Iron Palm Master vs Street Fighter (Good fight)

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Iron Palm Master vs Street Fighter (Good fight)

Postby Andy_S on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:38 am

SNIP
telling that boxing gloves can produce much more devastating strikes than bare knuckle, really is b.s.
SNIP

It is not BS, it is blatantly bloody obvious to anyone who has actually done both TMA and boxing.

TMA, bare knuckle, simply does NOT strike to the face in sparring fora. Those TMA that do use bare knuckle (eg Kyokushin) to the body in sparring fora are generally unable to produce the KO power seen in boxing. This is why Kyokushin tourneys have breaking competitions at the end when they run to a draw. Problem: If you can break stacks of bricks but not bones with your fists, what use are your fists as weapons?

Coiled Spring:

A couple of points. The guy is hardly a "boxer" as he throws kicks but not punches. As for KOing a shooter with a palm strike....yes, maybe. IF he can hit much harder than in your clip (the 'street fighter" takes multiple shots to the back of the neck) and if your timing is superb.

BTW, may I ask how old you are?

Speaking more generally:

I am astonished that there are STILL people on this forum who continually knock sport fighting styles and confidently pronounce their inferiority when it is blatantly obvious (from their comments) that the critics have never, ever sampled these styles themselves.

Why not? I have no idea.

In this day and age, BJJ and boxing are far more accessible than decent CMA.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:44 am

GrahamB wrote:Tai Chi vs MMA:

Definitely real, the attacker is wearing hand wraps!

;D
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:26 pm

xingyijuan wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Tai Chi vs MMA:

Definitely real, the attacker is wearing hand wraps!

;D

I actually liked that video. But it is more Tai Chi and MMA.

It is actually a great example of TCMA and MMA coming together for sharing (even though all the sharing is from the TCMA teacher). Obviously not a fight or even sparring but a framework to show the value of traditional methods to someone who might not be familiar with them.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby beegs on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:48 pm

one guy wildly slapping and the other guy wearing bean bad chairs on his hands.

i give them credit for working hard but to say thats proof for the effectiveness of the arts is actually doing more harm than good
beegs
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:01 pm

I didn't think the iron palm guy was all that effective, I certainly would not call him a master. He was nice and aggressive which is good. He landed more shots, and he made the bigger guy turtle up and the big guys arm was really red when it was over. However he often didn't see better targets when presented, didn't change as necessary to strike opening, and didn't do that much damage. Most of the back of the head strikes were done from behind and over the guys back, which the iron palm guys arm contacted the back first which takes most or all of the power out of the hits. Also at the end it sounded like the iron palm master was breathing heavy and getting tired, he punched himself out. If that had kept going I bet the big guy would have come out on top.

The Taiji AND MMA video was pretty great. I loved the taiji guys attitude, that is some wude right there.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:22 pm

I liked the tai chi and MMA clip too.

For one it shows the MMA guy is not the meathead that some on this forum seek to portray them as and...

... The Tai chi guy from his comments really appreciated the fact that the MMA guy let him do his stuff. I think it would have been very easy for the MMA guy to have taken it up a notch and the tai chi guy knew this and respected the MMA guy for it. Good feeling all round :)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Crosshands on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:09 pm

GrahamB wrote:Let's settle this once and for all - MMA vs Tai Chi! Definite PROOOOOF!

Tai Chi vs MMA:

Those guys were really, really cool.
Crosshands
Mingjing

Postby I-mon on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:55 pm

indeed, I loved that little vid and the tai chi guy's commentary.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 pm

What? We are all agreeing on the beauty of taiji and MMA coming together and we get banned to the pit! ;)
fuga
Great Old One

Postby JonathanArthur on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:55 pm

A little maturity goes a long way. Nice to see people positive attitudes from both sides.

If we want to have frank and insightful discussions about the effective application of what we do in any given arena surely a sincere, positive and open attitude is the only reasonable place to start from. At the end of the day we can all go home and continue doing what we believe is right and appropriate for ourselves.

Happy training!
JonathanArthur

Postby Michael on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:58 pm

jonathan.bluestein wrote:I don't see how the fact that the big guy was inept have implications on the level of skill presented by the Iron Palm fighter. The latter fought well, regardless of the other guy's skill. He also took it easy on him after the first few seconds - could've easily caused serious damage and deliver more strikes, and refrained from doing so. I think he has both skill and Wu De. And one cannot really say anything about a possible boxer or a BJJ opponent 'till we've seen him fight such people.

I agree. It looked to me that the man in white trousers was totally focused, maintained the defensive distance he wanted to keep the boxer away, and used kicks as well as strikes on offense. He also never took his eyes off the larger boxer. The tone of the match to me precludes any finishing moves as it looked like a friendly spar. The body language of the boxer is obvious that he was afraid after being struck and was generally demoralized (see end of first sequence with bloody nose), although we have no way of really knowing the effect of the slaps. There is nothing here to fault the man in white trousers, as far as I can tell.
Michael

Postby Methods on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:06 pm

I would have to agree, the Boxer got the fight knocked out of him!

All you keyboard fighters show your own vids, Ive seen some of your KF and its not impressive so why talk so much shit...
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby Coiled_Spring on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:12 pm

A rare example of effective utilization of traditional martial arts skills goes to BTDT, where as some random video of choreographed "applications" of MA is discussed for 9 Pages. And that too in an IMA forum!!!

I think the mods should be elected on the basis of their proficiency in martial arts.
Coiled_Spring
Huajing

Postby klonk on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 pm

Nothing is proven when friends fight.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:46 am

Tell you what man, stay away of that dang too old curry man, gives you dang gas man, I dang tell you.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That