My Swan Song

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

My Swan Song

Postby Buddy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:41 pm

So now I have had a couple of cocktails. And It's probably time for a long sabbatical (oh yes, when spellchecker can't recognize the words I'm trying to write...I finally have weekends off!). I'm not going to be so dramatic as to delete my account...yet. But, for me, it seems like public discourse is impossible while some folks are so rabid about what is only local history to me. I'm gonna take a break from martial arts (not like that's what I haven't been doing).

I'm not certain I like y'all that much any more.

For the folks that I've worked with, stick with Leo and Keith...and Marcus if he comes back before January. Then we'll get back to a regular schedule after the first of the year, I promise. I just have to knuckle down my new job and my online business.

Let me give props out to Mike C (my former student and friend) and Strong (because he is my friend and colleague) not just because we agree, we don't on all things political, but for being a vocal minority. Another shout to Darth Teorist for giving me props when he thought I deserved them.

Who else? Oh, of course! My boy Segs, who has my phone number and USES it. Always welcome, son.
To Steve for continually being (along with others {I bet you know who you are}) a welcome voice of reason. I respect Steve above all others (but you occasionally delve in the partisan...you know you do). Bottom line.

It's not a last will and...etc. I've been around here a long time. I may have been responsible for THE BIG BREAKUP. Ask Devere. He'll tell you what happened. I wrote him, he wrote me..shit happened, he'll tell you.

So, I don't seem to be getting a whole lot of respect now. I know boo hoo. I'd feel the same way if it wasn't me saying it now. Read my latest posts, I thought I was being...polite? Maybe it's not in me.

So,

I'm at [email protected]. It my delete the spam account. If you know me better than this you know how to get a hold of me.

Otherwise,

Be well and don't get cancer,

Buddy
Last edited by Tom on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buddy
Great Old One

Re: My Swan Song

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:01 am

Have a good one dude.
See you around. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:57 am

Well, good luck!

Remember:

Martial arts > Politics

;D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:14 am

Yo, Buddy:

Here's an Old Irish Blessing to accompany you on your personal path:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Vaya con Dios, Amigo!

Doc :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:58 am

the implication here seems to be that your opinion should have some kind of weight both martially and politically and since it doesn't get recognized you are being disrespected ? not to be a dick, but i don't get it in either case...you are just another guy here posting his opinion based on his experience and perspective. not sure how you feel slighted?......all the best to you, good luck with training and work.
somatai

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:09 am

See ya on the flipside Buddy.

You know where we are, and I'll drop you a call sometime.

S- needs to get out to boston again...too much interesting shit goes on there.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Jake on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:42 pm

somatai wrote:the implication here seems to be that your opinion should have some kind of weight both martially and politically and since it doesn't get recognized you are being disrespected ? not to be a dick, but i don't get it in either case...you are just another guy here posting his opinion based on his experience and perspective. not sure how you feel slighted?......all the best to you, good luck with training and work.

I think Buddy just feels... "Fuck it"

I recently went through the same thing on a forum that has nothing to do with martial arts but rather was a place that I helped to create. A place where in the beginning was all about friends both real and cyber (what's the difference?)

Things change. I saw it happen (regards internet saga I'm talking about right now... Real life too, but not in this context of disscussion although you could put it in there... Again, what's the difference? Drunken)

It just wasn't the same.

Good luck Buddy... You'll still check this site almost everyday for............... a...............while....................
errrrr.............
Jake
Huajing

Postby chud on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:40 pm

Buddy wrote:Let me give props out to Mike C (my former student and friend) and Strong (because he is my friend and colleague) not just because we agree, we don't on all things political, but for being a vocal minority.

I think I am a part of that minority...anyway, best of luck to you. I'm tired of a lot of the stuff related to political threads too, but I'll stick around for the IMA. Hope to see you here again sometime.
Last edited by chud on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:09 pm

Moral of the story? Repeatedly discussing politics with people who are guaranteed to disagree with you - especially on a message board - is an utterly fruitless endeavour.

Ian

Postby nianfong on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:26 pm

be well my friend. things have been getting way too heated in the political discussions recently. it'll be good to take a break from it for a while.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby MikeC on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:02 am

Thanks Bud, I'll try and drop by sometime before the white stuff falls down...
MikeC

Postby Bär on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:57 am

chud wrote:
Buddy wrote:Let me give props out to Mike C (my former student and friend) and Strong (because he is my friend and colleague) not just because we agree, we don't on all things political, but for being a vocal minority.

I think I am a part of that minority...anyway, best of luck to you. I'm tired of a lot of the stuff related to political threads too, but I'll stick around for the IMA. Hope to see you here again sometime.

You may be but you don't feel the need to be insulting, simplistic or wooden headed either. The 'vocal minority' might get more respect if they didn't result to that kind of ungentlemanly behavior so often.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby count on Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Ya, right you girly slut. This is a swan song, I've heard somewhere before. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, lady. :P

Funny we fought about politics and were supporting the same guy. Hope you grow a pair and come back. ;)

Jeff
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Bär wrote:
chud wrote:

You may be but you don't feel the need to be insulting, simplistic or wooden headed either. The 'vocal minority' might get more respect if they didn't result to that kind of ungentlemanly behavior so often.

Yes, count, steelincotton and C.Hopkins can be monotonous asshats at times can't they?
MikeC

Postby edededed on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:01 pm

Politics, schmolitics.
edededed
Great Old One

Next

Return to Been There Done That