Really?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Really?

Postby PatrickH on Wed May 02, 2012 8:36 am

"I would ask, then, that you now provide the information that has already been requested of you multiple times, and that has been specifically requested of you in the creation of this very thread, and that you do so without further delay. You may choose not to, of course, but then it would no longer be appropriate for you to offer criticism of anyone's ideas or understanding on this forum from this point forward."

we will ask the questions ; you will answer only the questions that we ask ; you will answer NOW ; otherwise you will not be allowed to speak.

Fascist dick
PatrickH
Santi

Re: Really?

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed May 02, 2012 8:46 am

Oh, no sir....you read me wrong. I would not see anyone prevented from speaking on this forum. That's why I was against the invitation-only suggestion by Dan, and am even against the Distillery being limited such that posters like yourself cannot come in there and call me a "Fascist dick". I even asked the moderators not to ban Dan Harden, so I certainly wouldn't want Interloper to be prevented from speaking. On the contrary, I'm merely pointing out that, as a matter of courtesy, if you're going to criticize other people's stuff, you need to be willing to provide your own ideas as an alternative instead. That's just basic courtesy. If you're not willing to, then you're really no longer justified in continuing to criticize. Now, of course you still can....and I wouldn't want to take away anyone's right to be as discourteous as they want to be. I would just ask, as I did in that very post, that they would choose instead to participate constructively by giving alternatives if they're going to criticize.
Chris McKinley

Postby chud on Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 am

;D @@@
chud
Great Old One

**** is goin on?

Postby Dajenarit on Wed May 02, 2012 11:53 am

saaay wuuh?
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby xxxxx on Wed May 02, 2012 12:02 pm

at the very least: don't start threads like this in the main forum

ideally: take the personal issues to PM and don't start threads like this at all
xxxxx
Global Moderator

Postby nianfong on Wed May 02, 2012 12:23 pm

PatrickH, refuting a point is one thing. calling someone else a "fascist dick" is another. That is called Trolling. Seeing as some of your other posts have been constructive/contributed to discussion, I will give you a warning here. No trolling, or you will be banned.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby qiphlow on Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm

PatrickH wrote:"I would ask, then, that you now provide the information that has already been requested of you multiple times, and that has been specifically requested of you in the creation of this very thread, and that you do so without further delay. You may choose not to, of course, but then it would no longer be appropriate for you to offer criticism of anyone's ideas or understanding on this forum from this point forward."

we will ask the questions ; you will answer only the questions that we ask ; you will answer NOW ; otherwise you will not be allowed to speak.

Fascist dick

how do you know so well the political stance of mckinley's junk, anyway?
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Because it frequently stands to attention and salutes. ;)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby lazyboxer on Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm

And that's that! -break-
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Wed May 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Chris McKinley wrote: I even asked the moderators not to ban Dan Harden

Dan got banned? ???
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed May 02, 2012 7:43 pm

No, I don't believe so.
Chris McKinley

Postby chud on Wed May 02, 2012 9:54 pm

"I would ask, then, that you now provide the information that has already been requested of you multiple times, and that has been specifically requested of you in the creation of this very thread, and that you do so without further delay. You may choose not to, of course, but then it would no longer be appropriate for you to offer criticism of anyone's ideas or understanding on this forum from this point forward."

PatrickH wrote:we will ask the questions ; you will answer only the questions that we ask ; you will answer NOW ; otherwise you will not be allowed to speak.

Fascist dick

I think the point that the OP was making in his post is worth considering.
I know he rattled some cages coming in here with a low post count and making blunt, clear statements, but he brings a valid point: we look like fascist dicks to the outside world (and mods, don't give me that crap about how his language offended you...I've seen much worse language here, and it was no big deal).

This place has gotten ridiculous. There will no doubt be a three paragraph response to my post about all the reasons I am wrong, but the bottom line is that this forum has gone from being a friendly place to post and share experiences, to a place where everybody has to explain themselves if they fall outside the framework of one person's definition of combat-ready martial artist.

PatrickH: I say welcome to you sir, keep on posting, there's plenty of room at the bar.
chud
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed May 02, 2012 11:48 pm

No one needs to explain themselves. Dan was ALMOST banned because he wanted everyone to explain themselves.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby PatrickH on Thu May 03, 2012 10:04 am

I posted on the main forum because I haven't fulfilled the requirement of 500 bloviations to qualify to speak on the
Distillery. Reticence to speak is not neccessarily proportional to experience.

If someone on the mat is inappropriately abusing their authority or seniority (see below), that is being a dick. Hence, dick.
(Noted: Chris M. can call Doc Stier a pussy and that's fine. What's with that?)
The particular words I quoted struck me as somewhat dictatorial, hence fascist. I'm prepared to accept that Chris
didn't mean it quite that way.
So I apologize for the somewhat intemperate name-calling, but not for registering my discontent.

My perception after (a mere) 5 years (mostly) reading here is that it has become less welcoming.
I'm sure that in person Chris M. is a delightful chap, but I perceive him (and I'm not alone) as this self-appointed board bouncer,
ready with a big stick to diminish (if you can't describe it it's worthless ; we already do that ; that's standard CMA)
any contribution that might contradict his animus towards Dan H.

Chris M. said, re. Interloper: "I am the only poster to call for her fair treatment and the only one to give my word that should she make good on her offer, her information will be treated with objective impartiality." You see, I just don't get why that kind of assurance from a single individual on the board should ever be neccessary. Isn't it self-evident?

What's with calling those people who have trained or done seminars with Dan H. a "cadre"?
Chris, you usually seem to choose your words with care; what associations go with that word?
(Imagine if you called them a "cell.") There is no "group." All they have in common is having felt the results of Dan H.'s training, from Dan H.
And they were all very impressed. Whether or not his training has some commonalities with others', that is a fact worth noting.

So, just my perceptions, which may be mistaken, but they're not hallucinations.

Patrick
Last edited by PatrickH on Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatrickH
Santi

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu May 03, 2012 10:56 am

Welcome, Patrick. Personally, if you had a problem with anything of mine, I'd prefer you be able to stick around and hash it out with me anyway, even if it requires a few colorful metaphors along the way. The fact is, I never had a problem with either Doc Stier or Dan Harden until each of them lied about me personally. That's just something I won't accept. I had several respectful and productive discussions with each of them over several years prior to that. I would even be willing to have them again if we could all show the self-discipline to refrain from going ad hominem with anything. I have put my money where my mouth is on that claim by continuing to provide copious amounts of purely on-topic, purely non-ad hominem, and hopefully specifically helpful information on various threads both for many years before as well as in the time since each of those men has been warned by the mods for their inappropriate behavior. Even still, I don't want to see anybody banned. I have asked the mods, in separate requests, not to ban either Doc or Dan. Hell, I wish they'd even bring back liokault, and Lord knows he's not my biggest fan.

The fact is, in each and every case, I have not initiated ad hominem exchange. My policy will not change. If folks want to discuss the actual topic and leave the personal criticism out of it, I'm as game as anybody here. Nobody gets to come on here and criticize us personally, refuse to offer anything specific as a suggested alternative, and then not get called out for it.
Last edited by Chris McKinley on Thu May 03, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris McKinley

Next

Return to Been There Done That