Tai Chi Chih?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Tai Chi Chih?

Postby Tiebian on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:43 am

Tom wrote:I've got video somewhere of Chen Yu practicing Tai Chi Chih . . . I'll post it if I find it.
;D

If you have his grand ultimate eating video, you are still incomplete unless you have the grand ultimate drinking curriculum, which he (unfortunately for me) taught me personally.
Tiebian

Postby nianfong on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:21 pm

would that be Taiji Daoyin? grand ultimate pouring and drinking? ;D
nianfong
Administrator

Postby yeniseri on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Tai Chi Chih is not a bad concept! There are some basic and intermediate exercise similar to Tai chi Chih that are used as a type of routine before doing actual taolu. I do not know their origin but they are basic repetitions of certain postures done repeatedly over a period of time. The creator of Tai Chi Chih probably just was exposed to them and thought they are easier so why not do a 'simple' routine for older citizenry!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks! My dad seems to like it so far. He participated in 1 or 2 classes.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:53 am

Tai Chi Chih is essentially a simpified modification of so-called Tai-Chi Ruler exercises (太極尺) by Justin Stone, but performed without holding the 'Ruler' between the hands.

"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks Doc. From the comments here, I understand that it must be a fairly good exercise.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 am

It was a legit system of Qigong originated by a Chinese teacher who people claimed lived to 120 years old[doubtful] There was a book in English and one in Chinese[had copy -couldnt find it]. Learnt it from a guy in Chinatown in the 70's. Justin Stone, as Doc said produced a book on it, also a doctor who also made a 12 in stick with magnets on the ends to stimulate the Lao Gong. Fairly low impact, consists of stepping while holding a foot long stick[ruler] between palms, performing circles with arms[using body]
KEND
Great Old One

Postby charles on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:47 pm

The "Tai Chi Chih" or Tai Chi ruler is an old practice that has, so the story goes, been passed down through two paths, one Daoist monks, the other the Emperor/royalty. Despite the name, it is not a traditional part of Taijiquan practice.

In more recent years, Feng Zhiqiang has formalized a set of exercises that include ruler exercises he learned from Hu Yaozhen with the bang exercises he learned from Chen Fake. That set is called "Special Taoist Stick and Ruler Qigong". The bang exercises are very good, particularly if practiced not as qigong. I find some of the ruler exercises are very good and are qigong/neigong if practiced correctly, rather than just waving one's arms around while shifting weight back and forth, as they are usually seen and taught. As they are often taught and practiced, there is little distinction between the two types of exercises, which leads to confusion and suggests to many that the bang and chih are the same thing. If practiced as qigong, I think they have a lot to offer particularly older practitioners.

As for what the organization "Tai Chi Chih" is doing, can't tell you much.
Last edited by charles on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:11 am

Thank you both for the info!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Been There Done That