Flowing Combat 2.0

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Flowing Combat 2.0

Postby Bhassler on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:21 am

Shooter wrote:I'd like to offer some constructive criticism regards the material I just watched in this clip but am loath to do so if the ideas are an aside to the pissing and dick-swinging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... qiuU#t=97s

+1

I liked the movement drills as a first iteration of using the body to generate power and learning not to leach efficiency with unnecessary effort. In terms of application, I thought it was tactically sound as far as developing a good instinctive automatic response to attack. There was some stuff I didn't like as much, but I attribute that more to personal preference as opposed to superior tactics or teaching methods.

What I really liked is that it's a glimpse of an actual teaching method aimed towards realistic usage in a SD context. Seems like that could be a basis for some interesting conversation and exchange of ideas.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby gimpster on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 am

This spat shouldn't come as a surprise, Romel has had a habit of self-promoting ever since he appeared on RMA 12 years ago as a Dim Mak master and Tai Ji expert at the age of 23. His early resume that's still on RMA is a hoot to read.

And with his recent character assassination of another instructor to build up his site, well, it was just a matter of time before someone decided to check his oil.

Of course a rumble won't happen. But if it did, my money would be on Mr. Dugas.
gimpster
Anjing

Postby Ralteria on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am

Bhassler wrote:
Shooter wrote:I'd like to offer some constructive criticism regards the material I just watched in this clip but am loath to do so if the ideas are an aside to the pissing and dick-swinging.

+1

I liked the movement drills as a first iteration of using the body to generate power and learning not to leach efficiency with unnecessary effort. In terms of application, I thought it was tactically sound as far as developing a good instinctive automatic response to attack. There was some stuff I didn't like as much, but I attribute that more to personal preference as opposed to superior tactics or teaching methods.

What I really liked is that it's a glimpse of an actual teaching method aimed towards realistic usage in a SD context. Seems like that could be a basis for some interesting conversation and exchange of ideas.

I've got no horse in this race, so I'll bite on some constructive criticism.

While the video itself explained that it was too fast for the student in question, In terms of the demonstrator and either party getting decenet training out of it I would think that it would be necessary for both players to be moving at the same speed. Also, contact on the strikes (doesn't even have to be hard, but enough for either party to deal with pressure) would give better feed back for both parties. It would especially allow the person who is having a hand in their face to have an opportunity to yield to incoming traffic. Pulling a strike that far away from someone denies the defender an opportunity to actually defend and gives the attacker a falls sense of distance. Like I said, doesn't even have to be hard or fast, just contact.

And while I'm sure the spelling in this posted is jacked, I would re-edit the intro. Doesn't speak of professionalism.
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby GaryR on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:13 am

Dale Dugas wrote:Gary,

You are nothing but a mouthboxer. Being critical of someone who is your known senior and making fun of their uniforms points to serious insecurities with your own psyche.

Ah, the whole, "I know you are but what am I" argument. Cute. Critical? The last comment I made about a "senior" was polite and objective, including the benefit of the doubt on fighting ability. Uniforms? I dislike all uniforms, I have worn them yes, but overall I dislike them. Insecure? If I was insecure why would I post my link and ask for constructive critique? It is you here with a chip on your shoulder,setting up straw-men, and defending other peoples honor whilst defaming me.

Dale Dugas wrote: is sad to see you act like you would be able to handle me at all. Unlike yourself I have been using my arts in reality for many years and have the scars and injuries to prove it. You are way over confident for someone who is a small boned man talking to a 6' 2" 290 pound well trained martial artist.

Interesting, I see your conjecture is only outmeasured by your assumptions. One should always assume there is somebody better as a policy. Size can matter, so good for you on the weight class. I'm currently an extra lightweight.

Dale Dugas wrote: look forward to visiting you, filming our training session and putting it on youtube for all to see.

Well, contact me privately if you would like to arrange a lesson or something. I think regardless of what training is done it is usually very apparently obvious who has more knowledge, or is better than whom. If it's not me, great, I'll learn something perhaps. Invest in loss.

Dale Dugas wrote: are not what you claim, and anyone buying your material will see that.

Not True. I haven't claimed to be anything that I'm not. It's my system, and I can define it. The people who taught me the material that was used in the system knew I was a teacher at the time, and I fully intended on taking it for those purposes. I have not claimed some pure lineage, I don't actually care about lineage. I care about material. Anyone buying what little material I have available will have over an hour of footage and a free lesson to decide for themselves, not exactly deceitful advertising, lol. Oh, and and an FYI, mostly, I am looking to do more in person teaching than videos.
GaryR

Postby GaryR on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:21 am

gimpster wrote:This spat shouldn't come as a surprise..................

Gimpster, FYI-- The early online presance came from one of my earlier students who designed a website for me in exchange for lessons. (pressurepointfighting.com). Doing of course "Dim-mak" at a ripe old age of 23 was laughable at glance--resultantly stirring some net fun.

Character assassination? This telephone game is out of control. First, I gave a man credit for having solid mechanics, and even given no direct evidence, gave him the benefit of the doubt as for fighting ability based on such movement. Character assassination this does not make. Second, to promote my site? Not directly, no. I finally have time for the MA again, which means teaching, training, waisting my time typing this to you now etc. All of which involved going back on old forums, reading and posting to relevant topics.
GaryR

Postby GaryR on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 am

Ralteria wrote:
Bhassler wrote:

+1

I've got no horse in this race, so I'll bite on some constructive criticism.

While the video itself explained that it was too fast for the student in question, In terms of the demonstrator and either party getting decenet training out of it I would think that it would be necessary for both players to be moving at the same speed. Also, contact on the strikes (doesn't even have to be hard, but enough for either party to deal with pressure) would give better feed back for both parties. It would especially allow the person who is having a hand in their face to have an opportunity to yield to incoming traffic. Pulling a strike that far away from someone denies the defender an opportunity to actually defend and gives the attacker a falls sense of distance. Like I said, doesn't even have to be hard or fast, just contact.

And while I'm sure the spelling in this posted is jacked, I would re-edit the intro. Doesn't speak of professionalism.

Thats for the feedback. You are correct, both parties do get more training by moving at the same (and generally slower) speed. I was in demo-mode, not training mode. When the drill is taught, it is taught for both to go at the same speed.

I also agree on the contact. It does give better feedback. The student was having trouble with what I was already throwing at him, I think contact may have overwhelmed him at that point in time, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

G
GaryR

Postby Ralteria on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification,

Obviously this is just a snippet of your material, so you may cover those types of things in an intro of sorts. I'm in the boat with Bhassler in that fwiw I liked it, barring personal preference. I'm a big fan of free form flow drills.
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:41 am

All of this kind of crap is why I treat my CMA background kinda like having a retarded in-bred cousin who's in jail for running a daycare center and meth lab out of his trailer park double-wide. It's fucking embarrassing in normal society.
Chris McKinley

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:49 am

Chris McKinley wrote:All of this kind of crap is why I treat my CMA background kinda like having a retarded in-bred cousin who's in jail for running a daycare center and meth lab out of his trailer park double-wide. It's fucking embarrassing in normal society.

+1 ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 am

I'm willing to bet that we'll go at least 2 or 3 more pages before there's any knowledgeable discussion of the combative merits of anything, and I predict a whole lot more lineage queenery.
Chris McKinley

Postby kreese on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 am

So did you or did you not steal money that should have gone to Marcus or anyone else? Did you duplicate and sell a copyrighted material that wasn't yours? If we were to contact the resellers of those videos, past and present, and cross-referenced those with payments you may or may not have sent Marcus, everything would match up, right?

The rest is opinion based on first-hand experience with qualified individuals in several Chinese martial arts.

Lineage is just the school's family tree. It's how all of life is classified in biology, for another example of lineage, so bringing it up in the context of being your inbred cousin is sort of neither here nor there.

Only people that can't claim lineage are derisive of it, otherwise you either don't care or or it is very important to you, but in terms of looking for good teachers you look for a verifiable transmission of skills.

How many one-hit wonders are there whose students are just as clueless as anyone else's students. But if generation after generation there are at least a couple guys that get it and maybe even take it a step further, you know that there is something there that's alive, growing, evolving, etc.

Evolution requires a long time, it is not the the result of flitting about here and there and deciding that because your personal expression is different from what you were taught, that all of it is silly, even though you are basically resting on the laurels of tradition to support your own personal expression, which of course everyone has the right to share.

I really made no claims about lineage, either yours or mine, I just include some facts to help you understand where I'm coming from, you are again free to have your own opinion, but ultimately there is the truth and there are lies, and this is not something where you just argue your way out of it, it's about you being a snake and not having respect for anyone else.

You are an aspiring lawyer because you argue like one, you sidestep morality and talk business. Well business has ethics too, you know. It's not all about what you can get away with legally. You show basically no human emotion, more the attitude of a psychopath.
Last edited by kreese on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:59 pm

dear mods - please lock the lid on this garbage can. it's stinks.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:14 pm

ashe wrote:dear mods - please lock the lid on this garbage can. it's stinks.

Don't read it then. Like bad tv...nobody forces you to watch it

There are actually some very good points being rasied here by a number of people. I really, really liked some of what Kreese wrote - some very good points that more people should take the time to consider.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 pm

kreese,

Are you drunk? You're addressing points I made in the same breath as addressing Gary Romel's. Lineage is bullshit and the people who traffic in it are bullshit peddlers who, 99+% of the time, can't fight for shit. Frankly, neither can most of the teachers they're so fond of asskissing. You've either got some shit yourself or you don't. What your teacher had doesn't mean fuck-all. My lineage is pretty damn good, but there's a reason I almost never talk about unless asked directly. It doesn't mean shit. I could walk through most of the world's IMA lineage holders without changing my fucking BPM, so it really doesn't impress me.
Chris McKinley

Postby G. Matthew Webb on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Fight ! Fight! Fight! -saber-
G. Matthew Webb
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That