Xinyidao in Seattle, WA

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Xinyidao in Seattle

Postby silatboy on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:05 pm

All the best to you boy.

Cheers
Jake

Wow that was condescending ... 'boy'

Even if my username is silatboy, I am probably old enough to be your father.

Word gets around on the internet.

Teachers remember who says what.

If you think Jim Ingram is good, he probably wont have any patience for a guy like you ....

For that matter, what if I was Jim Ingram, and you wanted to study with me,
there goes your chance.

Traditional teachers are very conservative.

You modern young punks like to shoot off your mouth.
silatboy

Re: Xinyidao in Seattle, WA

Postby silatboy on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:15 pm

Finny wrote:Christ

Jake was invited to comment as an eF resource in Seattle.

So the eF resource is supposed to be the martial arts expert on all things in Seattle ?

If this kind of behavior is your representative standard bearer, then I think that the credibility may be lacking ....
silatboy

Postby silatboy on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:19 pm

Finny wrote:Just wanted to say I agree with Jake's position entirely. What? it's wrong to point and laugh or point out the ridiculous or stupid or generally shitty aspects of certain MA arts/teachers?

Bullshit.

If someone were to ask me about Empty Flower and it's internet experts,
I would point out that their "resources" and advice guys have low class, poor manners,
and that's the "ridiculous or stupid or generally shitty aspects" of this board and it's recommendations.

And I would add, that they seem to be proud of this too.
silatboy

Postby Orpheus on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:29 pm

I would like to add something here that I think Jake has neglected to mention.

While he may have heard many of these things via second sources, he actually spoke directly with Frank about them. Jake, you can correct me if I'm wrong.

I however have no issue with Frank Wong. I haven't met the guy, but I've met a couple of his students in other classes. They tended to have a good training ethic. They haven't had anything negative to say. One stated that they weren't allowed to study with another teacher if they studied with him. He had accepted that, was ok with it and quit when he wanted to study elsewhere. On top of that, Frank's prices are very low for the Seattle area.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby jack coffee on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:53 pm

Last edited by jack coffee on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jack coffee

Postby Orpheus on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 pm

Emo-Jake is a funny image.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:11 pm

If someone says that you should respond with the empirically truthful statement that you don't know jack shit about Empty Flower and it's "experts".

Your sweeping generalizations have been duly noted.

S- I've seen your behavior pattern before
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:48 pm

Jake, there is only one way you can settle this. Kumite. Keep doing what you're doing in Seattle, bro. From all accounts a lot of martial artists in your area are satisfied with their ponytails and form practice on the beach, not that I have anything against the beach.

It's no newsflash that Chinese teachers will tend to trash talk other teachers. Even the nice guys will quietly tell you that someone else doesn't have it. It's something to do with the fighter's mindset, Chinese culture, both, or something else entirely. Who knows. Who cares. What matters is that we don't need yet another random martial arts jesus shitting all over people he doesn't know because he doesn't get enough fiber in his diet.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:20 pm

silatboy wrote:
Finny wrote:Just wanted to say I agree with Jake's position entirely. What? it's wrong to point and laugh or point out the ridiculous or stupid or generally shitty aspects of certain MA arts/teachers?

Bullshit.

I would point out that their "resources" and advice guys have low class, poor manners,
and that's the "ridiculous or stupid or generally shitty aspects" of this board and it's recommendations.

And I would add, that they seem to be proud of this too.

How is Jake providing his local knowledge an example of "low class, poor manners"??

He simply related his experiences - AS HE WAS ASKED TO.

We all know this is the net, and information must be treated carefully - but what, no-one's allowed to provide any info - when requested, for fear of upsetting you and the class police?

If you were asked about eF, I wouldn't criticise you for giving your opinion, as requested

silatboy wrote:
So the eF resource is supposed to be the martial arts expert on all things in Seattle ?

If this kind of behavior is your representative standard bearer, then I think that the credibility may be lacking ....

Who said "the" resource was the "martial arts expert"?

I said Jake was asked as A resource available to eF in Seattle, to give his opinion.

You have commented that you think this was an example of "low class, poor manners" etc.

I say Bullshit.

If you don't want to be a part of the information age, go live in a cave.

If you have a differing opinion on the subject at hand, by all means contribute.

But don't attack others for contributing - THAT'S low class.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:46 am

kreese wrote:Jake, there is only one way you can settle this. Kumite. Keep doing what you're doing in Seattle, bro. From all accounts a lot of martial artists in your area are satisfied with their ponytails and form practice on the beach, not that I have anything against the beach.

It's no newsflash that Chinese teachers will tend to trash talk other teachers. Even the nice guys will quietly tell you that someone else doesn't have it. It's something to do with the fighter's mindset, Chinese culture, both, or something else entirely. Who knows. Who cares. What matters is that we don't need yet another random martial arts jesus shitting all over people he doesn't know because he doesn't get enough fiber in his diet.

QFTFT! :-X
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:04 am

Your sweeping generalizations have been duly noted.

Well said Segs, well said.
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:31 pm

I find it funny how this guy has a beef with jake, and suddenly every xingyi guy and EF resource expert (whatever the fuck that means) is a modern young punk who shoots his mouth.

Comming from a guy with seven posts who i dont think knows jake and im pretty sure doesnt know EF. Its just funny.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:47 pm

It's just another example of people who have no social skills and think that they do.

It's pretty common.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:23 am

In the past few years I have seen a few folks roll up into EF and make big blanket statements about everyone on the board. You know, it generally doesn't seem to go over that well.
I know I don't post a shit load on here, but I am around enough to know that a majority of the folks on EF are an alright group of folks. People have opinions and are more than welcome to voice them. Especially if they have put in the time and effort and have had experiences that they were asked about. I don't know Jake personally, but my teachers have met him and have said nothing but good about the guy.
fisherman
Great Old One

Re: Xinyidao in Seattle

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:38 pm

JAB wrote:Silat boy - (remind me of your real name?)
Well you are entitled to what you want to think. Personally I care less. But let me ask you this....
Lets say you move to Seattle.... looking for a Silat teacher. Joe Schmoe had a terrible experience with Teacher X. You post on EF that you are looking for a Silat teacher in Seattle, and was wondering what peoples experiences were. Would you be offended if Joe told you his negative experience of Teacher X? Or would you be greatful that you were given a heads up about Teacher X's issue(s)?

Better yet..... you go to a restaurant and have terrible service, get food poisoning, and end up sick for a week. Would you not tell anyone about such an experience?
I live in the west. I grew up with anglo parents, not Chinese / Japanese or any other - ese. When I have a shitty experience at a diner, or with an instructor, or at a mechanic, or...... I let people know. Word of mouth can build or destroy. Why so many douche bags continue to prosper in the martial arts is because too many people (out of respect / tradition / rightiousness or whatever) do not share their experiences when asked (and I was asked boy). If more teachers / schools feared word of mouth, then they most likely change their bullshit (namely not talking shit about others in any context), or would be out of business pretty darn quick!
So I called someone on it, and I am letting someone know what to keep an eye out for with a certain teacher. I expect no less about someone with me. That is why when I talk shit not only can I back it, but also I make sure I am in the right for doing it. It is not as if I got on and started a thread talking shit about someone.

Once again you can think what you wish. It is not important to me to please you, or anyone on this board. If you do not like it, okay. Don't read my posts. I am the way I am. I have actually gained several students because of my forthright attitude and no nonsense approach to what I do. Some do not like it. So they do not train with me. Okay. Every student has his own journey. All the best to you boy.

Cheers
Jake

Agree with you completely bro, too many charlatans getting away with selling snake oil for way too long.

Silat boy welcome to the flower, just a suggestion though. You might want to gain some rapport with people here before you criticise people for speaking their mind, how about a intro about yourself and your background.

JB.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That