What is IMA sparring supposed to look like?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

What is IMA sparring supposed to look like?

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:23 pm

I was just reading another thread and imagining challenging Chen Xiaowang to a fight. However, I like striking, and wrestling with a Chen master might not be a great idea. So my strategy would be to punch him in the face. Now regardless of outcome, what would you expect to see in the exchange so you wouldn't just call the striking external?

I know this might be BTDT but I am honestly curious what others think since I am not certain of my own answer.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Re: What is IMA sparring supposed to look like?

Postby cerebus on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 pm

If you are punching, you should be completely relaxed and the strike should be rooted in the feet, transferred by the legs, powered by the hips and finally expressed through the hand. Will that be visually obvious to the observers? Maybe, maybe not. But it should be FELT by the person delivering the blow. Ideally the person receiving the blow would feel nothing... except a bad headache when they wake up after the fight is over...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:03 pm

If Chen is a master, I would expect for your strike to land on thin air, leaving you off balance and vulnerable to his choice of counter. For your strike to not be seen as merely an external attempt to hit, you will not be off balance and his choice of counter will find you able to easily step into your own response.
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:36 pm

So far, I don't see anything that separates internal from external. Any good "external" practitioner will achieve the same things listed above.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Really not the what was asked though, What would you,Ian, expect to see so youwouldn't just call it external
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Fair enough. The real trick is: I don't think you can see it. Perhaps you can see something that is clearly not internal, but I think you need to feel something to know if it is really internal. I would also like to point out that I am using internal to mean something along the lines of what Interloper would define it as. That is not how I was originally taught to think of internal, but that is another topic all together.

Watching sparring is a whole other can of worms for many reasons. It will almost never show true ability, unless the heat is turned up to high.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Internal fighting looks like fighting, if you know internal you can see internal, it's different than throwing hands.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Walk the Torque on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:42 pm

I think the mindsets of various arts would influence the look of a sparring session.

I think Hsing Yi would look quite different to Tai Chi for that reason alone.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:02 pm

lt'd really depend on the style and how the individual choses to move. You can get a reasonable idea by comparing sam chin with the xinyidao guys with ark.
Ian

Postby johnwang on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Walk the Torque wrote:I think Hsing Yi would look quite different to Tai Chi for that reason alone.

One XingYi master said, "If I can't knock you down by my 1st Beng Chuan, and I need to use my 2nd Beng Chuan to knock you down, you should be proud of yourself".

the XingYi master 薛颠(Xue Dian) once gave a demonstration. He stood on oneside of the bench. Suddently he was on the other side of that bench. Nobody could even tell how did he move under that bench so fast. Some people in the audience had intention to challenge him (Xue had announced that he would accpet all public challenge). They all changed their mind after that demo. How can you fight someone who can move as fast as ghost?

In the ancient time, most of the TCMA masters didn't have to fight. The moment that their arm made contact, one guy will say, "You are late". The other guy then would say, "You are right. I'm late". The fight would stop righ at that moment. When a Chinese said, "You are late", that means "You will lose."
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Fighting looks like..... Fighting. This still appears to be a surprise to many ima students ???

Anyway- based entirely on what I've seen on YouTube, two things can happen if you punch a famous Chinese teacher in the face:

1) they will pretend it's not happening and block with their face until their students dive in and break it up.

2) both people will clinch then fall to the ground in a non-conclusive heap.

;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Cool story. Makes you wonder whether you can get to a high level in cmas without a base level of athleticism. It's a pity that most cma practitioners now are completely incapable of reproducing these feats.
Ian

Postby johnwang on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:04 am

I think old TCMA masters had spent a lot of training time in their footwork and speed training. It's like a monkey pokes on a wasp nests. The monkey will poke a hole in that wasp nests in lighting speed. The monkey then run away with lighting speed. Fighting will need to be that kind of speed with alert.

Sometime we mis-understand the Taiji principle, "If you don't move, I won't move. If you move, I ...". You just don't wait for your opponent to move. You will need to sense that your opponent has "intention" to move. The moment that you can sense his intention, you attack. The key is you will need to have excellent judgement about your opponent's "intention" (how and where he is going to move). You then enter that "leak" that he is going to create but hasn't created it yet. The moment that your body has moved into your opponent, the moment that your opponent will expose his "leak" for you. That's "lighting speed". I believe any good TCMA master should all fight like this.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Tesshu on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:40 am

johnwang wrote:I think old TCMA masters had spent a lot of training time in their footwork and speed training. It's like a monkey pokes on a wasp nests. The monkey will poke a hole in that wasp nests in lighting speed. The monkey then run away with lighting speed. Fighting will need to be that kind of speed with alert.

Sometime we mis-understand the Taiji principle, "If you don't move, I won't move. If you move, I ...". You just don't wait for your opponent to move. You will need to sense that your opponent has "intention" to move. The moment that you can sense his intention, you attack. The key is you will need to have excellent judgement about your opponent's "intention" (how and where he is going to move). You then enter that "leak" that he is going to create but hasn't created it yet. The moment that your body has moved into your opponent, the moment that your opponent will expose his "leak" for you. That's "lighting speed". I believe any good TCMA master should all fight like this.

Thanks! :)
4th law of Newton: To every male action there is a female overreaction.
Tesshu
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:06 am

what jw said.

the opening or opportunity presents itself at the beginning (intend.going to strike) and end (eg end of kick or punch, regardless if doing combo or not). some may say striking at the beginning is better, but i try to use both. those that prefer to strike at the beginning of an opponent's attack have their reason: they want to deny the opponent any sort of momentum. so... something like the stronger the opponent, the fiercer you have to become, if the tiger strikes, you are too late already. cheers
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Next

Return to Been There Done That