scott P. Phillips

Postby kshurika on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Chinese martial arts are the best at training people not to fight. That's because historically they were rooted in a system of social power and negotiable alliances which gave priority to harmony, not breeding champions. Being a grandmaster means you are good and managing challenges to your skill or your high status.

Wow. I don't think I understood a word of that!
kshurika
Wuji

Postby klonk on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:16 pm

I think he deserves a dashi rank for effort. Only, I don't know how he would advertise.
Kung Fu Fighting Not Taught Here!
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:50 am

Scott,
managing challenges - means kill them first, negotiation latter
this way you rooted in a system of social power and getting base for negotiable alliances...
havens like earth
only bigger :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby dragonprawn on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 am

Say what you will about the appropriateness of the titles Master and Grandmaster but stop saying that this is an American phenomenon.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 am

If you have a group of good friends all your life. Oneday, one of your friend feels that he deserves to be called "Grandmaster". That's the day that you lost that lifetime friend forever. Very sad indeed.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 pm

It is not just an American phenomenon it is however very much a western thing. In my 20 years travelling to China no one out there calls them self Grand Master Grand PooBah what ever
WongYing
Huajing

Postby klonk on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12 pm

Perhaps we can defuse this unhappy situation by a bit of linguistic sneakiness. If we call everyone grandmaster, the title will lose its specialness.

Then, I suppose, those wishing to especially distinguish themselves will have to call themselves super duper grandmasters +3, eventually leading to a situation that is plainly ridiculous to everyone.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:25 pm

dragonprawn wrote:Say what you will about the appropriateness of the titles Master and Grandmaster but stop saying that this is an American phenomenon.

大師 Dashi: great/eldest/grand/major teacher

主 Zhu: Master/Lord

Yes, using Master for martial artists is a Western phenomenon. And John Wang's last contribution are wise words...
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 pm

klonk wrote:Perhaps we can defuse this unhappy situation by a bit of linguistic sneakiness. If we call everyone grandmaster, the title will lose its specialness.

Good idea, Grandmaster Klonk. ;D
fuga
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Part of the problem here is "master" in English is a big floppy bag of a word, containing numerous definitions.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/master
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/master

It can mean teacher, or expert, or slave owner, or sea captain, or venerated leader, or other things. A fencing teacher is often a "fencing master" and this is an instance of "master" meaning "teacher." (I suppose it could also mean a craftsman in a fence building guild, if there were such a guild.)

When a word has a big nimbus of meanings surrounding it, as "master" does, you have to be careful which meaning you mean.
Last edited by klonk on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:13 pm

hmmm.... to BTDT or not to BTDT... that is the question... taking input.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby klonk on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:17 pm

fuga wrote:
klonk wrote:Perhaps we can defuse this unhappy situation by a bit of linguistic sneakiness. If we call everyone grandmaster, the title will lose its specialness.

Good idea, Grandmaster Klonk. ;D

Thank you, Great Grandmaster +3 Fuga. :D
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:23 pm

nianfong wrote:hmmm.... to BTDT or not to BTDT... that is the question... taking input.

Well, we have been over this ground before, and more than once.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10355&start=0&st=0
http://www.rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic. ... 11109&st=0

On the other hand, it may be good to bring this matter to light now and then. It is an area where misunderstandings occur, sometimes to the harm of the gullible.

I dunno. It's your call, Grandmaster Fong. ;)
klonk
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That