What styles of taijiquan have you studied?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

What styles of taijiquan have you studied?

Postby edededed on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 pm

All this taiji-talk is getting me excited... about learning taijiquan! ;D Lots of it seems interesting, but what should I get into?

1. Wu style - attractive in that it seems to have preserved a lot of material, but the movements have a bit of a characteristic "roboticness" to them (even the great Ma Yueliang).
2. Yang style - from the guy who made taiji famous in the first place, but infested with too many low-level teachers who just learned form. Also, too much controversy with who has "the true old Yang style" (everyone's seems to look different).
3. Chen style - the most athletic-looking one, but something about it always looked a bit strange to me...
4. Wu/Hao style - the rarest of them all, a very "internal," small-framed one that seems very interesting.
5. Sun style - a variation on Wu/Hao that emphasizes opening/closing, from the famous Sun Lutang (as such, it often comes with baguazhang and xingyiquan in a sort of set deal :D ).
6. Zhaobao style - a "new" style that has popped out that seems to be very soft, large-framed, and flexible (with the famous "low kao" technique representative of this).
7. Huleijia style - an interesting Chen variant/relative that seems to have a very detailed system of 10+ levels.
8. Zheng style - the popular style from Zheng Manqing, very soft and known for its "meirenshou" (beauty hand).
9. Chen Panling style - a style mostly confined to Taiwan, from the famous Chen Panling, a blend of Wu, Yang, and Chen.

Unfortunately, I have had the opportunity to learn only the following:

1. 24 step simplified taijiquan
2. A bit of Yang style (but not a great source)
3. A bit of what seemed to be Zheng style (a loooong time ago, my first taiji experience)

I guess a lot of you have tried more than one style of taiji - how did they compare, and what did you like best? :)
Last edited by edededed on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
edededed
Great Old One

Re: What styles of taijiquan have you learned?

Postby qiphlow on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:58 pm

i've been plugging away at yang chen fu's taiji for about 10 years now (ours is very close to dong ying jie's variant). not a fan of cheng man ching's stuff, but ben lo seems to have made it work for himself.
personally, i think yang will be easiest to get the choreography and you can dig in to the details as you go. if i had the time and money available, i'd like to study some chen style.
since you've got a bit of yang style under your belt, why not dig a bit deeper into that and see if you like what you find?
Last edited by qiphlow on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:16 pm

Dong Hai Chuan's variant of Yang Cheng Fu Tai Chi??? You're gonna hafta talk to me more about that in person...

PS: I like the Cheng (Zheng) Man Ching version of Yang Tai Chi myself. And also the Chang (Dung Sheng) Tai Chi, both of which are basically Yng Tai Chi, though VERY different in their own ways...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Yeah, what do you mean, Dong Haichuan's variant? :D I'd like to hear more about that...

As for my own Yang style, I have already completely forgotten it all ;D The 24 step in particular I learned separately at least 3 times under 3 different teachers (one in America, China, and then Japan each) (and forgot it 3 times subsequently)... I guess I vaguely remember certain movements, though (lanquewei, louxiaobu, banlanchui, etc.).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Qiphlow:

I found a trail to your teacher's site :) that has a very interesting list of Yang style forms! In particular:

Yang Small Circle Fast Form 楊式太極小架快拳
Yin-Yang Five Elements Palm Form 隂陽五行掌
Traditional Yang Tai Chi Chang Chuan Form 傳统楊式太極長拳
Tai Chi 13 Chi-Kung Stances 太極十三氣功樁

Some of these things have correlates in the aforementioned Shanghai Wu style (the fast form and the five elements form), at least in name. (The longfist form seems to have correlates in Chen style.) If you are familiar with these forms, have you seen similarities with what is on YouTube of Wu style?

I also wonder what the Five Elements Palm form is about...

Anyway, sounds like some interesting material, wonder what it is all about...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Forrest Gump Tai chi is the only one I know.....

;D
Last edited by Chanchu on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby chud on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:39 pm

edededed wrote: Lots of it seems interesting, but what should I get into?

Ahh, if I had a nickel for every time that question was floated on this forum. ;D Seriously though, the answer as usual is check out the teachers in your area and go with the one who fits you best.
Taiji is great, it'll change your life. :)
chud
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:59 am

I really want to learn Chang 108 form from my teacher. Other than Yang and Chang I really want to learn Sun style.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:35 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9rkhcv-xzc

learned and practiced some materials from Du Yu Zhe in college.

theory parts;

I like Ma Hong books on Chen Fa Ke-> Chen Zhao Kui-> Ma hong notes. (like bibles for old and new frames)

I like Wang Xi An books and notes on Chen Tai Chi Lao Jia. (including saying and songs about requirements and apps of lao jia)

I also like Wang Pei Sheng books on Wu Tai Chi. (Wang used a more common lingo to explain hard to understand principles and theories)

--

agreed that whatever is available to you and start there.

;D ;) :)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby Frank Bellemare on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:38 am

Regardless of whether your teacher is knowledgeable, learning taiji can be always be fun, you just won't get the full benefits of the practice if you get a lousy teacher. I started out with a teacher who knew little about taiji, but I still had fun learning the movements and making them round and smooth while breathing slowly and relaxing. Then I found out what I was doing was crap, but it was still fun, relaxing crap.

Style-wise, I've studied Yang style for a few years and moved on to Chen style last year and I must say that Yang Cheng Fu-type Yang style still feels the most natural to me. That being said, I like the intricacy of Chen style (xinjia), the harder physical work required and the fact that the classes are more "martially-minded" than Yang style classes and attract a more energetic kind of crowd. Eventually, you get used to the weird postures. ;)
Frank Bellemare
Anjing

Postby fisherman on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:56 am

I recently picked up the first 4 sections of the Chen Pan Ling, and I really dig it. I have only had about three weeks to work with it at this point, but I really like how it feels - the circles flow quite well.
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:14 am

Ed, I'll be back in a week. We can talk then. As you know, I have some pretty strong feelings on this. In all honesty, before you get into any taiji, I think it's best you simply do stance work for some time. We can go over that as well.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:08 pm

dont think about style, think about the teacher.

if you want a REALLY good meal, dont ask what style of food is best, ask where the best chef in town is.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Ian on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:13 pm

you forgot vasiliev/ryabko style taichi ;D
Ian

Postby qiphlow on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:31 pm

qiphlow wrote:i've been plugging away at yang chen fu's taiji for about 10 years now (ours is very close to dong hai chuan's variant). not a fan of cheng man ching's stuff, but ben lo seems to have made it work for himself.
personally, i think yang will be easiest to get the choreography and you can dig in to the details as you go. if i had the time and money available, i'd like to study some chen style.
since you've got a bit of yang style under your belt, why not dig a bit deeper into that and see if you like what you find?

OOOPS!!!! i just realized i fucked up...

i meant to say dong ying jie (tung ying chieh). my apologies for any confusion or offense! :-[
original post edited...

must've had bagua on the brain...
Last edited by qiphlow on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Next

Return to Been There Done That