What styles of taijiquan have you studied?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: What styles of taijiquan have you studied?

Postby ShibbalSekki on Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:08 pm

Bär wrote:And these are styles of taijiquan how, mr. bullshido troll?

In some weird indirect way i am told that every thing comes from CMA therefore Taijiquan is the heng dai brother of TKD and BJJ. and im not a troll. im to sexy to troll.
ShibbalSekki
Santi

Postby Michael on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:31 pm

"Taijiquan is the heng dai brother of TKD and BJJ."

Almost signature worthy! :)

Here's a better one: "Bodhidarma, Zhang San Feng, and Helio Gracie all came to Song Shan in Henan on the same day during the Tang Dynasty and believed it to be the best place to build a new temple. Bodhidarma put a tree branch in the ground to claim the land. Zhang San Feng hung his hat on the tree branch to mark his claim. Helio Gracie buried his Gracie Jiujitsu black belt under the tree branch to claim the land. To settle the dispute, the 8 Taoist Immortals..."
Michael

Postby klonk on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Wait...when do we get to the part where the Koreans invented it all in the first place? :)
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Yang and Beijing 24
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:22 pm

Bao, having formally studied art, in the west and using western methodologies I have to disagree with your statement that western painters just start painting and keep doing so until they get better. All technical lessons apply to west as to east. Stroke must be learned, drawing is generally taught first and how to hold a pencil, how to move the pencil, how to keep the tip sharp, what is light, what is shade, what is color, color theory, perspective, weight, and sundry other theoretical and applied aspects come into play before you even begin study #1.

What is most important, and this is what I have been taught by all my art teachers, is in a single word "observation".

If you cannot see something for what it is, you cannot properly render it. This is true for all artists of all disciplines.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:26 am

I Studied Yang She Taijiquan under a disciple of Yang Zhen Duo for 5 years. Main area of study was the family form, Tou Shou and Da lu. Then as most, I out grew the teacher. Moved on to a linage holder of Chen Wei Ming whom I learned a small circle short fast form and San shou for another 5 years For two years a studied a 48 combination form from an instructor outside Calgary, Canada. I've dabble in Wu She Taijiquan from a prominent linage holder of the Toronto branch. For the last five years, I've been on my own so to speak. ( I teach and its martially focused so I don't get that much interest, most want to dance and play.) The main focus of my studies has been to always seek out the wu (martial) within before all else. I have and often will work out with a lot of people of different styles (to further my experience and gain in skill) From IsshinRyu karatka (very big here where I live) to Judoka. Recently, I was at a prominent Mui Thai club for about three months. ( that was an experience! Great bunch of people there..lot of Shen! I.e. spirit..

My beliefs on Taijiquan (Yang in particular) are no different than Bagua and Xingyi practitioners. What's is in one, is also in the others. It may be done a little different but it is still there.

My biggest pet peeve is people telling me what Taijiquan is.... or is NOT?
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:34 am

Hey Ba-men, did you study at Eddie Wu's in Toronto (Thats the main big branch of wu style I can think of out that way)?
Do you live in TO? If so, want to meet up and spar?
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:32 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Hey Ba-men, did you study at Eddie Wu's in Toronto (Thats the main big branch of wu style I can think of out that way)?
Do you live in TO? If so, want to meet up and spar?

Bummer! I'm living in Michigan currently. I studied Wu ah...I should say, I pushed with them for a time. Sifu Britt was leading the class, cool branch and cool people!) I wonder what he's up to?
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:52 pm

I never knew Sifu Britt.
I did privates with Doug Collins a bit. He's a great guy and I really respect him a lot. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:51 am

mixjourneyman wrote:I never knew Sifu Britt.
I did privates with Doug Collins a bit. He's a great guy and I really respect him a lot. :)

Somewhere in the linage Wu linage Sifu Britt sits... Wu style is great stuff!

I have often come to this site to read only. During the holidays, having some spare time, I decided to post a few. I like the fact that the moderators warned me that they don't tolerate the Bullshido mentality. So, I'll be hanging here for a while. A couple times a year I go up Toronto, when I do, I let you know (do a little pushing and drink a few pints and all that..) :)
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:15 am

Great, let me know.
There are several other ef'ers in Toronto who like to push. We could probably get a few folks together, push, and go out for sushi or something.
:D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:00 am

This could happen at my place if interested parties would like to do this.

No more than 7 or 8 peeps though because after that, the kwoon is a bit crowded.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:53 pm

also, bring reactine if you are allergic to cats or dogs. :)
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:55 pm

Darth, that would be way cool.
Lets wait till spring, I think thats when Boxen gets back and maybe Taijitaijiquan too, though I'm not sure. I'll ask those guys.
:)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:10 pm

Sounds cool... I'd be up to it. Just let me know...New friends to push with is always a plus! And Toronto is a cool place to visit.
Ba-men
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That