Top 10 signs you're at the wrong Dojo:

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:26 am

10. Senior Students keep telling you to give Sifu $100.00 in “Lucky money” in a Chinese red envelops because it will “give you better kung fu”.
9. on the first day you have to hang a 80 lb. weight from your groin.
8. Your told the secret to fighting is all in the “Qi cultivation”.
7. Rainbow colored silks and robes are standard uniform.
6. hugging trees seems to get very intimate among fellow practitioners.
5. The instructor is married to a American Gladiator named Dallas.
4. Sparring usually starts with the announcement’ “fight to the death.”
3. You’re required to shave your head after you sign contract.
2. Instead of Taekwondo, your taking “Taeoneon”.
1. After you get your black belt after 2 years and $20,000, with no fighting skills, you realize the style is called, “Iconyu”.
neijia_boxer

Re: Top 10 signs you're at the wrong Dojo:

Postby gzregorz on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:21 am

someone comes in with a camera crew to challenge the teacher.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:30 am

#10. actually happened to me at a Ving Tsun (Wing chun) school.
neijia_boxer

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:37 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:34 am

The elderly master cannot demonstrate techniques on you because he is too deadly :o
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Michael Babin on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:15 pm

Many years ago. we had one clown in Ottawa teaching a hard style who used to say with a straight face to new students "I only train with my senior student in class as my chi is so powerful I might accidentally rip the muscles off your arm if I struck you too hard with my eagle claw".

We had a Chinese woman a few years later who taught ladies self-defence classes by teaching the ladies in her class to make a qi-packed fist by putting their thumbs inside their fingers when clenching the hand. She also taught them to project qi out of their palms.

Wish I wasn't making those up! :(

On the other hand, I teach my students to numb attackers by shouting the bad jokes they learn from me as they launch a counter-offensive to "an attack on da streetz}. :)
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby Eric_H on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:38 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:Top 10 signs you're at the wrong Dojo:

10. Senior Students keep telling you to give Sifu $100.00 in “Lucky money” in a Chinese red envelops because it will “give you better kung fu”.
1. After you get your black belt after 2 years and $20,000, with no fighting skills, you realize the style is called, “Iconyu”.

Sounds like *ahem* "Ohio Wing Chun" to me.
http://www.hungfakwoon.com/ - Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Global HQ.
Eric_H
Anjing

Postby Tesshu on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:01 am

There this Chinese guy (You know he is a World Champion in, er, in... er, damn. Just World Champion.) in my town. Maybe I could just post a picture of his "dojo" here? ;D
4th law of Newton: To every male action there is a female overreaction.
Tesshu
Great Old One

Postby Taichiturtle on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:23 am

Michael Babin wrote:Many years ago. we had one clown in Ottawa teaching a hard style who used to say with a straight face to new students "I only train with my senior student in class as my chi is so powerful I might accidentally rip the muscles off your arm if I struck you too hard with my eagle claw".

*lol* I've seen something similar: a master with 'electric hands' - but you only had his top student to bear testament.
Taichiturtle
Huajing

Postby fisherman on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:47 am

- They don't compete because the techniques used are too deadly for tournament use.
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:26 am

You have to be a student for five years before you compete (because exposing the student to reality would expose the school to ridicule).
Michael

Postby Andy_S on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:26 pm

The "Guru" (1) of the "Kung Fu McDojo" (2) wears a crimson, black and yellow silk "Dragon Gi" with the words "Sweat and Sour Pork" prominently emblazoned in Chinese characters on the back (3).

He holds a "12th Degree Gold Belt" (4) in the deadly art of "Street Kuhrotty" (5), has fought in "Underground Tournaments in the East" (6) and is so damned deadly with "Samurai Nunchuks" (7) that he has been banned from the UFC.

As well as being a "World Champion Street Fighter" (8) he taught "Ninja-style Sentry Removal Tactics" (9) during his doing black ops with a "Covert Special Forces Unit that He Can't Talk about as it is Still Top Secret, during the War in 'Nam" (10).

That's 10. Did I miss anything?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Tesshu on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Andy_S wrote:...
That's 10. Did I miss anything?

The mustache. You forgot the mustache.
4th law of Newton: To every male action there is a female overreaction.
Tesshu
Great Old One

Postby XinKuzi on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Michael Babin wrote:On the other hand, I teach my students to numb attackers by shouting the bad jokes they learn from me as they launch a counter-offensive to "an attack on da streetz}. :)

Reminds me of Last Resort Fighting, the absolute pinnacle of self-defense systems:

XinKuzi
Great Old One

Next

Return to Been There Done That