Can Minnie Pearl Beat A Gracie with Crossed Arms?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Bodyguards crossing their hands - is this wise??

Postby GrahamB on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:17 am

There's a long history of Gracie fighters losing in MMA. That's not the point, at all.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:38 am

Whats the point? That we all should look down on everything besides bjj and the gracies are awesome no matter what?
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby bailewen on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:20 am

Nice straw man there. :P

"bjj" =/= "Gracie family member".

Just imagine how you'd take the story if it was a hands-only sparring session and it was Sugar Ray Leonard who showed up at some, you know, very very serious MA school. Either he agreed to the schools rules (includes kicking, leg kicks and throws etc.) or he compares skills at boxing. So either this mysterious un-named Gracie volunteered to restrict himself to push hands rules (making the name dropping kind of pointless and in poor taste) or he allowed to grapple without restrictions and found a serious match in the public parks of Taiwan.

One version is pointless and the other comically implausible.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby kshurika on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:22 am

paranoidandroid wrote:

Whats the point? That we all should look down on everything besides bjj and the gracies are awesome no matter what?

You know the point. Stand-up, striking arts aren't the whole thing. No one art is the whole thing (including BJJ and especially taiji). BJJ people tend to be very, very well-conditioned - which is absolutely essential to being a good fighter. Many IMA people, on the other hand, can be flimsy little flowers who delude themselves that their open meridians and pre-birth yang qi will win the day.

Someone good at several IMA could beat a BJJ person with well-trained fighting skills (something you don't find a lot of in IMA). Once an IMA guy's on his back, though, it's a whole new ball game. That's why Rickson will always beat Minnie Pearl. (I didn't want to get Jonathan and DGlenn upset again.)
Last edited by kshurika on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:36 am

The Gracie pride is not in the win or lose it is in the latin world of machismo, accept all challenges, win or lose you stand up.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:52 am

paranoidandroid wrote:Whats the point? That we all should look down on everything besides bjj and the gracies are awesome no matter what?

I'm constantly amazed at Internet communication. How do intelligent people end up at this place?

Only on the Internet can somebody say, "yeah, I kind of like cats" and get an instant "so why do you HATE ALL DOGS!!!!!!!!!'";D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 am

To bring this amazing thread to the obvious logical conclusion, I suggest that all bodyguards should dress and act like Minnie Pearl, instead of crossing their arms, in order to better blend in and avoid restricting their breath. Alternatively, Shimon Peres could hire the Gracie family members for bodyguards, since their arm-crossing technique appears to be in accord with the pre-natal prana of Gaia.

*edit* P.S. correction -- the Gracies, if hired, would actually not be standing up, but be on their backs on the ground, 'cause that's what their art is all about. Which would make it a bit harder to blend in and to properly observe the surroundings... Hmmm.... Back to the drawing board!
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:12 am

Intelligent people where? :-*
Of course its strawman, and of course my point was stupid. That was the point.
Counter balance for other stupid points. Yin and Yang dudes.
Last edited by Patrick on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:15 am

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Rabbit on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:07 am

He is right. He is being a right twat in his exchange with JB. But he is right.

kshurika wrote:paranoidandroid wrote:

You know the point. Stand-up, striking arts aren't the whole thing. No one art is the whole thing (including BJJ and especially taiji). BJJ people tend to be very, very well-conditioned - which is absolutely essential to being a good fighter. Many IMA people, on the other hand, can be flimsy little flowers who delude themselves that their open meridians and pre-birth yang qi will win the day.

Someone good at several IMA could beat a BJJ person with well-trained fighting skills (something you don't find a lot of in IMA). Once an IMA guy's on his back, though, it's a whole new ball game. That's why Rickson will always beat Minnie Pearl. (I didn't want to get Jonathan and DGlenn upset again.)
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:45 am

[quote]Many IMA people, on the other hand, can be flimsy little flowers who delude themselves that their open meridians and pre-birth yang qi will win the day.[quote]

Of course, this trend exists, but I wonder if "many" BJJ guys are proficient, as compared to the "many" IMA people who supposedly are not?
Fully trained fighters are well conditioned, period, in all arts. The IMA people I've met in my travels are realistic about their abilities, whereas I have witnessed some bluster and arrogance from the MMA side, frankly.
Last edited by allen2saint on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:49 am

Everybody is all Gracie this, Gracie that... the real shit is the Fadda family.

Fadda will always beat Gracie!

My YSB friend actually got to meet Oswaldo Fadda back in 2000. Said he was the BJJ equivalent of Xie PQ.

The same lifetimes of practicing martial arts produced the same subtle level of skill and despite being 80 at the time they both still had the ability to take on men much younger then themselves.

http://www.faddajiujitsu.com/history/

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:05 am

D_Glenn wrote:Everybody is all Gracie this, Gracie that... the real shit is the Fadda family.

Fadda will always beat Gracie!

My YSB friend actually got to meet Oswaldo Fadda back in 2000. Said he was the BJJ equivalent of Xie PQ.

The same lifetimes of practicing martial arts produced the same subtle level of skill and despite being 80 at the time they both still had the ability to take on men much younger then themselves.

http://www.faddajiujitsu.com/history/

hey thanks for the link, enjoyed that. as for the rest of this thread... sheesh.

oh apart from one of the funniest lines i've read in some time, something about dipping a toe in a river of shit... or something like that...:D
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:12 am

The Fadda article was great! I have never heard of them so it is good that he spent his time teaching and sharing with those less able to 'afford" that skill.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 am

Dmitri wrote:To bring this amazing thread to the obvious logical conclusion, I suggest that all bodyguards should dress and act like Minnie Pearl, instead of crossing their arms, in order to better blend in and avoid restricting their breath. Alternatively, Shimon Peres could hire the Gracie family members for bodyguards, since their arm-crossing technique appears to be in accord with the pre-natal prana of Gaia.

*edit* P.S. correction -- the Gracies, if hired, would actually not be standing up, but be on their backs on the ground, 'cause that's what their art is all about. Which would make it a bit harder to blend in and to properly observe the surroundings... Hmmm.... Back to the drawing board!

Hahaha! Nice. LOL ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That