Flowing Combat 2.0

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Flowing Combat 2.0

Postby GaryR on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Well,

Its been over a decade since the last update and video. So after law school I finally had time to re-do some things. I have a Flowing Motions DVD coming out soon, and the new website is here: www.flowingcombat.net.
Any constructive feedback would be appreciated. I am awaiting more demo uploads, and the new DVD demos as well. Still some work to go.

Best,

Gary
GaryR

Re: Flowing Combat 2.0

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks for serving in the Armed forces.
neijia_boxer

Postby marqs on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:44 pm

I liked the video you posted sometime earlier, and also this material looks good, from the substance side.

Some random thoughts when looking at this:
- First page:
• There's a lot of small text. The words "flowing combat" pop out, and then (i guess your) portrait. The small photo is kind of dark and takes a close look to see what's in it.
• What do you really want the 2-3 things people to understand from the first page? I'd be very clear about this and put all the more detailed information behind links. Don't try to tell everything on the first page, just the essentials.
• word "Dim-mak" on the first page might raise some red flags for some people. Be clear about who are your target audience(s) and tailor the message mostly for them on the first page.
• I'd put a video on the first page, that drives the "what is this about" message home. For example just the "2 person drill" part from the video in demos or something. It would be good if the demo would be shot in a setting that looks more "official" - any interior space will probably do, some people in good shape in the background with you teaching something with action that looks gives a representation of the best your system has to offer in your opinion. The clip is meant to give some kind of "Wow"-effect.
• Testimonials are good, I'd put a couple on the first page and then a link to the testimonials-page.

In general:
• Use a bigger font-size
• The header image gets messy with lots of smaller images, Lots of text on top etc. Clarify, which probably means organizing and condensing your message.
• IMO your movement looks good, and you seem to break things down clearly to your student. I'd use the order "first impress then explain how to do it" on the site - as the idea is not to teach, but to give a good impression and spark the interest to study with you, buy the DVD or something like that.
• If you can, get a video clip with better production quality (shot with a better camera/less noise, and some good quality audio makes the video look a lot better.

Good luck with the site & DVD, i hope it works out. I've worked on IT/web projects for a long while, and have BA in arts education + some MA studies in multimedia. So although I'm not a graphic designer, I've studied it along with visual communication etc. My perspective is quite scandinavian which tends to be a lot more minimalistic on the marketing side than the american style. But I hope you get something useful from these ideas that help you improve your site.
marqs
Huajing

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Totally agree with marqs on all points. Especially about the quality of the vid. That clip won't sell DVDs. Also, I won't even bother to read the text in the header. It would make my head hurt. But I wouldn't even know that there was a text in the header if marqs didn't adress the issue. Two big issues. But otherwise it's pretty effective from a marketing perspective, and I like many things of the design. Also great use of testimonials and many texts that are good from a selling pov. I would have some quotes from the articles in "articles". The page just looks unfinished as it is.

My only question and sort of "point": Why do you call the mainpage about? Also, the "about" in the heading text to the right feels like you have entered the wrong page. I would just name the homepage "flowing combat" and skip the "about" on the heading text.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:17 am

Gary,

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117840

seems you want to drive some traffic to your site.

No offense but what is your background?

Your lineage is not listed but you want people to shell out money for material that is extremely questionable.

In the past I bought Shifu Marcus Brinkman material from you. That was good material.

Be careful of trying to come across as being better trained than you actually are.
Last edited by Dale Dugas on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby GaryR on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 pm

Dale Dugas wrote:Gary,

you want to drive some traffic to your site.

Yes I do, that is exactly why I posted the link and updated the site.

Dale Dugas wrote: offense but what is your background?

Well, unlike you I don't teach acupuncture or herbal medicine. I base my teaching and training on evidence, and results. According to your own bio you have Zero
experience in my arts. You also appear to have zero real work experience. Either way, no offense, but your out of your league.

Dale Dugas wrote: lineage is not listed but you want people to shell out money for material that is extremely questionable.

I will give you the first lesson for free, and the video will tell if the material is questionable.

Dale Dugas wrote: the past I bought Shifu Marcus Brinkman material from you. That was good material.

Great, then when I replicate it for you in person, and break down how to use it , your will be appreciative.

Dale Dugas wrote: careful of trying to come across as being better trained than you actually are.

Be careful about talking out of your A@@. As I said, I welcome the training session. PM me for details.

G
GaryR

Postby GaryR on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:35 pm

marqs wrote:I liked the video you posted sometime earlier, and also this material looks good, from the substance side.

Some random thoughts when looking at this:
- First page:
• There's a lot of small text. The words "flowing combat" pop out, and then (i guess your) portrait. The small photo is kind of dark and takes a close look to see what's in it.
• What do you really want the 2-3 things people to understand from the first page? I'd be very clear about this and put all the more detailed information behind links. Don't try to tell everything on the first page, just the essentials.
• word "Dim-mak" on the first page might raise some red flags for some people. Be clear about who are your target audience(s) and tailor the message mostly for them on the first page.
• I'd put a video on the first page, that drives the "what is this about" message home. For example just the "2 person drill" part from the video in demos or something. It would be good if the demo would be shot in a setting that looks more "official" - any interior space will probably do, some people in good shape in the background with you teaching something with action that looks gives a representation of the best your system has to offer in your opinion. The clip is meant to give some kind of "Wow"-effect.
• Testimonials are good, I'd put a couple on the first page and then a link to the testimonials-page.

In general:
• Use a bigger font-size
• The header image gets messy with lots of smaller images, Lots of text on top etc. Clarify, which probably means organizing and condensing your message.
• IMO your movement looks good, and you seem to break things down clearly to your student. I'd use the order "first impress then explain how to do it" on the site - as the idea is not to teach, but to give a good impression and spark the interest to study with you, buy the DVD or something like that.
• If you can, get a video clip with better production quality (shot with a better camera/less noise, and some good quality audio makes the video look a lot better.

Good luck with the site & DVD, i hope it works out. I've worked on IT/web projects for a long while, and have BA in arts education + some MA studies in multimedia. So although I'm not a graphic designer, I've studied it along with visual communication etc. My perspective is quite scandinavian which tends to be a lot more minimalistic on the marketing side than the american style. But I hope you get something useful from these ideas that help you improve your site.

DUDE, you are the man, thanks for the feedback, will be getting back to this shortly.

G
GaryR

Postby kreese on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Your lineage is not listed but you want people to shell out money for material that is extremely questionable.

In the past I bought Shifu Marcus Brinkman material from you. That was good material.

Be careful of trying to come across as being better trained than you actually are.

Wonder if Marcus sees any money from the sales of the DVDs produced with Gary. Before that, there was just Earl Montague to claim as lineage. Now we've invented new martial arts, and have even gone so far as to revise that new martial art.

Having trained personally with Marcus and viewed some of his materials, and having trained in Luo De Xiu's class in Taipei, Taiwan that at the time had quite a number of senior students, I am familiar with the basics of Gao and how it is expressed by those that are really starting to get it, after having dedicated and sacrificed much time and social opportunities for at least 3-4 years, such is the dedication of those crazy enough to be here.

I also had about 5 years of Chen instruction and experience teaching myself before I even came to Taiwan. My lineage there is (by fate) impeccable, the late, great Feng Zhiqiang is my teacher's teacher.

See you get to train maybe 2-3 times as much as the avg. class in the West in Luo Laoshi's Taipei class, and you get to meet a number of other students that drop by to visit or live elsewhere in Asia. Most hard core students were there 4-6 days a week, and was already pretty good at some form of martial art.

So even if you only train a relatively short time, you are given a large amount of material to work with, more than enough for several years, actually. This is because of the reality of the modern student, who is usually foreign, on borrowed time or a break from life, and is in Taiwan for a short time and wants to experience Luo Laoshi's class.

Anyway, having also viewed Flowing Combat 1.0 demos, because I was right here when it was hyped along with many other old timers, there wasn't anything in there that wasn't Gao material, and Gary never had a single clip up before he started the website and produced the DVDs.

Insiderasia or whatever it was called promptly died thanks to the guy running it. Grand opening...grand closing. But the sale of Marcus' Gao DVDs went on, as they were being resold by familiar online distributors of gong fu DVDs, and still are.

The question is, where are these DVDs coming from and who gets the profits?

I am willing to bet that Flowing Combat 2.0 is just a slicker, plagiarized version of Gao xingyi and bagua, with dim mak (taijiquan is dim mak, you see) as the strong foundation, and whatever has been gleaned since then from youtube.

We shouldn't support this sort of disrespect and profit-motivated products that just put a bow on stolen material and call it something else. Or if you do, know that PT Barnum was right and that your dollars are safely in the hands of someone that thinks you are stupid, and maybe you are.

I'll ask Marcus the next time I see him.
Last edited by kreese on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:01 am, edited 9 times in total.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby GaryR on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:48 pm

kreese wrote:

Wonder if Marcus sees any money from the sales of the DVDs produced with Gary. Before that, there was just Earl Montague to claim as lineage. Now we've invented new martial arts, and have even gone so far as to revise that new martial art.

Having trained personally with Marcus and viewed some of his materials, I am willing to bet that Flowing Combat is just a plagiarized version of Gao xingyi and bagua, with dim mak (taijiquan is dim mak, you see) as the strong foundation.

We shouldn't support this sort of disrespect and profit-motivated products that just put a bow on stolen material and call it something else.

Well, Kreese. My DVD's are my DVD's period, and not your buisness. Moreover, "just" Erle Montaigue is fine with me. He was a great man / teacher.

Additionally, Flowing Combat is admittedly a hybrid of Tai Chi Chuan, Xing yi Chuan, Bagua Zhang, LHBF, Military Unarmed Combat, and "Dim mak". It is a a combo of those things, but a combo arranged in a more efficient and effective way IMO. Its an evolution, not a copy. The first lesson is free, I'd love to meet you and demonstrate.

Erle put out this material decades ago, I was certified to teach it, period. Other influences, yes. But everything I learned was with the disclosure it was for my own material.

regards,

G
Last edited by GaryR on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GaryR

Postby kreese on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:08 am

Well now that you agree with me completely, since you can't possibly disagree with my first-hand account, anything you say will just be double-speak to try to pretend like you aren't what you are.

Are you an aspiring attorney, by chance? An aspiring professional liar?

In fact, it will be fun to read things like "hybrid of TCC, XYC, BGZ, LHBF, Military Unarmed Combat, and dim mak.

Wow, that's an irresistable combination of arts that you are proficient in.

I am familiar with Choi Wai Lun's LHBF and have met Drake several times, along with some of his gong fu family. While there are certainly many expressions of the art, Choi's school is probably the only one that has a fighting lineage and still emphasizes usage. He is an official if not the offical successor according to martial tradition.

So I guess if I go to your website I'll see some clips of your LHBF, unless you've already done so here? You probably have, that would be the smart marketing decision. I have an idea of what to look for, as I've watched hundreds of hours of Choi and his students trying to decode his art.

It took a long time after I saw and felt it to really start to grasp what it was about, so kudos to you for having become proficient in that one in the relatively brief period of time since Flowing Combat 1.0.

Anyway, you exposed yourself, and feel free to continue doing what you're doing, viva capitalism and all that. But please get it the fuck out of here, it's just retarded and designed to be deceptive.

I'm sure you have covered yourself from a legal point of view, much like Brian stole Emptyflower from the late David DeVere, the guy who provided the venue and audience for your marketing, which I'm sure you're glad split into two boards, more advertising space for you.

But from now on no one will take you seriously, and certainly someone who has taken advantage of one of the most knowledgeable and experienced members of the board will promptly be banned.

And then we'll say a bunch of mean things about you, because you won't be able to write back, so enjoy that before you fade from conscious memory and disappear without so much as a fart to mark the occasion.

* Please feel free to talk more mickey mouse bullshit if you want, every word is in perfect harmony to the tune I'm humming, because I know what you kind of person you are, what kind of martial artist you are, and now so does everyone here.
Last edited by kreese on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:32 am, edited 11 times in total.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby GaryR on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:34 am

kreese wrote:Well now that you agree with me completely, since you can't possibly disagree with my first-hand account, anything you say will just be double-speak to try to pretend like you aren't what you are.

Well, you have yet to even identify yourself, so first hand account? Who cares. Who knows.

kreese wrote: you an aspiring attorney, by chance? An aspiring professional liar?

Well, that's an assault on the whole profession. What is yours?

kreese wrote: fact, it will be fun to read things like "hybrid of TCC, XYC, BGZ, LHBF, Military Unarmed Combat, and dim mak.

How is reading about them fun? I would think learning them would be better?

kreese wrote:, that's an irresistable combination of arts that you are proficient in.

I don't know about irresistible, but I didn't chose them because they sucked.

kreese wrote: am familiar with Choi Wai Lun's LHBF and have met Drake several times, along with some of his gong fu family. While there are certainly many expressions of the art, Choi's school is probably the only one that has a fighting lineage and still emphasizes usage.

So I guess if I go to your website I'll see some clips of your LHBF, unless you've already done so here? You probably have, that would be the smart marketing decision. I have an idea of what to look for, as I've watched hundreds of hours of Choi and his students trying to decode his art. It took a long time after I saw and felt it to really start to grasp what it was about, so kudos to you for having become proficient in that one in the relatively brief period of time since Flowing Combat 1.0.

Thats great for you to have met Drake, etc. Thanks for the kudos, and yes I am proficient. No thanks to Drake and Choi himself. You act as though their gift of instruction was a secret? It wasn't. It was acknowledged early---many moons ago.

kreese wrote:, you exposed yourself, and feel free to continue doing what you're doing, viva capitalism and all that. But please get it the fuck out of here, it's just retarded and designed to be deceptive.

Exposed myself as what? Of three DVDs on my site, one is already online for free. I have contributed here for years. So you get the fuck out of here. Nothing I have done here is deceptive or retarded. I have been nothing but forthright.

As I said, the first class is free. Now what is your name, etc.? Nothing but anonymous mouth-boxing from your end, lol.

kreese wrote: sure you have covered yourself from a legal point of view, much like Brian stole Emptyflower from the late David DeVere, the guy who provided the venue and audience for your marketing, which I'm sure you're glad split into two boards, more advertising space for you.

Covered myself? You have issues. Do not compare me to Brian. I was talking to Devere on his cell before he passed, don't use his memory for your agenda, it's not right.

kreese wrote: from now on no one will take you seriously, and certainly someone who has taken advantage of one of the most knowledgeable and experienced members of the board will promptly be banned and we'll also say a bunch of mean things about you, because you won't be able to write back.

Well in case you didn't notice, I've been around here a long time, just as long as anybody else, including you. I am also just about as knowledgeable and experienced as they come for my age. If you would like to end your conjecture, you can find me and bring your teacher; I'm in Santa Monica, CA.

G
Last edited by GaryR on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
GaryR

Postby Dale Dugas on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:48 am

Gary,

Good luck with life.

You are going to need it.
Last edited by Dale Dugas on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:27 am

I was hoping all the noise about lineage and credentials would die down so the discussion could focus on the IDEAS being presented and their merits, rather than the personalities and tender egos. Whether the ideas stand on their own or they're tripe, none of it has any thing to do with a person's lineage (lineage lol)

The particualr brand of ad hominem (abusive) that's being used in this thread is the favored 'argument' around here whenever there's territory at stake - the standard derail.

Poor little Flowing Combat 2.0, you never had a chance! Gary's getting what he deserves but the ideas he's trying to sell are not...not yet anyway

I'd like to offer some constructive criticism regards the material I just watched in this clip but am loath to do so if the ideas are an aside to the pissing and dick-swinging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... qiuU#t=97s

Carry on
Last edited by BruceP on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby MarcSchmid on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:40 am

@Dale & Gary:
It took a while but there it is, another forum challenge, that (we all know) will never lead to anything more then insults and abusive language.

I must say, that normally I would be on Dale's side (Gary is behaving pretty badly, like he does on almost all forums I saw hi post...) but Dale, why do you have to let down yourself to his niveau?????

Anyway should this turn out to become a real fight, I would put 50£ on Dale!
MarcSchmid
Santi

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:49 am

Hehe..mouthboxer...hehe.

S- kicks back, cracks beer.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Next