Flowing Combat 2.0

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Flowing Combat 2.0

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Nah, at least the pigs can fight. They also smoke cigars and drink single malt scotch. I'll take the pigs...'sides, I'm not really in a mood for a good nancy-in'.
Chris McKinley

Postby BruceP on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Constructive Criticism

"...points of failure..." eh?

Not that the clip illustrated much in the way of that, but in all fairness the idea is a moving target - in my limited understanding anyway. I was just waiting for it to jump off as something Gary has a handle on, but it never happened. It might be that the idea is being confused for something else as far as the interactive elements of the 'drills' in the clip are concerned. It would have been helpful to see the emphasis on that idea shining through at least once or twice.

How can a 'student' develop an understanding of the idea if the 'instructor' never demonstrates it? I've spent hours getting tooled, bested, caught unawares and put to sleep by my training partners in demonstrating the leaks in my Personal Combat before I ever turned the tables on them in the context of theirs. Aside from the cerebral drills, the contact stuff should have a revealing element on at least a basic level that isn't even being discussed, let alone demonstrated.

It might be that the White Owl is starting to do the talking, and The Ultimate Fighter is starting in 25 minutes, so I'd best leave it at that for now.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby kwameb on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 am

Gotta be honest Gary.
Site looks a bit cheap, and like one of those generic "TRY MY NEW ULTIMATE BECOME RIPPED IN 5 MINUTES A YEAR" workout sites, but fewer bright colours and better organised. At first glance at least.
After having a browse, it's not that bad though.
The videos are very low quality man, I think my phone can record better than that, which says a lot. Based on them, there's little chance I'd buy a DVD, if I'm honest (especially at that price), and personally I think it doesn't contribute to making you look professional.
The site design has a very (western) military feel, which doesn't come across at all in the material. It basically looks like rebranded CMA to me. I haven't really seen any of the "military unarmed combat", but that's just me. Nor do I see any Dim Mak, on my brief browse but hey, maybe that's coming later.
Lastly on lineage, it might not be important, but as far as I'm concerned, all instructors should provide some evidence of their qualification. Of course skills speak for themselves, but so much crap talk could be avoided if people didn't beat around the bush with it.

Regardless, good luck with this. But between the low quality of videos, and the fact I haven't really seen anything to set you apart from any other rebranded CMA, I personally wouldn't buy anything. And after reading a few posts on this site, you honestly seem like a bit of an ass, and I wouldn't be interested in learning from you. Maybe it's in response to the posts, but it's how you come across.

Just some constructive critique. Take or leave, I'm just chiming in, so don't worry about addressing it.
kwameb
Anjing

Postby Bhassler on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 am

Shooter wrote:How can a 'student' develop an understanding of the idea if the 'instructor' never demonstrates it? I've spent hours getting tooled, bested, caught unawares and put to sleep by my training partners in demonstrating the leaks in my Personal Combat before I ever turned the tables on them in the context of theirs. Aside from the cerebral drills, the contact stuff should have a revealing element on at least a basic level that isn't even being discussed, let alone demonstrated.

Hey Shooter,

It seems like your training partners would have to have some pretty effective attacks in order to allow you to experience failure realistically (i.e. not just feeding them). How do you develop that in folks who are less conditioned, experienced, etc.? It seems like maybe you could get there by having them attack you and you just defend without counter-attacking, on the assumption that eventually they'll figure out how to attack and get through (which is also probably a really fast way to get past the "I can't beat teacher" syndrome). What other kinds of stuff do you do?
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:58 am

GaryR wrote:
I also agree on the contact. It does give better feedback. The student was having trouble with what I was already throwing at him, I think contact may have overwhelmed him at that point in time, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

G

You are wrong. Its easy to generate the feedback required to show the 'student' what they're supposed to be seeing/doing/understanding. You have the roles of the 'student' and 'teacher' reversed. That's why the clips of the drills and demos are so retarded and run-of-the-mill.

Humpin Hayzoos, man, you take the ideas Mckinley and I have beaten into dust on these webz and you turn them into generic chop.

I've described the method for getting people working in real time repeatedly over the years and have yet to see a single CMA 'teacher' here, or anywhere, use the method (or even discuss it) to get their 'students' working in real time with real pressure. See, the mistake you've made - and the reason I say you're wrong - is, you think you're 'overwhelming' the 'student' and that you're going too fast for them. It should be the exact opposite of that...you should be trying to keep up with them! They should almost be going too fast for you.
Last edited by BruceP on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:25 am

Bhassler wrote:
It seems like your training partners would have to have some pretty effective attacks in order to allow you to experience failure realistically (i.e. not just feeding them). How do you develop that in folks who are less conditioned, experienced, etc.? It seems like maybe you could get there by having them attack you and you just defend without counter-attacking, on the assumption that eventually they'll figure out how to attack and get through (which is also probably a really fast way to get past the "I can't beat teacher" syndrome). What other kinds of stuff do you do?

That pretty much nails it, Brian. You've answered your own question.

If there's a hint of deference in a training partner's demeanor on their first day, they're asked to hit me (or another senior training partner) as hard as they can - repeatedly. We work through the drill until they're not holding anything back. People get to see, feel and learn one whole helluva lot in that short amount of time. That they're less conditioned, experienced, etc, no longer matters to anyone in the group. I'm there to learn from them, and that exercise is often the first step in understanding what lies at the heart of their Personal Combat.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 am

I don't have any difficulty getting pros to do this immediately since they're usually champing at the bit to test or take down any civilian instructor. However, if/when I have opportunity, I'm going to work more of this into my work with civilians, and with full credit going to you, Bruce. Thanks for the reminder.
Chris McKinley

Postby nianfong on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:22 am

Jeezus. This shit is locked. Gary, kreese, et al, please take your beefs to PM.
nianfong
Administrator

Previous

Return to Been There Done That