Teaching Women's Self Defense Through Ninjutsu

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Teaching Women's Self Defense Through Ninjutsu

Postby Cavin_M on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:32 pm

Mr Wood,

I wasn't talking about your post, it's easy to get confused about who's referring to what on a forum, I'm finding. :) It was actually Wiz's post which again seemed to simplify a very complicated topic.

I just figured that maybe information will be lost when posted in a thread that started where this one did ie. with a very dubious clip.

If I've got time over the next few days I'll try to gather my thoughts on these subjects and start a new topic.

Cavin
Cavin_M
Anjing

Postby Ian on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:46 pm

It was actually Wiz's post which again seemed to simplify a very complicated topic.

I just figured that maybe information will be lost when posted in a thread that started where this one did ie. with a very dubious clip.

My thought exactly.

If I've got time over the next few days I'll try to gather my thoughts on these subjects and start a new topic.

Please do.
Ian

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Cheers Cavin :)
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Not to plug one of my coaches but here is Crosley Gracie discussing women's SD from a bjj perspective. Warning: the hosts of the show have a shock Jock sense of humor and it's not for those who are easily offended. The topic comes up at 1:13.

http://www.insidebjj.com/2013/09/22/99-crosley-gracie/
Last edited by gzregorz on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Cavin_M wrote:
[...] dubious clip.

Cavin

Some days on, I still hope you will . I would like some other ideas than my own. I start from the premise that the average woman is a third less massive than the average man and weaker in proportion. Nothing I can teach her in six weeks will help, if we are talking unarmed. Neither am I a great proponent of the nail file or the rat tailed comb.

Anyway, I think a new topic would do more justice.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby LDShouler on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:07 pm

Klonk- six weeks of someone training 5 days a week all day long or 1 day a week for one hour changes the results enormously. That being a given, I think a focus on psychology and natural defensive instinct/reactions more than classical rehearsed techniques will/does work better. When I was 18 (many moons ago) I shudder to think what I taught as self-defense to my freinds (girls included) back then: I had just received my black belt in taekwondo(!) and thought that I knew the biz, and the format I taught in resembled the vids that Mr. Ninjitsu is sticking up on Youtube. I would say that teaching self-defense and teaching a martial art are two different things, perhaps not inherently but that depends on the motives, the aim and the time-frame of the student.
LDShouler
Anjing

Postby Cavin_M on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Cheers guys (Ian, Mr Wood, Klonk)

I've been a bit busy recently (started work at a secure mental health ward for 13-18 year olds), sorry for the delay in reply. I'll try and start writing some stuff at the weekend, got a feeling it could end up a 3000 word essay though. :) Should be fun.

Cavin
Cavin_M
Anjing

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:18 pm

Later for ninjutsu. Try fryingpanfu.

Would-be rapist has nasty bump on his head after victim whacks him with frying pan
Frank Harrison, 46, was armed with a knife, police say, but his intended victim fought him off with a cooking utensil in Tewksbury, Mass.
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2013, 9:33 AM

A knife-wielding attacker who tried to rape a woman in her hotel room ended up dialing 911 for himself after she smashed him in the face with a pan, police said.
Frank Harrison was seen sporting a nasty bump for his mug-shot after his alleged victim battered him repeatedly with the pan.
Cops claim the 46-year-old was carrying a blade as he entered the woman's room at 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning at the Extended Stay America Hotel in Tewksbury, Mass. Preventing her from leaving, he tried to sexually assault her.

But his alleged victim put up a fight — grabbing the kitchen utensil that she used to strike him in the face multiple times. A stunned Harrison fled.
Police arrived to find him covered with blood and with several cuts on his head, reports Boston.com. Harrison, of Lawrence, was arrested and faces charges of kidnapping, assault to rape while armed and indecent assault and battery on a person over the age of 14.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z2gbHkOXJY
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby liokault on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:28 am

Steve James wrote:Later for ninjutsu. Try fryingpanfu.

Would-be rapist has nasty bump on his head after victim whacks him with frying pan
Frank Harrison, 46, was armed with a knife, police say, but his intended victim fought him off with a cooking utensil in Tewksbury, Mass.
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2013, 9:33 AM

A knife-wielding attacker who tried to rape a woman in her hotel room ended up dialing 911 for himself after she smashed him in the face with a pan, police said.
Frank Harrison was seen sporting a nasty bump for his mug-shot after his alleged victim battered him repeatedly with the pan.
Cops claim the 46-year-old was carrying a blade as he entered the woman's room at 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning at the Extended Stay America Hotel in Tewksbury, Mass. Preventing her from leaving, he tried to sexually assault her.

But his alleged victim put up a fight — grabbing the kitchen utensil that she used to strike him in the face multiple times. A stunned Harrison fled.
Police arrived to find him covered with blood and with several cuts on his head, reports Boston.com. Harrison, of Lawrence, was arrested and faces charges of kidnapping, assault to rape while armed and indecent assault and battery on a person over the age of 14.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z2gbHkOXJY

She had a frying pan in a hotel room?
liokault
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:13 am

Could have been one of those hotels with kitchens in the rooms, like the ones for families. Or, she might have had a fully stocked pocketbook for just such circumstances. Hopefully, the judge won't decide that she was carrying a concealed weapon.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:00 am

Extended stay hotels, yeah, mini kitchen with a pan and a big pot. Hes lucky she didnt use the pot.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby LittleBigMouth on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Good discussion, actually, despite the arrogance of the OP. ( yeah, I know I'm gonna regret posting on the forum again, can't help meself ::) I don't think there are any wrong answers or ideas here, depends on one's perspective. That said there is one I have not yet heard mentioned ( OK if it's here already I'm lazy). Anyone who has experienced real honest to god sudden unexpected violence has certainly met Mr. Murphy- he is always hanging around.

After you get past the freeze, you know he is gonna put in an appearance. Stuff that works just fine in a drill goes sideways in reality. For example, you answer the knock on your door barefoot at night, only to have some big drunken logger yellin' and throwing punches at your face- yep you discover Mr. Miller's right about 'safety artifacts' coming right along with your finely conditioned technique.

You deal though, handle it, got him under control, and then you step on a bag of 3" decking screws some dipstick left sitting on the floor by the door ( remember your barefoot) You don't feel it, just suddenly one foot don't work right ( yes it is a real life example). That is the right time to go totally beserker and let the animal out of the cage.

So that was fun, and only has one little thing to do with Women's Self-defence, if you have the chance to go totally animal crazy on your attacker, do it. But hey, this attacker must be a frickin' hobbiest, because a pro ain't gonna give her or you the chance. If you see a knife or a frontal assault , or some other 'distraction' ,his partner is going to be taking you or her from the blind side or behind, or even maybe shoot you with a bean bag gun from 10" away ( assuming they want you or her alive, rather than happy with a warm corpse, or just your wallet and house keys) etc etc.

Hence the Pro's emphasis on awareness, positioning ( why are you walking so close to the parked cars in the under ground parking lot, and for damn sure better be heads up as you open your car door) self-awareness ( really, why are you drinking by yourself in that bar?) and no doubt many things I have no clue about, not being a pro myself.

Pepper Spray is what i usually suggest to women that are looking for a self-defence course, the type such as Mr. Wiz is presenting. Get it, get some training, practice drawing it every day, get someone to scare shit out of her and practice drawing scared. Go ahead, if you love her, let her draw and spray you while you charge her, you will go down even if you make it to her, and no it won't help with the pro assault, but she will feel more confident in her ability to stop a frontal assault, and that confidence plus the awareness skills may well deter the pros from choosing her as victim. ( shite, is that better Klonk ;D )
Last edited by LittleBigMouth on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.
LittleBigMouth
Mingjing

Postby klonk on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Hah! Welcome back. (Hint: Nobody gets a good reception here. We are fighters. If you can't take a hit, good luck with your training and all that. Best wishes.)

Some very soundly reasoned points in there. Paragraph breaks would make them easier to find. (Big key right of other keys.)

Brief note on pepper spray, do research. Some brands are not as hot as the curry at my favorite Thai restaurant. The idea is you should not defend yourself too much. In Canada, for example, and some places in the Benighted States, you have to buy bear spray to have anything useful.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby LittleBigMouth on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:42 pm

klonk wrote:Hah! Welcome back. (Hint: Nobody gets a good reception here. We are fighters. If you can't take a hit, good luck with your training and all that. Best wishes.)

Some very soundly reasoned points in there. Paragraph breaks would make them easier to find. (Big key right of other keys.)

Brief note on pepper spray, do research. Some brands are not as hot as the curry at my favorite Thai restaurant. The idea is you should not defend yourself too much. In Canada, for example, and some places in the Benighted States, you have to buy bear spray to have anything useful.

Hey Klonk, how ya been man? It ain't the hits brother, it''s my own head, get too caught up in shite. Yep, been a while since posted on a forum, hope that wasn't to unintelligible. Yes, Bear grade Pepper spray, 10% capsicum is what I'm talking about, and nowadays available in gel and foam forms so you don't have to worry so much about wind direction. Saw a Game warden drop a 1200 pound rutting moose charging him, with the spray, pretty damn sure it work on just about any man.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.
LittleBigMouth
Mingjing

Postby klonk on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Yesterday's life is yesterday's trash, pal. If somebody don't haul it away it stinks.

That's how I am.

About pepper spray, I tried some "legal in all states" spray on a handkerchief. Then I smelled the handkerchief. I sprayed the rest of it on my tacos.
klonk
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That