YOU'RE WELCOME

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: YOU'RE WELCOME

Postby Bhassler on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Michael,

It's fine to blame everything on the ignorant masses, but if a person has contentious interactions over a period of years on every internet forum they post on, then maybe it's time to start looking at what the commonality is.

Personally, I don't need to be told all about my lack of understanding by someone who, based on their persistent misuse of terminology, more likely than not doesn't have the background to understand what it is I'm saying and is too arrogant to bother asking for clarification, or even realize that they don't understand to begin with.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby chud on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Michael wrote: Several of these people have admitted over the years a lack of sensory perception of qi and still go on to tell those of us that do know, that we can't play music because of their deafness.

It's unfortunate you've invested so much time in the internal arts and still can not appreciate one of its essential pieces, but you might consider staying out of threads where you haven't got the ability to appreciate fully what is being discussed, or at least don't try so hard to break up a scene where others are having a good time just to shout about how deaf you are to the music that's being enjoyed.

Truly, you are like deaf men screaming at musicians that music doesn't exist.

Well said Michael.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:21 am

Bhassler wrote:Michael,

It's fine to blame everything on the ignorant masses, but if a person has contentious interactions over a period of years on every internet forum they post on, then maybe it's time to start looking at what the commonality is.

Personally, I don't need to be told all about my lack of understanding by someone who, based on their persistent misuse of terminology, more likely than not doesn't have the background to understand what it is I'm saying and is too arrogant to bother asking for clarification, or even realize that they don't understand to begin with.

In you post to Michael, were you referring to me?
Bodywork

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:14 pm

Bodywork wrote:In you post to Michael, were you referring to me?

Welcome to my world.

People are always talking shit about me but never actually using my name or directly referring to me.

:'(

Just HTFU ;)

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:28 am

Brian, I think you make a *lot* of excellent posts and like almost everyone on RSF (almost LOL), it would probably be fun to meet up with you. Considering you seem to be very much into the healing side of things in addition to the martial arts, there are a lot of things I would love to discuss with you. With respect, I kindly suggest that it's not very helpful for you to get into internal threads. The same for Mo Ling, John Wang, Chris McKinley, kshurika, JAB, Ron Panunto, and several others whose screen names I've forgotten. One or several of you can always be counted on to jump feet first into every thread that brings out your issues, so please stop it. To me, it comes across like vegetarians walking into a BBQ and trying to give people a guilt trip. Just let us have our fun.
Last edited by Michael on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Strange on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:33 am

i also have been wondering why they are posting here, frankly its strange :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 am

Michael wrote:Brian, I think you make a *lot* of excellent posts and like almost everyone on RSF (almost LOL), it would probably be fun to meet up with you. Considering you seem to be very much into the healing side of things in addition to the martial arts, there are a lot of things I would love to discuss with you. With respect, I kindly suggest that it's not very helpful for you to get into internal threads. The same for Mo Ling, John Wang, Chris McKinley, kshurika, JAB, Ron Panunto, and several others whose screen names I've forgotten. One or several of you can always be counted on to jump feet first into every thread that brings out your issues, so please stop it. To me, it comes across like vegetarians walking into a BBQ and trying to give people a guilt trip. Just let us have our fun.

If you just say "I disagree" then there's no problem. As soon as you start projecting a difference in opinion to be indicative of my (or anyone else's) "issues," then you've immediately changed from (semi-) rational discussion to ad hominem, and I may or may not respond in kind, depending on my mood. Thus far, there has been very little personal conflict around the subject matter, just the usual hashing out of trying to get people from diverse backgrounds speaking the same language-- most of the conflict has been around implied or overt attacks bundled in with those opinions.

So the answer to your request is "no." Sorry.

EDIT: Challenging statements about IMA, etc. need not be taken as an attack. I won't speak for anyone else, but when I challenge things I'm looking for clarity-- almost always I'm trying to get people to articulate things better or more clearly. Like a lot of people on this board, I'm actually hoping to get some benefit beyond just wasting time.
Last edited by Bhassler on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Michael wrote:Brian, I think you make a *lot* of excellent posts and like almost everyone on RSF (almost LOL), it would probably be fun to meet up with you. Considering you seem to be very much into the healing side of things in addition to the martial arts, there are a lot of things I would love to discuss with you. With respect, I kindly suggest that it's not very helpful for you to get into internal threads. The same for Mo Ling, John Wang, Chris McKinley, kshurika, JAB, Ron Panunto, and several others whose screen names I've forgotten. One or several of you can always be counted on to jump feet first into every thread that brings out your issues, so please stop it. To me, it comes across like vegetarians walking into a BBQ and trying to give people a guilt trip. Just let us have our fun.

Thank you for the citation Michael. Since I've been practicing the internal Chinese martial arts for over 40 years I don't know what better credentials are required to post on issues related to CIMA, however, if my opinions are not in alignment with yours, please accept my humble apologies.

Ron
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Ron,

This is my perception of posting trends in certain threads and in no way meant to imply general lack of skills or knowledge in martial arts of you or the other people I mentioned.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael

Postby gzregorz on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Michael wrote: To me, it comes across like vegetarians walking into a BBQ and trying to give people a guilt trip. Just let us have our fun.

You pull out the tofu burgers and everything is alright. People are drinking beer, laughing, watching the Super bowl.

Then you accidently put some mayo on their vegi burger and all hell breaks loose because mayo contains eggs! :o
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:39 pm

lmao~
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:22 am

Hehehe. I must have got my point across if I've made Michael's "list". Funny part is, I've got more time in and things done on the wacky chee-hippie side of things, especially with regard to energy medicine, than many of the old timers all rolled up together. As much a pain in the ass as I can be, I've never said there's nothing to any of this. I just like making people actually think about their spouted views and positions and not just parrot back what their teachers have told them. :)
Chris McKinley

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:19 am

Sometimes it seems like yuse guys have a chip on your shoulder or something.
Michael

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:09 am

Me before morning coffee:
Mostly it just makes me disgusted and nauseous to see otherwise rational people leave their brains at the door the moment they start training martial arts and just blindly accepting whatever some schmuck tells them. As to an actual chip, the only one I have is when martial artists claim to teach people the skills to defend themselves but then don't. Unfortunately, that's most martial artists out there, regardless of style. Compared to the safety and security of the people I train, I couldn't give two fucks about anybody's martial tradition, feelings, personal ego issues, beliefs, or any other bullshit, and when it comes to the topic of martial arts, there are no sacred cows. I don't go out of my way to insult anyone arbitrarily, I don't initiate ad hominem attacks, and my critiques always include the rationale (whether correct or not) behind them. I can't say the same for a lot of the posters on this board, to be blunt.

Anyone who's willing to discuss, debate or even argue about a topic with me and who has the maturity to refrain from going ad hominem will find me objective, fair and respectful, even if I am difficult to convince. There are too many examples of exactly that occurrence on this board over the years for anyone to claim they can't get a fair shake with me. Anyone who wants to go ad hominem will either get a verbal boot up their ass, get asked respectfully to return to topical discussion, or get made fun of, depending on my mood....but one thing is certain, once they've gone there, they don't deserve jack shit except what they get. It's weak and cowardly in my book, and while we all have a bad day now and again, anybody who won't eventually simmer down and get back to talking the topics like an adult gets dismissed as pointless, irrelevant backdrop noise.

Me after morning coffee:
Hi guys....hope you're training goes well and you all enjoy your day! :)
Chris McKinley

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 am

Well, fair enough, there's always some back and forth. I don't want to put anyone on the defensive on this BTDT thread, just giving some feedback. Anyway, it gave me an idea for a thread.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That