Teaching Women's Self Defense Through Ninjutsu

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Teaching Women's Self Defense Through Ninjutsu

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:34 am

i never had someone throw a jab or vertical punch at me,hay makers and wide swings were most common,

so then why is the first technique you show defense against a straight lunge punch ??? how many times have you seen a video of a woman being attacked in this manner ? or better yet ever heard of a woman being attacked in this way ?

since when did ancient ninja scrolls cover modern womens sd classes ? i thought they were all about magic and breaking into castles etc...
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:13 am

From my perspective of running SD courses, the content has always been heavy on awareness, avoidance, dealing with aggression people, communication skills, fear management, evasion, breakaway techniques and a couple of basic, solid strikes. Punching while moving backwards against a lunge punch has never been high on the list. And if you want to compare experience, go ahead. Not hatin, just sayin
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby wiz cool c on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:29 am

as i mentioned in the video, these are strategies,it's not going to be one two three in a fight. maybe she will use a fraction of the technique,maybe she will simple move away from the attacker[very natural reaction when scared and someone comes at you]and raise her hands,not strike the arm,maybe she will strike his throat,then run. the lunge punch can represent a punch grab or stab. this is not a crash course and i want to get her used to someone coming at her. i also mentioned in the video,that later one will learn all kind of moves against different attacks. also it is a training drill ,conditioning her to moving out the way hitting a body,gaining power in hitting pads ect
wiz cool c
Mingjing

Postby RobP2 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 am

wiz cool c wrote:as i mentioned in the video, these are strategies,it's not going to be one two three in a fight.

So wqhy teach 1,2,3. there's a danger you teach people to get good at drills and not to deal with real life. How are you teaching people to cope with fear? Are you doing any awareness or body language training?

There's a lot of information and training methods out there, one example

"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:56 am

RobP2 wrote:
wiz cool c wrote:as i mentioned in the video, these are strategies,it's not going to be one two three in a fight.

So wqhy teach 1,2,3. there's a danger you teach people to get good at drills and not to deal with real life. How are you teaching people to cope with fear? Are you doing any awareness or body language training?

There's a lot of information and training methods out there, one example

They didn't have any scrolls, their shit is fake ;)
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Simon on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:00 am

Nice post thanks Rob. Lee Morrison is a great guy to go to for this kind of stuff far more so than any 'Martial Arts'
Simon
Wuji

Postby Sajite on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 am

Women SelfDefense = 49% common sense + 49% awareness and situational training + 2% weapon deployment and use

I allways recomend women interested in SD to take up some Filipino Martial Arts training.
Sajite
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:55 am

Yeah, a woman (or anyone) needs awareness and confidence in knowing or having something that will help them if she's attacked. True, having any weapon will be useful --if it can be deployed, which is the bigger question, and if she is prepared to use it.

Drilling against straight punches is probably the least efficient, in terms of what may actually happen. Otoh, learning to deal with the fear of being hit is a start, especially if her partner doesn't play pitty-pat. Anyway, if the scenario is changed to a grab from behind (by the 200lb gorilla), there are only techniques for escape, regardless of sex. It may be harder for women to practice them and for men to practice with them.

I second the suggestion about fma, too. The sticks are great equalizers in terms of learning --and the skills are easily transferred to frying pans too :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:54 am

IMHO teaching self defense is pretty bogus.
Rather bring women to a decend fitness level and teach them like they want to enter a tournament.
Most RBSD types lack simple basic fitness attributes and would fall through highschool fitness tests.
But good points from Rob.
Last edited by Patrick on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:01 am

Was that scroll from Ashida Kim?
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:28 am

Chubby ladies need to defend themselves too sometimes, as do the elderly or infirm.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:47 am

Well, sometimes some cirucmstances do not work in your favour, but even then studies show that anyone with a decent work ethic can improve with high intense training.
Even elderly if you adapt the correct work load, hf max etc.
It may be better for self defense, as this stuff works more on the affect level than a few crappy techniques.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:08 am

Right, circumstances are not always in one's favor. Being more fit improves one's chances. However, people start from where they are. If they need sd today or in 2 weeks, then fitness will probably not matter.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:04 pm

"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby liokault on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:45 pm

liokault
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That